• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon Epic Emerald (Final release)

Cataclyptic

Everything I say is a lie
Years
1/1/21
I couldn't quit it in the end. I fixed nearly all the bugs, added some more features, and then enhanced some existing ones. This will be the true final release.

12/13/20
Well... due to varying amounts of Gen3 nostalgia over the years, I present to you the final version of Pokemon Epic (Fail) Emerald. I have edited everything down below to reflect this. I am definitely not a good hacker, but I think the final result will be at least a fun time. I mostly finished it for my own sake, so don't take this project too seriously.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Hello everyone, Cataclyptic here (Yes, the one from deviantArt). A long time ago, I decided to put my hat into the hacking ring and the result was several billion disasters in which I learned I don't know how to hack. You all have no idea how many times I had to fix a broken bag sprite. The answer is more than three.

Anyway, Pokemon Epic Emerald was a project in which I, a story writer, would alter the text of everything in the game to make it comedy gold. Sadly there was no convenient way for me to alter said text and a bunch of things happened in real life which caused me to quit the project. Worse, my hacking skills are deplorable so just about everything I wanted to put in couldn't be done by me.

As such, Epic Emerald was abandoned. But... well... bouts of Gen 3 nostalgia every now and then pushed me to at least make it a decent hack. And as of the most recent bout, Epic Emerald is now *completed* in a sense. The story has remained unaltered, the game can now be considered a difficulty/convenience hack instead.

--Features--

- All 386 Pokemon available before the Elite Four, in appropriate locations
- Pokemon edits (base stats, learnsets, a few type changes) to make them all viable in the game- pick your favorites and use them.
- Move edits: some moves are added, some are enhanced, others changed completely. A few have comedic names in reference to the original project's goal.
- The Fairy type and other type edits
- The Physical/Special split
- Difficulty mod: Trainers will actually use good movesets and held items. This will make the game harder to complete, but not necessarily grinding hell.
- All TM's have infinite uses
- Legendaries appear in different locations- explore to find them all
- Kyogre and Groudon can now be obtained after getting the 8th gym badge instead of after the Elite Four, talk to the man in the weather institute like usual.
- You can use ANY pokemon in the Battle Frontier
- Jaun is not a water type gym leader for obvious reasons. He still gives out Water Pulse because there are no fairy TM's and I'm scared to alter his script.
- Oldale Town mart sells rare berries.
- The whole hack is really pretty simple. No mega evolutions, no Z moves, no giagntamax- just normal pokemon doing normal battling, as Arceus intended.
- The Kantonian birds have been replaced with their Galarian counterparts because I felt like it.
- The lilycove department store special sale is always open. In addition, the store now sells heart scales and rare berries.
- The Trick Master now has ACTUALLY GOOD ITEMS in his trick house instead of mail!
- Map edits! Not too crazy, but map edits nonetheless for convivence purposes!
--------Documentation of all the changes is included within the primary file.

--Known bugs--
- The hidesprite command does not work. I am convinced that the game itself is broken in this specific manner because I can copy scripts verbatum and it STILL doesn't work. As a result of this, the static encounters can be weird. Some of them don't disappear, some give more than one of the same pokemon. It doesn't break the game though so it should be fine.
- Trainers John and Jay use the default movesets of their old pokemon for some reason.
- Zapdos's pokedex entry does not center.
- The Galarian birds have odd entry animations because I have no idea how to animate. At least they look cool.
- Wally catches a Charmander in the tutorial. This one was originally intended to set up Wally as a Genwunner in the original project, but now I can't seem to change it back...

Finally, please pick up the National Pokedex from Lardo on route 102, it will make the game easier. I don't know how to make it mandatory.

===============================================================================================================
Screenshots:

Epic%20emerald%20screen%204_zps5erpzh8l.png
screen%20capture%2012_zps8iu2mvnb.png
Pokemon%20Epic%20Emerald%20Version%202%20pic%205_zpsk6n13jhp.png
Pokemon%20Epic%20Emerald%20Version%202%20pic%203_zpscyh3xg2z.png
Pokemon%20Epic%20Emerald%20Version%202%20pic%204_zps2pwtagwz.png

2258de75-dd30-497c-bfd9-bd6b9836d7ef
Pokemon_Epic_Emerald1.png
Pokemon_Epic_Emerald2.png
Pokemon_Epic_Emerald3.png
Pokemon_Epic_Emerald4.png
Pokemon_Epic_Emerald5.png

Galarian_Bird_G3_sprites_completed.png

===============================================================================================================

Final Version: 2.0View attachment 79679

Attachments

• Epic Emerald 2.1.zip
    275.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

tudou

also: Datudou, Cyanyans
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen yesterday
This looks interesting... I will probably try this.

If you need an easy way to include trainer opponent Pokemon only, try using the limbo slots between Celebi and Treecko. Change the sprites and stats and they should work, although you shouldn't use these slots for Pokemon the player can catch. It makes the game screw up.

Perhaps you could make getting the national dex necessary by having the guy that gives it to you block off the path and having him disappear after upgrading the dex.

You just need to change the animation pointer for a move in a tool such as G3T to change the animation, and you can make it so that the former two-charge moves display the other animation. You would need to ask around for the specific pointers, though.
That's that for now.

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
Years
This game is way to epic for a low valued noob like me...

Cataclyptic

Years
This looks interesting... I will probably try this.

If you need an easy way to include trainer opponent Pokemon only, try using the limbo slots between Celebi and Treecko. Change the sprites and stats and they should work, although you shouldn't use these slots for Pokemon the player can catch. It makes the game screw up.

Perhaps you could make getting the national dex necessary by having the guy that gives it to you block off the path and having him disappear after upgrading the dex.

You just need to change the animation pointer for a move in a tool such as G3T to change the animation, and you can make it so that the former two-charge moves display the other animation. You would need to ask around for the specific pointers, though.
That's that for now.

The national dex thing I am working on doing it just like you said. Scripting takes a while for me is all.

The entires between treecko and celebi, I have also tried to make new trainer only pokemon. The last time it didn't work out but I'll try again at your suggestion.

tudou

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen yesterday
Ok, I had some time to look through the changelogs and here's my thoughts:
What's the reasoning behind keeping Giga Drain and Mega (aka Drain) Punch 60 power? Grass doesn't have many reliable strong attacks, and Frenzy Plant's distribution isn't very great. Also, Drain Punch has 15 pp and Giga Drain should too.
That's an interesting interpretation of Fly. Although you only get one Aerial Ace TM, unlike the reuseable Fly. Problematic? Maybe.
I believe that changing Surf to hit both opponents plus ally doesn't work at all, as it will only hit one of the opponents for some reason.
I should play the game soon, but I'm playing a bunch of other hacks, so I will make time for it later.

Cataclyptic

Years
Ok, I had some time to look through the changelogs and here's my thoughts:
What's the reasoning behind keeping Giga Drain and Mega (aka Drain) Punch 60 power? Grass doesn't have many reliable strong attacks, and Frenzy Plant's distribution isn't very great. Also, Drain Punch has 15 pp and Giga Drain should too.
That's an interesting interpretation of Fly. Although you only get one Aerial Ace TM, unlike the reuseable Fly. Problematic? Maybe.
I believe that changing Surf to hit both opponents plus ally doesn't work at all, as it will only hit one of the opponents for some reason.
I should play the game soon, but I'm playing a bunch of other hacks, so I will make time for it later.

In order:

As a competitive battler, I felt as though a higher BP for Giga Drain and Drain Punch would have been detrimental to ADV, as they would be *too* reliable to pass up, so to speak, and would make the game too easy. Remember that in ADV, most moves are still 60-80 BP on average and I wanted to continue that. Maybe I'll increase them to 65 but definately no more for good recover moves. As for the 10PP thing, that was a typo. I thought I corrected that to 15PP before I submit the thing...

I'll put that in next update for sure. As for the TM thing, I am researching several ways to have multiple TM's. Probably you will have to buy them at the Lilycove store, but on the plus side all 50 will be there. And finally, for surf, I'm certain it works because I just selected the same effect as Earthquake, which works within the game.

If you have any other comments then I am open!

tudou

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen yesterday
In order:

As a competitive battler, I felt as though a higher BP for Giga Drain and Drain Punch would have been detrimental to ADV, as they would be *too* reliable to pass up, so to speak, and would make the game too easy. Remember that in ADV, most moves are still 60-80 BP on average and I wanted to continue that. Maybe I'll increase them to 65 but definately no more for good recover moves. As for the 10PP thing, that was a typo. I thought I corrected that to 15PP before I submit the thing...

I'll put that in next update for sure. As for the TM thing, I am researching several ways to have multiple TM's. Probably you will have to buy them at the Lilycove store, but on the plus side all 50 will be there. And finally, for surf, I'm certain it works because I just selected the same effect as Earthquake, which works within the game.

If you have any other comments then I am open!

Ok, I understand your stance on Giga Drain and Drain Punch.
Infinite TMs may also be an option, but I'm not sure on how hard that is to implement. There are hacks out there with that feature though.
For some reason, only Earthquake uses that effect properly, and giving a move its range won't work properly. At least I think. I recently played a hack where Discharge was implemented but it only hit one of my Pokemon got hit by it in a Double Battle when it was used against me.

Cataclyptic

Years
ok, so far, i found two bugs, First of all, the first battle tent, there is a dude that gives you torment, but it turned out to be heat wave
Second: The wally rebattle at Mauville City, he has a ralts, not a charmander.

The second one isn't a bug, it's something I haven't done yet (no trainer teams have been edited yet)

The first one though... It actually worked!? See, I tried to replace TM's and the first one I did was Torment, I tried to change it to Heat Wave just to see if it would work, but the computer said it didn't work so I left it alone, thinking it was atill Torment.

Apparently it DID work... Huh... Why isn't it showing up that it worked then...? Either way I'll put that up. Thank you for notifying me.

For some reason, only Earthquake uses that effect properly, and giving a move its range won't work properly. At least I think. I recently played a hack where Discharge was implemented but it only hit one of my Pokemon got hit by it in a Double Battle when it was used against me.

You're right on this. Surf still hits both opponents due to a typo, but even when I set it to the same effect as earthquake it still doesn't work- like you said it just hits one target.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • U.S
  • Seen Dec 6, 2017
http://prntscr.com/83bqtx So I made it, beat the game in 24:33, I don't really know how fast that is, anyways, In the CHAMPION battle, The wailord uses stockpile, but it didnt show the defense and the spd raise, i don't really know if it did raise or not. You might want to check that.

tudou

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen yesterday
http://prntscr.com/83bqtx So I made it, beat the game in 24:33, I don't really know how fast that is, anyways, In the CHAMPION battle, The wailord uses stockpile, but it didnt show the defense and the spd raise, i don't really know if it did raise or not. You might want to check that.

That's not actually a bug, as Stockpile causes the Defense and Special Defense raise from Generation 4 onwards, so those stats won't raise in Generation 3.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 13, 2020
you should switch the gym types just to mess with trainers. Gather up all those water or grass types, just to be smashed by the fire or grass type gym leader

Years
  • Age 26
  • U.S
  • Seen Dec 6, 2017
Hey, Um So This thing about Mew, It's not going to listen to you no matter what, Since you "encounter" mew not on his island, the pokemon doesn't listen to you, So that mew in steven's chamber, ain't gonna listen. You might wanna see if you wanna/can change it or not.

Last edited:

Cataclyptic

Years
Thread bump because version two is finally released! You can't transfer your old save file sadly, since there was so much content I added that I needed a new rom. Good luck with version two!!

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
You should really look into that, sideshows hacks these days really need to hack the S/P split otherwise it's feels like a lot of pokemon are held back by not being able to use good movesets because of their lack of Attack or Sp.Atk

Back