• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokémon: Phoenix Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuzuki

C++ Programmer
Years
Beautiful artistic work! (Map Design especially)
Good luck on porting it to the DS :)

kind regards
Yuzuki

Years
Why does the pokemon centre have a north-south shadowcast (if that word is correct) while almost every other building have northwest-southeast shadows? Does shadow orientation change from town to town? It would be wrong (I don't know if so much as a bug) to have both at the same time...

BTW does that building in one of the night screens cast a shadow? Do buildings cast shadows in the night? I have never put enough attention but i really think they don't!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 19, 2015
I really like how this one is turning out; actually its inspiring me to push my game graphically and content wise also. :P

Years
The only thing I want to suggest is the fainting scene! I dislike the falling through the floor thing. I guess its fine with wild Pokemon but with trainers can't it be a reverse of the calling out scene? With the pokeball flying away off screen?

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years
Yeah, I don't quite like the sound of that. or at least make it for the pc and then make a port for the ds or something like that.

Eh, it seems that it's easier to make a port from DS to PC. Although, in truth, I have no idea how this stuff works, soooo...,

Anyhow, I think that the game looks great in graphics, but does DS have the ability to handle it is the question at hand, versus whether its a good thing or a bad thing. Because, truthfully, if he says he's making for the DS, I don't think he'll change his mind.

The game itself looks pretty good! I hope it releases soon though...

Last edited:

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
Eh, it seems that it's easier to make a port from DS to PC. Although, in truth, I have no idea how this stuff works, soooo...,

Anyhow, I think that the game looks great in graphics, but does DS have the ability to handle it is the question at hand, versus whether its a good thing or a bad thing. Because, truthfully, if he says he's making for the DS, I don't think he'll change his mind.

The game itself looks pretty good! I hope it releases soon though...
Since this is not a ROM hack(which means it cannot be played on a DS/PSP)...

The possibility of a port is next to impossible. Due to the fact that this is not a hack, and is made using RPG Maker XP, it only works on a computer. RMXP builds games that only a computer could handle, which is why it doesn't have the horrid limitations that ROMs have. If this were a ROM hack, it'd be 100% possible.

You cannot "port" an RMXP game. No one has ever built an interpreter for the DS or the PSP that can read and compile RGSS. Even if someone had, the hardware upon which you are trying to load it on does not have the power to run it.

Simply, if you want a DS version of a fangame, look for ROM hacks. If you want something that has WAY less limitations, but cannot run on a DS or PSP, look for RMXP or RMVX games.

Triple R

PokéFan Incognito
Years
^ That's why they're also rewriting it in C++, otherwise a port really would be impossible. If that fails, they can still keep the computer RMXP without porting.

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years

The possibility of a port is next to impossible. Due to the fact that this is not a hack, and is made using RPG Maker XP, it only works on a computer. RMXP builds games that only a computer could handle, which is why it doesn't have the horrid limitations that ROMs have. If this were a ROM hack, it'd be 100% possible.

You cannot "port" an RMXP game. No one has ever built an interpreter for the DS or the PSP that can read and compile RGSS. Even if someone had, the hardware upon which you are trying to load it on does not have the power to run it.

Simply, if you want a DS version of a fangame, look for ROM hacks. If you want something that has WAY less limitations, but cannot run on a DS or PSP, look for RMXP or RMVX games.

Ask the creator about it then. But truthfully, I don't know that much about this kind of stuff (as I said in the original post), so this kind of furthers my knowledge about this kind of stuff, so thanks. But like Triple R said, it is being written in C++...

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023

Your facts are a wee bit mis-guided there pal. Just because something hasn't been done, doesn't mean it will never be. While I know how difficult it is, it doesn't mean it's not being done. As of now, my programmer is working on such a compiler in which can convert the code. Or at least a bulk of the events and such.

Also to mention, the DS limitations aren't quite as large as you think. If a DS can run a 3D engine in a 512MB game, of course it could run PR once it's all being pushed into C++. However, also to note that the engine isn't a conversion of Pokemon Essentials, it's an entirely new engine. Which will actually be made public, I believe, or at least it will be available. Anyway, as a great somebody once said "where there's a will, there's a way". And that's what we at the PR team work by.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2015
I so want to play this game but I can't find the download link on the first post...

Can anyone tell me if there is one yet?

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
I think it is a bad idea what you're doing. Right now, with this idea of making PR into a DS version you're being very unproductive. For one, you are not contributing with the coding of making the DS engine, nor have a finished-enough DS engine to start any serious work when it comes to mapping, eventing, trainers and so on. So just waiting for someone to make a "ready for use Starter-Kit" is pretty pointless. On the other hand, if you were to continue with serious work on the RMXP version; since the RMXP games can't be ported to the DS, that would be pretty pointless too, as you'd have to redo all that work for the DS.

Looking at the other technical sides of making the game on the DS, you'd need to create the 3D models of the tiles you have. You'd have to rely on your programmer to further do codes and menus for you (to create originality within the game, and port your ideas such as the PokeStrap). All of this basically throws you back into the drawing board when it comes to your game which, again, I find pointless.

It wouldn't be an issue here, if you were just starting up a new game - then you could afford to experiment and look/wait for a starter kit on different platforms. I honestly don't understand what prompted this sudden change, in moving away from RMXP - it isn't limited at all. If you are looking for the 3D effect, it can and has been done in RMXP. If you are looking for online capabilities, they can and have been done in RMXP. If you are looking for new input/control methods, they can and have been done in RMXP. So I don't know why you say that RMXP is limited (any more than the DS is).

I think that with things being the way they are now, it will take years for a Pokemon Starter Kit on the DS to match the quality, and functionality of Pokemon Essentials. Maruno has done a fantastic job in taking care of the kit, and added so many new features which the public longed for. You can make a very good Pokemon game in RMXP with Essentials. You can't make a very good Pokemon game (yet) on the DS if it is not a ROM hack. That is why I think, that you waiting for a DS engine is very unproductive. It would be better to stick with what you have and what you know, and further expand on that. Right now it feels as if your just yanking your followers from one side to the other, not showing any real progress.

~Angel~

Lead developer for Pokémon Millennium
Years
I think it is a bad idea what you're doing. Right now, with this idea of making PR into a DS version you're being very unproductive. For one, you are not contributing with the coding of making the DS engine, nor have a finished-enough DS engine to start any serious work when it comes to mapping, eventing, trainers and so on. So just waiting for someone to make a "ready for use Starter-Kit" is pretty pointless. On the other hand, if you were to continue with serious work on the RMXP version; since the RMXP games can't be ported to the DS, that would be pretty pointless too, as you'd have to redo all that work for the DS.

Looking at the other technical sides of making the game on the DS, you'd need to create the 3D models of the tiles you have. You'd have to rely on your programmer to further do codes and menus for you (to create originality within the game, and port your ideas such as the PokeStrap). All of this basically throws you back into the drawing board when it comes to your game which, again, I find pointless.

It wouldn't be an issue here, if you were just starting up a new game - then you could afford to experiment and look/wait for a starter kit on different platforms. I honestly don't understand what prompted this sudden change, in moving away from RMXP - it isn't limited at all. If you are looking for the 3D effect, it can and has been done in RMXP. If you are looking for online capabilities, they can and have been done in RMXP. If you are looking for new input/control methods, they can and have been done in RMXP. So I don't know why you say that RMXP is limited (any more than the DS is).

I think that with things being the way they are now, it will take years for a Pokemon Starter Kit on the DS to match the quality, and functionality of Pokemon Essentials. Maruno has done a fantastic job in taking care of the kit, and added so many new features which the public longed for. You can make a very good Pokemon game in RMXP with Essentials. You can't make a very good Pokemon game (yet) on the DS if it is not a ROM hack. That is why I think, that you waiting for a DS engine is very unproductive. It would be better to stick with what you have and what you know, and further expand on that. Right now it feels as if your just yanking your followers from one side to the other, not showing any real progress.

Nice post Luka. But, coding isn't what makes the game. It's how you play it, I look forward to pokemon games with new storylines or new pokemon. I don't even carea bout the maps. He has a simple design and he made the choice of what he wants to do. Even I wanted to make it go on a DS rom. But most people can't do that. At this moment it's more about the storyline.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Nice post Luka. But, coding isn't what makes the game. It's how you play it, I look forward to pokemon games with new storylines or new pokemon. I don't even carea bout the maps. He has a simple design and he made the choice of what he wants to do. Even I wanted to make it go on a DS rom. But most people can't do that. At this moment it's more about the storyline.

Coding is a huge part of what makes a game. Coding is what decides how you play the game, as it is what makes the Game's mechanisms. Everybody seems to be forgetting that. Without the codes which created the Battle System, the codes for the Pokemon, their moves, stats, abilities you would not have a Pokemon game. I never stated that you have to go overboard with all kinds of crazy codes and systems to make a good game, and that codes are the only thing that are important in making a game; but the codes are an essential fundation, and are what make the game look and feel the way you want it. If all you look for is a storyline, go read a book. One cannot make a game without coding. The reason that you and other developers here can make games without having any knowledge of coding, is that you have tools such as RMXP and Essentials designed specifically for people like you, people with little coding knowledge or experience, which do that work for you. So it is very rude, to just glance over these details, and not even acknowledge their importance to you.

~Angel~

Lead developer for Pokémon Millennium
Years
Coding is a huge part of what makes a game. Coding is what decides how you play the game, as it is what makes the Game's mechanisms. Everybody seems to be forgetting that. Without the codes which created the Battle System, the codes for the Pokemon, their moves, stats, abilities you would not have a Pokemon game. I never stated that you have to go overboard with all kinds of crazy codes and systems to make a good game, and that codes are the only thing that are important in making a game; but the codes are an essential fundation, and are what make the game look and feel the way you want it. If all you look for is a storyline, go read a book. One cannot make a game without coding. The reason that you and other developers here can make games without having any knowledge of coding, is that you have tools such as RMXP and Essentials designed specifically for people like you, people with little coding knowledge or experience, which do that work for you. So it is very rude, to just glance over these details, and not even acknowledge their importance to you.

Codes only matter for binding the game into one piece to make it what it is. The real thing that matters is the storyline. Not all people care about the code. They don't just look forward to the graphics or into the code. Some people play it for the fun.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Codes only matter for binding the game into one piece to make it what it is.

Only? Are you listening to yourself. That is like saying: "The base foundation of a skyscraper is only used to support the skyscraper, but what's really important is actually the carpeting we are going to use in the rooms."

I don't know how to say it any other way: Without a game's engine(s), there is no game.

Storyline is put into the game via codes.

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
Codes only matter for binding the game into one piece to make it what it is. The real thing that matters is the storyline. Not all people care about the code. They don't just look forward to the graphics or into the code. Some people play it for the fun.

No code = No maps = No events = No menus = No game. Just something to think about with what you just said there. Become a coder, and you'll then understand this perspective.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2013

Hahahahahaha, you're one funny guy.

Code is what makes games function. You cannot have a game without code. You can, however, have a game without a storyline. Or just a very basic storyline that's only given to you in the instruction manual rather than during the course of actual gameplay.

It doesn't matter if you, as a game player, don't care about the code. Players aren't expected to consciously care or think about the code, they're expected to care about the fun gameplay... which is defined by the code.

So if you play games for the fun, then you have the code to thank for making the games fun.

Anyway... since people continue to insist on discussing whether the DS version of Pheonix Rising is a good idea or not, despite Abnegation already asking for it to cease, I figure I'd throw my two cents out there.

The logic, as I understand it, for making the DS port is because Abnegation doesn't want Pheonix Rising to be stuck on the PC where it may not get a lot of downloads. But I don't think porting it to the DS will make the game any more popular... more people will download it for PC than people will try to figure out how to get it running on their DS. It's not like you'll be able to sell game carts with the game loaded onto it, like an official release. So I think the logic behind porting it to the DS is a little bit flawed. It may not be as cool or glamorous as a PC executable, but I think it'd be more popular in that format.

But that being said, it would be pretty awesome to see this running on the DS like an official game. So even though I think the logic behind the port doesn't add up, I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad idea. Go with whatever makes you happy. But also keep in mind that you're making this game to be played, and there's already lots of people eagerly awaiting its release... including me. Most of us understand that making a game doesn't happen over night, but you don't want to keep us waiting too long nonetheless. People could lose interest and forget.

Last edited:

Atomic Reactor

I don't really see the problem about discussing changing game engines? It's specifically about the game, so it's on topic. And a few good points keep getting brought into the mix. So it's not really fair to be asked to stop talking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back