• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tyranitar Vs Aggron,New Gen

Aggron(/Mega) vs Tyranitar(/Mega)

• Aggron

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Tyranitar

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

vonretic

Multiuniversal
Years
Ok so with the new games out Tyranitar and Aggron are back,now having mega evolutions each.So I have to admit it that they look super cool in their new mega evolutions,I have to say now that I can't decide which looks cooler but I've searched on the internet,to see what other people choose,so I've found this particular old thread on pokecommunity and I've seen what others choose and like between the two.So ,I'm making this thread to see again after so long what people choose now with the new mega evolutions.I really can't decide because now Aggron is a bit resistent with his new pure Steel type and Filter abillity to half the super-effectives and both looks too cool for me to choose.
You can find all the info and the images of their mega evolutions on PokemonDB.
Who do you choose/like and why?!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Personally, I'm more of a Tyranitar fan. Design-wise, it looks quite fierce to me, which I really like! Its mega-evolution form looks pretty decent, too. Aggron's mega form is okay, but to be honest, it looks like an exact replica of Black Kyurem, just with a different color scheme. xD Not only is Tyranitar awesome-looking, but it's also quite powerful. When it comes to battling, it could withstand many attacks and survive a lot of turns. I've once been in a battle with this Pokémon, and it's been able to take two Surf attacks in a row—a move that it's super-effective to. Isn't that amazing? Tyranitar's got a variety of moves in its arsenal as well which you may find to be very useful, including Crunch, Stone Edge, Superpower, and Pursuit. Crunch can take down many of your opponent's ghosts-types, as well as a few psychic. With Superpower, you're able to take down various walls, such as Chansey and Blissey. Stone Edge allows you to defeat flying- and fire-type Pokémon, which are very common in competitive play. Finally, with Pursuit, you can make your opposing Pokémon faint in an instant if it's trying to switch. This Pokémon has access to Sand Stream, too, by the way! If your team is focused around sandstorm, then this ability can come in very handy. :)

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Tyranitar is way better. The Mega form took away Aggron's main weaknesses, but it also took away the biggest reason to use it, which was Rock Head and Head Smash. Mega Tyranitar plays basically the same as regular Tyranitar.

In their regular forms, no contest. Tyranitar is vastly superior, though I like Aggron.

Years
It might not be the popular opinion (hmm... maybe something else to add to my post in that thread), but I've always found Tyranitar to be a little overrated. I don't really care for its design or its typing, and it seems like it's powerful just for the sake of it.

Aggron on the other hand, is one of my favorite Hoenn Pokemon, partially because I love Aron, and because I've always found myself drawn to Steel types. It also one of my two best Pokemon in my first Sapphire playthrough, so I had a special attachment with it.

I haven't seen either's Mega Evolutions yet (and I don't plan on it until I see them in game), but I don't think that would be enough to sway me away from voting Aggron.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
In general, I prefer Aggron over Tyranitar. I've never liked Tyranitar much and don't really understand the love for it. It's got a cool typing, sure, but its looks isn't that great. Its head is so tiny! And it's like a less thought through Rhydon kinda.

Aggron now, it is badass. It and Lairon sure are Rhyhorn/Rhydon copies, but with the steel thing they make it work. Aggron was a silent fav of mine in the Hoenn games, it has this mean and cool look while Rhydon looked mostly friendly and Tyranitar mostly silly. Imo!

corocoro-mega-tyranitar-aggron_zps353507a1.jpg

Their mega forms are pretty cool, especially Tyranitar's though. Some armor growing out from its chest like a flower or something? It adds to its design and makes it look like a knight rather than as some overgrown cartoon godzilla.

Aggron's mega evo though is a bit dull in comparison. It looks like it adds to its defense and makes it the embodiment of a tank. I don't like it more than regular Aggron, while I like mega Tyranitar a lot more than regular Tyranitar.

In the end, I'd prefer Mega Tyranitar in this choice :)

vonretic

Multiuniversal
Years
until now I can see that tyranitar is winning but I must say that in stats mega tyranitar is pretty powerful now even his speed goes up wich is good,but in how they look well I don't know why but I like more aggron

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Tyranitar's Mega design is far cooler. I think Agrron's is a little try-hardish, and it doesn't get much that Mega Tyranitar isn't better at. MAggron's Defense is crazy, but I don't care - I don't like it at all. Tyranitar master race.

Years
Definitely Aggron. Maybe it took away Rock Head and Head Smash, but this new Gen may have given it some good tools or improves ones it already had. It still outweighs a lot of Pokemon so Heavy Slam continues to be an option for it. And if still has high Defense then Filter will minimize the damage even more, allowing it to switch in safely.

If anything, it could be used for casual battling. It is still awesome.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I voted for MTyranitar. MAggron just looks so bloated that the fact that its speed hasn't reduced makes it ridiculous. MTyranitar is the prime example of a monster. It looks much bigger and scarier, with tree branches growing out of its body it just makes me wonder why it isn't a part grass type. :P

Sirfetch’d

Mega Aggron all the way for me! When I saw that these two Pokemon were getting mega evolutions I was so excited. Mega Tyranitar was highly expected because of the fact that it is a popular Pokemon as well as a pseudo legend so I wasn't surprised there, but Mega Aggron was a shocker for me. I had never expected this wonderful Pokemon to get a mega evolution. He was designed perfectly, has amazing typing, and a good ability to back it up. His defense is through the roof and just overall an amazing Pokemon. Mega T-tar is great as well, but it doesn't top Mega Aggron in my book ;D

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Mega Tyranitar just gets some weird shoulder spikes and a dumb color scheme. Mega Aggron turns into a full-on knight. While Mega Tyranitar looks like a complete monster, Mega Aggron looks like the badass knight that goes and kills the monster. Definitely Mega Aggron.

Back