• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen R/B/Y: Mewtwo and the Master Ball Rumor

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2012
I never even heard that before.

But my cousin made me believe that pressing "Exit" on the menu would
turn off the game, and that holding A would make the pokeball work better.

I still hold the button, it's a force of habit XD

Years
hahaha!i just played rby on ROM,and did catching mewtwo w/ a masterball coz of sheer annoyance that he always dodges every ball i throw even on very low hp,and yeah,my friend told me that mewtwo is very hard to catch and holding up + a or b would make catching easy,sadly,i was doing it for years,:-(,hahahaha!

hahaha!i just played rby on ROM,and did catching mewtwo w/ a masterball coz of sheer annoyance that he always dodges every ball i throw even on very low hp,and yeah,my friend told me that mewtwo is very hard to catch and holding up + a or b would make catching easy,sadly,i was doing it for years,:-(,hahahaha!

Last edited:

xxashxx

Gotta Catch Em All
Years
I caught Mewtwon in LG with only 6 Ultra Balls. He was a piece of cake. He was harder in FR for some reason though. He was kind of hard in HG too.:)

Tachikaze

九番隊 // Earth-Severing Wind
Years
I always saved my Masterball for Mewtwo anyways, so... XD

I didn't really know about catch rates and the like until GSC came out anyways, so in RBY I was almost clueless.

sethiey

Probably editing a video
Years
Shananagins, idk w/e mewtwo phhht who needs mewtwo?

Shananagins, idk w/e mewtwo phhht who needs mewtwo? legendarys -.-

Last edited:
Years
I remember that rumor, But I tried to debunk it when I was a kid because I always tried the stupid DEFETELITE4WITHBUgS9999TIMES cheats. (the dodrio game boy tower helped a lot) and I found out you can catch him with pokeballs. I was proud of myself

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
Years
Mind over matter and coincidence, thats what happens most of the time.I remember how I got hooked wit pokemon....I found a book that had the orignal 150 pokemon (No mew cuz they were evil) and all sorts of interesting "Facts" that got me thinking some interesting things. The important thing is in the book it sad that mewtwo can't stand to be in a pokeball, so therefore a mater ball must be used. Also that same book made me believe bulbasaur was hard to catch in the wild (wut?) so I ended up picking it as my starter.

Arcaray

Tetris God.
Years
When I was younger, my friend tried to persuade me that if you talk to Prof. Elm over and over again, he'd stop telling you he'd "call if anything comes up", and will get annoyed and give you a GS ball.

I'd like to add that I wasn't gullible enough to believe him.

Years
I only just found out about catch rates like....a couple years ago. Except for the Masterball, of course.

I always take it as a personal challenge to catch all of the legendaries with anything other than Masterballs. I caught my Reshiram in Black with just a regular pokeball, and it felt amazing to do so.

Still, I always either do A+Down or A+Left or B+Down. Idk, I have heard that there is some insane math involved when the game calculates whether a pokemon is caught when you throw the ball at it, and that any button-mashing does nothing, but I still push the buttons. Like vizarod said in an earlier post, "It's a force of habit".

Years
I used masterball because i didn't want to put so much effort into it seeing as he was the last legendary but if i feel like having fun i use lesser balls now days i try to get everything without masterballs its just more fun to me anyways

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Lol I've never heard of that rumor before, the only rumor I knew of was the one of Mew supposedly being under the truck, but I tried and could never even interact with it so I knew that probably wasn't true.

Years
  • Seen Apr 3, 2012
I heard of the rumor, but it was after I had already played RBY. I did use the Master Ball on him, but I don't remember why. Knowing me, it was probably because I had forgotten to buy Ultra Balls.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
Lol I've never heard of that rumor before, the only rumor I knew of was the one of Mew supposedly being under the truck, but I tried and could never even interact with it so I knew that probably wasn't true.

Only in FRLG could that truck be useful. It gives you lava cookies. XD

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2012
I think some people are missing the real point to hitting down/up and B when they throw a Pokeball...I don't think I ever really believed it upped my chances, but it was fun to believe it did...gaming is full of absurd, faith-based actions like that...as gamers I bet we do countless, pointless tricks like that that we think are important but have no effect on the game engine/math. I'm going to try to contemplate some others...

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
I catched Mewtwo with an Ultra Ball, because I thought it wouldn't be right catching the strongest Pokémon with a Master Ball. I mean, he deserves an epic fight, right?
I had a quite useless Master Ball, until I found a Shiny Geodude (FR).

Years
  • Seen Apr 15, 2019
I think some people are missing the real point to hitting down/up and B when they throw a Pokeball...I don't think I ever really believed it upped my chances, but it was fun to believe it did...gaming is full of absurd, faith-based actions like that...as gamers I bet we do countless, pointless tricks like that that we think are important but have no effect on the game engine/math. I'm going to try to contemplate some others...
Speak for yourself. I don't game to perform pointless "absurd, faith-based actions" that have no effect whatsoever (especially when playing RPGs that are heavily stat-based).

MattyJ

Serial Procrastinator
Years
All this talk of pressing A/B to make it easier when catching Pokemon reminds me of a song...
Anyone here ever heard of "Pokemon, What Happened to You?" By Alex Day?
It also mentions the truck!!

I will admit, I always had a routine of sorts that involved pressing buttons when throwing Pokeballs to make catching easier. It's a way of life! ;)

Years
I remember Mewtwo...I used the Master Ball on Articuno, and when I learned there was a Mewtwo as well, I was like "wait, wat?" So I battled it, put it to sleep, and spent 40 Ultra Balls and 20+ Great Balls on it. I started panicking because I only had the 3 Pokeballs left and didn't save so...throw Pokeball. Catch.

And ever since then, every legendary I have caught was with a Pokeball. I know, mathematically, it's kind of stupid, but I still never use anything else.

Years
Back when the only Pokemon games to play were RBY, I didn't know many other people who had the game. I didn't have the internet (lol, even for quite some time after) and I didn't really buy magazines about Pokemon/gaming, either. So I heard little to none of the rumours that most people would have heard back then; unfortunately this was one of them.
I did know a kid who liked to bs about the the games though, and he told me that Cerulean Cave had ridiculously strong Pokemon in it, and there were two Pokeballs at the end, and you had to choose one, and if you chose the wrong one, your GameBoy would permanently shut down and would never work again.

Anyway back to the topic, with Mewtwo being the rarest Pokemon in the game (bar Mew), I can understand the logic kids would have had in thinking he could only be caught with the MasterBall- what with there only being one Mewtwo and one MasterBall.

Back