• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wild Pokémon encounters

What do you do when encountering wild Pokémon?

• fight all wild Pokémon encountered

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • fight most wild Pokémon encountered

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • fight some wild Pokémon encountered

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • run from most wild Pokémon encountered

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • run from some wild Pokémon encountered

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

Sirfetch’d

Early on in the games I will fight every Pokemon that I encounter because it is good training, but as the game progresses I just run from them.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
Early on in the games I will fight every Pokemon that I encounter because it is good training, but as the game progresses I just run from them.

Pretty much this for me as well.
Unless EV training. Then I depend on wild Pokemon battles. Otherwise, it's all trainer battles since they give you a lot more EXP points.

Years
It usually depends if I have to level grind or not, if I do have to grind then yes I will fight wild Pokemon. Otherwise, if it's something that I know doesn't give out many EXP I run from it.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
If my Pokémon is at, say, level thirty, and the wild Pokémon is at level eight or nine, then I will simply just run away from it. I won't be able to gain much experience points by defeating it, so really there's no reason for me to be in a match with it, honestly. If the Pokémon has a high level though, and it's got the ability to provide me with good enough experience, then maybe I will consider battling it. d:

Years
Most of the time wild Pokemon are just nuisance, though in very earlier stages of the game EXP from wild Pokemon is helpful.

Years
I'll battle some wild Pokémon, depending on the level. It's a good way to get exp points for starting a new team, or a Pokémon that's just been caught. But if the level is too low, then I'll run away.

Last edited:
Years
Early on I fight most of the wild one. When mid game comes I just skip a huge portion of them, unless I am training.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I will always battle wild Pokemon. No matter the level or the Pokemon's type (even with type disadvantage I'll battle). The only time I'll run away is when I'm rushing to the Pokemon Center to heal my team.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
I make a point never to run away, koff~

Some Pokemon have moves and abilities preventing escape, so I just knock them out because if they have some moves that can do serious harm, I'd rather just destroy them rather than get that [couldn't escape] message, koffi~

Bobith

Tossin' balls since '99
Years
Depends on how badly I need the training. In the early game everything that crosses my path gets tackled to death.

Years
  • Age 55
  • Seen Nov 13, 2014
I will fight all random encounters unless im trying to get through a cave or other area for the first time, or where it isn't easy to get back to town, to conserve my PP

Years
Early on in the game I will fight everything because I like to get my team to a respectable level so that each one of them can do well in a trainer battle. However, as the game progresses, it sort of becomes redundant so I rely on trainer battles.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 18, 2015
I only fight the wild pokemon if it's a shiny (Only two times so far), or one of my pokemon is too low leveled to fight a trainer.

EDIT: Or one I want to catch... Duh.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 19, 2022
Fight most, run away from some. If I am not wanting to battle I usually use repels anyways (like in caves or in the water). I like to keep all of my pokemon at the same exact level so there is lots of battling to do. I used to run away most of the time quite a while ago but learned it wasn't a good idea if I wanted to level up, lol.

Years
Unless there's a large level difference (more than 15 or 20), I make an effort to battle every wild Pokemon that I come across. I was bad for running away from wild Pokemon battles when I was younger, and it usually came back to bite me when facing Gym Leaders, so I learned to just battle as I go, rather than having to grind beforehand.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
Fight most of them, run from a few useless ones like patrat in BW2...9 exp...LOL.
and if i want to power-level for a gym im fighting every pokemon i can see, kill some tariners.....and such.

Back