• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

XY Set Impressions!

Years
Okay, since XY was officially released today, I'd like to hear people's impressions on the set, since I'm sure a few of you have bought packs already.

What did you think of the EX cards? How do the odds of pulling rares seem to be? Anything seem particularly common from packs in your area? Anything seem to play as well as you'd like? Anything surprise you?

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
It says everywhere that its released tomorrow not today. Anyway i dont really like this set that much. I'm only thinking of buying a box just to collect the fairy stables that im going to need later on if i do ever run a fairy deck. That and Muscle BAND! I will have you...

DeekBoy

Go Kick Rocks
Years
I am looking forward to this set and can't wait to get my box today. Growing up I was never fortunate enough to get a box. This will be my first booster box and I am extremely excited. The last set I collected was the Gym series.

Years
It says everywhere that its released tomorrow not today. Anyway i dont really like this set that much. I'm only thinking of buying a box just to collect the fairy stables that im going to need later on if i do ever run a fairy deck. That and Muscle BAND! I will have you...

Whoops, my bad. I thought the 5th was a Tuesday for some reason.

I get the feeling this, like many base sets before it, will just be a teaser of the potential to come and all the sets afterward will change competitive play much more dramatically.

I am looking forward to this set and can't wait to get my box today. Growing up I was never fortunate enough to get a box. This will be my first booster box and I am extremely excited. The last set I collected was the Gym series.

Wow, it seems you've been out of the collecting side for a long time! I think you'll find the increased rate of shiny things quite enjoyable in your XY booster box!

DeekBoy

Go Kick Rocks
Years
Whoops, my bad. I thought the 5th was a Tuesday for some reason.

I get the feeling this, like many base sets before it, will just be a teaser of the potential to come and all the sets afterward will change competitive play much more dramatically.

Wow, it seems you've been out of the collecting side for a long time! I think you'll find the increased rate of shiny things quite enjoyable in your XY booster box!

Before this year I didn't care much for all the newer Pokemon and only loved the only gen1 but with X and Y opening my mind up to new Pokemon I have gone back to the cards as well. Can't have enough Pokemon these days :P

Years
Before this year I didn't care much for all the newer Pokemon and only loved the only gen1 but with X and Y opening my mind up to new Pokemon I have gone back to the cards as well. Can't have enough Pokemon these days :P

How was your box?

I've personally not been impressed with the set's foils and my poor pull rates.

I do like the trainers quite a bit, though.

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
I feel like the pull rates were average for pokemon. LT was just crazy.

1 FA and 2 EXs is usual. Though i did get a PLB set with like 3 FA and 2 RA Ex.

Years
I feel like the pull rates were average for pokemon. LT was just crazy.

1 FA and 2 EXs is usual. Though i did get a PLB set with like 3 FA and 2 RA Ex.

... maybe I should just buy a full booster box and skip the random chance nonsense of the individually blistered boosters from Target.

Notice any immediate impacts the set has made on competitive play outside of EvoSoda?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
I really do not like the holos, I definitely think the Black and White design is better. To me they look like those promos you get from Target where they packaged it themselves and sell it for 5 dollars.

Years
I really do not like the holos, I definitely think the Black and White design is better. To me they look like those promos you get from Target where they packaged it themselves and sell it for 5 dollars.

You mean the officially packaged blister packs with the promos in them? I don't think the new foil really resembles those at all. Most of those used the older starry foil pattern and the shattered glass pattern. The XY one is much more bland than those, in my opinion. It reminds me more of the foil on "Super Rare" cards from Yu-Gi-Oh!, such as the card Penguin Soldier.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't like this set at all. I'm feeling even worse about it than I felt about Black/White and Diamond/Pearl. I generally don't like the first sets in new generations, though. This just continues the trend. I really hate the new holo. I thought it couldn't get worse than the horizontal holo, but no, they found a way. At least the horizontal holo got better as the sets progressed, and I'm hoping that's the same with the XY sets to come, or at least more fitting backgrounds to work well with the holo. That was BW's problem I thought.

The artwork has been nice, though. I'll give it that. It's got a great mix of cute, detailed, and interesting art. As for pull rates though, they're terrible. My friend got a booster box and didn't get anything that great. I've opened at least 10 packs and haven't gotten anything to write home about either. Not even one holo. I'd say the holo rare rates are down for this set. I don't know many that are having good luck with this set like with some of the BW sets. And I'm keeping up with a good number of collectors. I've never gone this long without a holo or ex of some kind. Just strange.

Overall, this isn't a set I'm interested in at all and I'm actually a bit disappointed. I don't know how it stands competitively, but I'm on a collective and interest standpoint, lol.

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
As far as impact of this set. I feel like Evosoda isnt a huge thing. Its only okay imo. As long as stuff like Level, Ultra Ball or something like that exists. Those will always be better. Evosoda is just so specific that i feel like its just a bad card.

Things that did make an impact are stuff like Muscle Band and Yevltal. Some minor things like Trevenant, Fairies, and Rainbow Energy are also have an impact on the Meta. Though not as much as the first 2.

Yevltal is so broken. That one card has changed dark so much. They went from being heavily focused on defense without any huge attackers. But now with Yevltal Ex, they can drop stuff like Sableye and go all out offensive. It's first attack always does like 60 damage at the very least for 2 energy.

Muscle band changes things so much. 20 more damage for any pokemon is huge. Plasma might be a huge threat again with that card. Slap that on Lugia and you have potential to 1HKO most Exs with it and Deoxys. With thundurus hitting for 50 without Deoxys is also pretty crazy, it will probably be hitting 80 damage with its first attack for only 1 energy while charging your bench. Also with Yevltal being weak to Electric, Thundurus will be more heavily played to counter it. 160 (3 deoxys and 1 muscle band) for 1 energy is pretty crazy. Especially since Yevtal's damage depends on the defending pokemons energy. It also gives them reason to play 4 Deoxys to attempt OHKOs.

Years
As far as impact of this set. I feel like Evosoda isnt a huge thing. Its only okay imo. As long as stuff like Level, Ultra Ball or something like that exists. Those will always be better. Evosoda is just so specific that i feel like its just a bad card.

Things that did make an impact are stuff like Muscle Band and Yevltal. Some minor things like Trevenant, Fairies, and Rainbow Energy are also have an impact on the Meta. Though not as much as the first 2.

Yevltal is so broken. That one card has changed dark so much. They went from being heavily focused on defense without any huge attackers. But now with Yevltal Ex, they can drop stuff like Sableye and go all out offensive. It's first attack always does like 60 damage at the very least for 2 energy.

Muscle band changes things so much. 20 more damage for any pokemon is huge. Plasma might be a huge threat again with that card. Slap that on Lugia and you have potential to 1HKO most Exs with it and Deoxys. With thundurus hitting for 50 without Deoxys is also pretty crazy, it will probably be hitting 80 damage with its first attack for only 1 energy while charging your bench. Also with Yevltal being weak to Electric, Thundurus will be more heavily played to counter it. 160 (3 deoxys and 1 muscle band) for 1 energy is pretty crazy. Especially since Yevtal's damage depends on the defending pokemons energy. It also gives them reason to play 4 Deoxys to attempt OHKOs.

After getting a look at Yvetal, holy crap is it broken! Dark really didn't need any help. :(

As for Muscle Band, +20 damage without having to give up an extra prize is amazing.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 25, 2014
I'm really enjoying this expansion set. A ton of good cards. I already put 4 Team Flare Grunts into my deck, haha.

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
I dont think team flare grunt is worth 4 slots in a deck. Maybe 1 or 2 of. But thats at most.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 25, 2014
Probably not worth 4, but if it were an Item it'd be so very broken like Energy Removal was back in the day.

Might be worth 4 copies of in decks that focus entirely on disruption, though.

Yeah, my decks about disruption. Funnest way for me to play.

Years
N is probably better overall for disruption decks, but what really matters is keeping Garbodor alive in competitive disruption decks. Team Flare Grunt is definitely not the best Trainer in the set, though. That belongs to Muscle Band and Professor Sycamore.

Back