• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
I absolutely want kids, there is no doubt in my mind about that. I've always wanted them, they've been a goal in my life for as long as I can remember. Hell, I would be satisfied with just one kid, as long as I have someone in my life I can call my kid. I realize it's not likely for me to have one biologically, as much as I desire so; it's probably just not going to happen. i'm open to the idea of surrogacy, but to be honest, that seems far too expensive for me and I'm also scared of what could happen. What if something happens to the woman carrying my child? What if she decides to disappear and take my unborn child with her? The latter is not likely at all, but I'd no doubt have a few nightmares about it happening. Also, something bothers me about me saying it's MY child that's inside of her. I realize that it has my DNA and all, but after all the woman has done, doesn't she have a right to say it's her child too? I don't want to get caught up in any emotional guilt derived from taking something which gestated inside her for nine months and then living my life without her seeing the child at all. Isn't that whats preferred by doctors or whatever? I don't know. But really, surrogacy wouldn't really work with me at all. So I think I'm going to choose adoption in the end. It seems like a safer option to me and plus I won't be bringing another mouth to feed into the world, I'll instead be saving one and giving him or her a loving home. Look, in the end, having children will be good for me no matter how I go about having them, but i think adoption is the better out of the options I have.

Lateon

The Eon Follower
Years
Wifey and I were also thinking about being a surrogate for a gay couple. I guess this is more achievable for us since we have a ridiculous amount of gay friends, but we were thinking a "we carry your baby, you give us sperm so we can have our own" type thing. I'm not sure how I feel about it in the end, since there is the whole carrying a living being inside you for nine months- you do bond with it, no matter if you can see it or not. But that's also an option that's out there. =)

Years
Kids. Sometimes I have moments of weakness where I think it might be nice to raise a child. Then I snap back to my senses and realize I would never be a good parent, don't like most children on sight, and want to have the freedom to live my own life.

I would be fine with adopting if I ever changed my mind. Actually, that's the only way I'd do it.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
If I ever weakened and decided I wanted children, that's exactly what I'd do as well. I doubt it would ever happen, but if 15 years in the future I decide a child is something I need in my life, adoption is really the only option I would ever consider.

The benefits of adoption are just too great to pass up. You aren't bringing another unnecessary human being into a world that already has far too many; you're evening out the balance for all those idiots people that can't seem to figure out that sex results in infants and have more than three; you're giving a child a home when he/she needs one; and most importantly you can choose what child you get so you can pick one that's old enough that you miss out on those horrible early years with the 3am feedings and the diaper changes.

If I ever adopted a kid, I'd adopt one that was like eleven years old. That would be pretty awesome; you skip straight to the cool years. Even then, I probably won't lol.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
I definitely want to be a father one day. Call me old fashioned or less inclined to be alone. In truth, a deal breaker for me is someone who is adamant about not having kids. My family just brought me up that way, and I dunno, looking at myself as an old man- when everything boils down, you have what you consider family. I don't want to be the old man just sitting there, doing something dull, while everyone in his family has drifted away or died. What if my siblings die before me? My parents will be long gone. And once my husband goes, if he goes first, who do I have left to connect to? Friends? What if I don't have any? Even if I do, they have their own family and personal problems. I don't want my problems just piling on to theirs. I don't want to force someone to care about me while they're experiencing their own twilight years.

And I don't think I'd make a bad Dad. I love my own Dad, and to be a good one passing down not only the good parts of my own father but the good parts of myself to someone, just seems fantastic. Not only that, but it'd bring me closer to my husband, wouldn't it? Besides the fact that my husband would be 150% hotter by being a good Dad too.

Perhaps having kids and a family to be apart of in my adult life would rip out that bit of material selfishness I have in myself, too. It's a learning and improving experience for everyone (if done correctly. Of course, there are crappy families out there and not everyone should be a parent.)

I don't know how I'd approach it. By the looks of it now, it's In-Vitro. But you never know. It's a discussion I'd would have to have with my husband. Adopting definitely has its benefits for the child and parent (Child: Home and Family, Parent: Babies are cute but stop peeing everywhere and sopiahfnibnfkjsdb and having a kid that's past that age is pretty cool and you still are a parent.) But adopting could take years, and I don't want to be an "old dad." I don't want to be in my mid-fifties and have my oldest be just five or something. Think about that. When they're 20, I'd be 70. NO.

That and I want more then one kid. Probably all boys, 2-4 least-most. Since little girls may be adorable but they're annoying and I would be helpless trying to explain puberty or what they should expect. I'm a gay male. I didn't need to learn any of it. OISAUHDILUH.

And I'd like to pass on my last name, too. By the looks of it, I may be the only viable descendant to pass it on since my brother is all like "I want kids!" and future wifey is all like "Nuuuuu" so he's all like "D'oh-kayyyy."

So passing on the family name and blood for sure was left to a gay guy. wat.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
There's this homosexual guy I know that has times where he acts and dresses masculine, and times where he acts and dresses feminine (not cross-dressing, though).

He's not trans, or anything like that.

What label describes him?

droomph

weeb
Years
There's this homosexual guy I know that has times where he acts and dresses masculine, and times where he acts and dresses feminine (not cross-dressing, though).

He's not trans, or anything like that.

What label describes him?
He's gay, but he has a shifting view of his sexuality. That's the only way I can describe him.

Lateon

The Eon Follower
Years
I wanted to pop in and express frustrtion at the federal government >.>

So as you guys know I recently got married. Because my company is awesome, I got to add Kelly to my health insurance. I'm not sure how many of you deal with health insurance through work, but as you know, health insurance is pre-tax, so it gets taken out and you pay less in taxes, so you take home more money.

Well, not for us apparently! The government taxes it as a domestic partnership instead of a marriage. So I'm paying more in taxes. I can't swear, but I REALLY REALLY want to right now >.< Stick it in your ear, Feds.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018

So as you guys know I recently got married. Because my company is awesome, I got to add Kelly to my health insurance. I'm not sure how many of you deal with health insurance through work, but as you know, health insurance is pre-tax, so it gets taken out and you pay less in taxes, so you take home more money.

Well, not for us apparently! The government taxes it as a domestic partnership instead of a marriage. So I'm paying more in taxes. I can't swear, but I REALLY REALLY want to right now >.< Stick it in your ear, Feds.

This is due to the Defense of Marriage Act.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
This is due to the Defense of Marriage Act.

Useful reply.

Lateon that sucks so much, it's ridiculous that your marriage - even if it is counted as a domestic partnership - doesn't count as the same.

Tax has nothing to do with religiousness and so it's atrocious that those unified in 'marriage' get different benefits to any other couple.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I like to think of marriage as just a title. Even if the law won't allow/restricts it, you can still consider yourselves married. I remember children doing that, I think they've actually got the right idea.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
Flame, the whole point is that Lateon and her wife do not receive the same benefits. So federal legal restrictions are major issues; the title should be federally recognized. Unofficial marriages are not the solution.

For the first time in 15 years since DOMA was enacted, a presidential Administration does not support DOMA (as of last year), declaring it unconstitutional. Over the past two years many members of Congress have been trying to swing a DOMA Repeal Bill, but have not succeeded. I think that it could be accomplished this year, but you never know how the 2012 election will affect the Presidential and Congressional actions. If Obama is re-elected, it's very likely we will see a repeal :). With Romney...not happening :(

OBAMA 2012!

Also let's say Romney is elected...since federal courts are now being asked to assess DOMA's constitutionality. The legislation could very well be voided by the US Supreme Court once it reaches that level.

Last edited:
Years
I don't think you're going to see something like that happening this year since it's an election year and politicians don't want to attract the ire of (anti-gay) voters by attempting to repeal something that has almost no chance to being repealed in congress.

Shining Raichu

Years
Does anybody ever feel like they really need to make a point to the world, but what they're trying to say goes so far against everybody's programming that it'll never get through to anybody because when you say it everybody just looks at you like you're crazy? I feel like that a lot of the time. Reading these posts about people who want children so badly makes me feel like that, because my views on this are so out there in comparison to the way everybody else thinks and the response I get whenever I try to put them across is just complete opposition and judgment.

Basically the way I feel is this: I feel like we're all in a factory somewhere and everybody is just riding the conveyor belt through their lives. They go to school, go to college, get married, have children, watch them grow, retire, grow old and die - and that's enough for them because as long as they have children, nothing else matters. And it seems to me that everybody is being fooled into thinking that this is what they actually want for themselves. So everybody is just on this conveyor belt in blissful ignorance that that is where they are, and there is a giant wall of soundproof glass. I'm on the other side of the soundproof glass, running alongside the conveyor belt, just screeching at the top of my lungs, "STOP! EVERYBODY STOP! IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE LIKE THIS! JUST JUMP OFF! IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY" but nobody can hear me.

But I feel like I would just be so satisfied if I could get through to one person. If one person just really heard me and I could make them come to their senses and think "hey yeah, it really doesn't have to be this way".

Does anybody ever feel that way?

Anyway, if you'll all bear with me I'm going to pick Kiyoshi's post apart. Kiyoshi, I'm not picking on you, it's just that your post has a lot of things I've heard one million times that I don't agree with. It's just easier to quote what you're saying than to think of all the individual points myself :P

when everything boils down, you have what you consider family. I don't want to be the old man just sitting there, doing something dull, while everyone in his family has drifted away or died. What if my siblings die before me? My parents will be long gone. And once my husband goes, if he goes first, who do I have left to connect to? Friends? What if I don't have any? Even if I do, they have their own family and personal problems. I don't want my problems just piling on to theirs. I don't want to force someone to care about me while they're experiencing their own twilight years.
There's an old saying that says something along the lines of "you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family," but I've always believed that that is a pile of crap. Of course you can choose your family, the one great thing about this life is that you can do whatever you want. Because of this, I really disagree with the idea that the options are either have children or die a lonely old burden. What you do is fill your life with people who love you and would do anything for you, and you make them your family. If that means children for you then that's fine, but it doesn't have to. It seems to me that this idea that you have to have children or some sort of blood relation is a fear tactic that the older generation try to plant in our heads to get grandchildren – whether they say it outright or pass it down with the way they live their lives.

it'd bring me closer to my husband, wouldn't it?
No, if anything it drives couples apart. Couples with children divorce all the time because the stresses of life (one of which is children, like it or not) begin to eat at their marriage until they can't live with each other anymore. Even if you disregard that, from what I understand when you have children your whole life and your whole heart becomes all-pervasively consumed by them. It brings you closer to your children, but it doesn't bring you closer to your husband. It can't, because what it does is it makes your love for each other secondary to your love for them. It makes your love for everything secondary to your love for them.

This is known because parents say it all the time: once you have children, they become the center of your universe and nothing else matters. And the disturbing part is they say it in a way that suggests that it is a good thing and everybody else seems to take it that way! Meanwhile I'm just looking on in disbelief, wondering how the hell not even one other person finds that concept utterly horrifying.

What makes that so disturbing when it comes to children specifically is that it's different from forming that kind of love for anything else. When you love and value your partner above all others, for instance, you know that there is a reason for it; they've spent time together and grown to love each other and it has been earned. But in the case of children, it's practically glandular. It happens automatically and merely by virtue of their existence. Honestly, how is that not a repulsive concept? How is that thought not distressing to anyone else?

Besides the fact that my husband would be 150% hotter by being a good Dad too.
I totally recognise that this one is just my bias at work, but I really don't see that either lol. People seeing the father in the park picking up his crying child to comfort it and immediately wanting to tear off his clothes and do him right then and there. The way I see it, the way you be hot is by being hot – but people seem to think nurturing instincts are sexy. Is this an aspect of our conditioning that has just skipped me altogether?

You have to remember what I said above, too – no matter how hot it makes him, he will never be that way with you. You will always be secondary to that child that makes him so hot.

Perhaps having kids and a family to be apart of in my adult life would rip out that bit of material selfishness I have in myself, too. It's a learning and improving experience for everyone
Is material selfishness really that negative a trait? I've always thought of the ability to be materialistic is one of life's greatest luxuries, and why somebody would actively want to draw that out of themselves is just beyond me – particularly since it's so unnecessary. Materialism is often associated with being shallow, but that is so far from the truth. You can enjoy having nice things and still have a completely meaningful life, it isn't a one-or-the-other type of situation.

So it might change you, but in my view it's more of a lateral move than an improvement. And if you take into account the fact that when people have kids they talk about nothing else other than kids, it might be a demotion :P

And I'd like to pass on my last name, too.
This! THIS IS WHAT BAFFLES ME BEYOND ALL ELSE!

Just… WHY? Why the hell is that so important to people? It's a name!

tumblr_m2s69dGb6H1rn6wmk.gif

I'm the only person with the power to pass on my family's name and I'm not having children whatsoever. And I am absolutely fine with that. I just don't see why it's such a big deal to everybody.

/rant

Well, thank you for bearing with me through that outburst, I feel a lot better now XD. I didn't post that to try and change your minds about having kids or anything, it's just really frustrating when you see something that's messed up and you try and talk about it and everybody looks at you like you're the messed up one so I just want to see if there's anybody who gets even a little bit what I'm trying to say lol.

Also, I'm bringing this up to you guys because we can't have kids naturally so if we're gonna have kids we have to really want them because we have to go to extraordinary lengths to have them. That means that as gay people generally we should feel less pressure to have kids, so I feel like if anybody is going to get what I'm saying, it's gonna be one of you guys.

Last edited:

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Does anybody ever feel like they really need to make a point to the world, but what they're trying to say goes so far against everybody's programming that it'll never get through to anybody because when you say it everybody just looks at you like you're crazy? I feel like that a lot of the time. Reading these posts about people who want children so badly makes me feel like that, because my views on this are so out there in comparison to the way everybody else thinks and the response I get whenever I try to put them across is just complete opposition and judgment.

Basically the way I feel is this: I feel like we're all in a factory somewhere and everybody is just riding the conveyor belt through their lives. They go to school, go to college, get married, have children, watch them grow, retire, grow old and die - and that's enough for them because as long as they have children, nothing else matters. And it seems to me that everybody is being fooled into thinking that this is what they actually want for themselves. So everybody is just on this conveyor belt in blissful ignorance that that is where they are, and there is a giant wall of soundproof glass. I'm on the other side of the soundproof glass, running alongside the conveyor belt, just screeching at the top of my lungs, "STOP! EVERYBODY STOP! IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE LIKE THIS! JUST JUMP OFF! IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY" but nobody can hear me.

But I feel like I would just be so satisfied if I could get through to one person. If one person just really heard me and I could make them come to their senses and think "hey yeah, it really doesn't have to be this way".

Does anybody ever feel that way?

I don't have much to say, other than yes. I feel this way entirely. Not just about children but about many other things.

As for children, I'd like them. Though, I'm more interested in contributing towards raising less mindless/ignorant generations of people than just having them as a status, on accident or letting them define myself, my potential marriage, my family or continuing a bloodline.

Years
Prop 8 news. So I heard on the news that the defenders of Prop 8 have been in a large part relying on the study by a doctor (whose name I frustratingly can't remember or find reference to in my quick internet search) who concluded that some gay people can change their sexuality. Now he's saying he no longer believes this and is sorry for all the people he may have caused harm by leading them to believe they could change.

Aaaaannnnnnd in response to Andy's philosophical meanderings.

It's funny (well, not funny funny, just the word I use for interesting) that the whole gays rights movement is, essentially, a fight to let us be boring, normal people with the kind of life that Andy is raging against. I can totally see how, when spelled out, it's a kind of lackluster and seemingly meaningless life, but at the same time I can't imagine how I would feel if I knew I could never have that kind of like no matter how hard I tried. Well, I kind of do know that feeling, but that was then this is now. Point is, sometimes I feel like I want some of those boring things even though I'll be the first to admit that it's kind of crazy for me to want them.

Also, I'm bringing this up to you guys because we can't have kids naturally so if we're gonna have kids we have to really want them because we have to go to extraordinary lengths to have them. That means that as gay people generally we should feel less pressure to have kids, so I feel like if anybody is going to get what I'm saying, it's gonna be one of you guys.
Some of us can have children 'naturally' if they have wombs. Bit of a minority in this club though, I'll admit. These gals can have kids the 'natural' way if they can just "sit back and think of England" if you follow me. It helps if they enjoy it though. (I'm reading a book about this right now actually - google "upsuck" if you dare.) Of course I'm just saying all this to question what "natural" even means and ask aloud why we consider one way 'natural' and another not.

Years

Thanks a lot, DOMA! :D

/sarcasm

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
Years
That's just downright silly. Why would they even call it a marriage if it gets treated by the government as a domestic partnership. It's like people somehow believe that the inequality lies within what they name their partnership. I swear, some countries...

Lateon

The Eon Follower
Years

I totally see where you are coming from with this, because I used to feel the same way. Sometimes I still do, to be honest, because I have times where I think "Why on earth would I want to bring a kid in this world? I screwed my DOG up so much he has to be on prozac, what would I do with kids?". And I look around at all the bigotry, hatred, school shootings, and everything else going on, especially with the economy, and I just can't believe ANYBODY would want to bring another life into the world knowing what they will have to grow up to deal with.

But who knows- maybe things will be different in five or so years if that's when we decide it's time to have kids though the world will probably still suck. I do want to have a familly- with children- not because it's a "conveyor belt" thing, but because I want to raise them with values, which is something kids these days just don't seem to have. I want to help them build a treehouse, recite lines for the school play, practice soccer, get on the schoolbus, argue with teachers on their behalf, whatever it is they need to do to grow up into civilized human beings. Basically, I want to do all the things with a child and a family that I didn't get to do because my mother was a twatwaffle. I want to raise a human that can make a difference in the world.

And sure, things won't always turn out the way they seem. Maybe my kid will turn out to hate being outdoors, or is a teacher's pet, or (heaven forbid) hates to read. And sure, my kid probably won't be the next Gandhi. But that's part of bringing another human being into the world- they are a human, with their own likes and dislikes. Just smaller.

Shining Raichu

Years
Well I guess I'm glad some people seem to kind of understand what I'm saying haha. It does make me feel a little better.

Back