• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Previous PotM Winner][JUNE] What is the one quote you live by, if any?

Sirfetch’d

For me it's just one of the most common and generic quotes: "never give up"

I have given up many times in my life and I have always regretted it. Now I keep going no matter what knowing even if I keep failing, at least I am trying.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Seize the day.
- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

Also known as Carpe diem. That's really the only quote I need, even though I don't always live by it and even though I've heard tons of other thoughtful things being said through my life.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 26, 2015
"Of course you are uncertain, Kalamas. Of course you are in doubt. When there are reasons for doubt, uncertainty is born. So in this case, Kalamas, don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.' When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are unskillful; these qualities are blameworthy; these qualities are criticized by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to harm & to suffering' — then you should abandon them."

This mean that traditions are not to be followed simply because they are traditions. Reports such as historical accounts or news are not to be followed simply because the source seems reliable. One's own preferences are not to be followed simply because they seem logical or resonate with one's feelings. Instead, any view or belief must be tested by the results it yields when put into practice; and to guard against the possibility of any bias or limitations in one's understanding of those results they must further be checked against the experience of people who are wise.

Years
What, no YOLO's? ;]

Off the top of my head...

"May the bridges I've burned light the way." I've done things in the past, some good and some not so good, and now I'm just going to let them carve a path for my future.

"Sometimes it's hell trying to get to heaven." Basically, to get to the good, sometimes you have to go through the bad...

bigjon357

"Pokemon brings people from all over the world together"

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 11, 2020
enhanced-buzz-9704-1279644139-14.jpg

We have a winner.

Years
Don't argue with anybody or fight with anybody without saying sorry - you may lose them the next second and you won't have a chance to apologize to them.

Years
"Pain is temporary, victory is forever"

Before I have my football games, I think this quote to myself. If I work hard, play hard, I will be tired and pained but it will pay off. I remember before the cup final we had, and this was the first time I had known of this quote, it came to my head. We ended up winning the cup.

Meaii

The countdown begins ...
Years
"Live long, and prosper!".

Whenever I am doing something that may be tricky, I just think of Star Trek. <3

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
"There's always a guarantee that certain people will dislike you. There's never a guarantee that anyone will like you. So if anyone likes you at all, you've already won."

-- Chelsea Handler

It helps me not care so much what other people think of me.

Years
"One who knows nothing can understand nothing."
-Ansem, Kingdom Hearts

You can't begin to understand things you have no knowledge about. This quote inspires me to learn more about a person/place/thing before attempting to make any judgements about it without any prior knowledge.

Last edited:

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
Years
'Always remember to smile.'
Yes I know it's cheesy and simple but I've stuck with it ever since I was 13. I'm finally getting it tattooed on my wrist in a few days so I can read it when I'm sad.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I like quotes that motivate me to do well, whether in training, work or life in general here's a couple:

"If it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you."
"If you're not going to go all the way, then why go at all?"

Here's another quote which I live by:

"I'd rather the painful truth than to be fooled by a beautiful lie..."

Knowing the truth keeps me secure.

Years
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone"

Ever since I heard this in the movie Oldboy, taken from Ella Wheeler Wilcox's poem Solitude, it has been very relevant in my life and one I have lived by.​

EJ Nero

Water forever
Years
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

This is my motivation, and has been ever since I first heard of it on Discovery Channel's 2057 documentary in 2009. The last year has been rough dealing with university, having to switch schools when I preferred not to, and just a general realization of whoa I made a few mistakes, and nothing is free anymore. There is a lot I want to do over the next few years and beyond, and despite my current issues I tell myself it's only temporary misery/pain and by next year my life will finally be moving in the direction I want it to again.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Oh I thought of another one!

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck."

This is a fantastic quote to live by because it allows me to be myself but not having to put up with it when other people want to be themselves and are not great people.

Back