• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Who was the hardest Gym Leader in B/W?

Hardest Gym Leader in B/W?

• Total voters
Years
Yeah, another remake for a topic that died out.

So, we know that the Unova Gym Leaders have unique strategies to pick on you with making some totally challenging?

Who was the hardest Gym Leader for you in Black and White?

Ice Car

Banned
Years
Damn it, I meant to vote for the elemental trio. They're pretty annoying when you first start out. Pretty much every gym leader after that is really easy, except maybe Lenora if you're unprepared (Herdier's Take Down REALLY HURTS, and Watchog can be really annoying with Confuse Ray). None of them were challenging at all, which really disappointed me.

TheLeetCasualGamer

Hi, I'm strange :3
Years
Black and White had very easy Gym battles for the most part. If you came slightly prepared, they go down way too easy. You want to pull off strategy and verity just for the hell of it, you can probably pull off move combinations that will never work.

Although, to be fair to B/W, Gym leaders were never really that difficult to begin with if you know what you're up against. Most the ones that were hard throughout the Pokemon generations was mainly due to unfair balance or game design issues (freaking Clare and her over-leveled Kingdra) B/W, especially with a lot of fixed mechanics and had overall balanced out Pokemon, just made things even easier.

Although I would probably vote for Lenora (sadly) She was probably one of few that was hard to gain an advantage towards. You can only get one fighting type at that point. And in my first game, was probably the only one placing me in a sticky situation because I didn't know what to expect from her.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Although I would probably vote for Lenora (sadly) She was probably one of few that was hard to gain an advantage towards. You can only get one fighting type at that point. And in my first game, was probably the only one placing me in a sticky situation because I didn't know what to expect from her.
Au contraire. Throh and Sawk are both available in the Pinwheel Forest outer area in B/W, one in shaking grass. Both are fighting types.

I do agree that Lenora was the one I had to take a second crack at. I also went in against Clay early just to see how he battled. His "starter" was annoying too, but after some leveling, he had no hope.

Cyclone

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Well Lenora is difficult, I was not willing to train a Sawk just for that battle. Clay could get hard if you let Excadrill set up but you'll often be able to kill it without such worry.

I was disappointed with Drayden. I even trained a Beartic to help against him, but Moxie Krookodile owned him really hard.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Au contraire. Throh and Sawk are both available in the Pinwheel Forest outer area in B/W, one in shaking grass. Both are fighting types.

I do agree that Lenora was the one I had to take a second crack at. I also went in against Clay early just to see how he battled. His "starter" was annoying too, but after some leveling, he had no hope.

Cyclone

Also adding in that there was Timburr too. :3

Anywayyy... I always win the first time (if I lose, I reset), but I sucked the most against the earlier ones because I couldn't grind as much as I could later on in the games (or at least, grinding was harder).

Also the dragon gym was hard because so many dragons (!) and it was hard to escape without having faced everything. The actual leaders were okay, though!

Years
For me, a tie between Lenora and Drayden.

I was a little unprepared when I faced Lenora, I caught myself a female Timburr (yes, FEMALE) that did most of the work (I had Dewott as a backup) but oh man, Retaliate really screwed me. I won on the first try though.

Drayden was just as hard as I didn't have any Ice-types on my team. His Dragon Dance spamming literally got me scared, I beat him in the end though with just two Pokemon.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Anywayyy... I always win the first time (if I lose, I reset), but I sucked the most against the earlier ones because I couldn't grind as much as I could later on in the games (or at least, grinding was harder).
LMAO, I'm the same; I save before the battle, find I have to pay 720 Pokédollars for losing, and say "See ya!", resetting. I'm a bad loser to in-game NPCs. *g*

Cyclone

Years
Which one... I voted Drayden/Iris.

Why ? It's simple.

The triplets you only battle against the type who have an advantage on your. So, you receive a kind gift... (the monkey you need to beat the gym leader, a little training and you beat his team easily).

Lenora we can find battle type near his gym. And it's not difficult to train a battle pokémon with the Audino...

Burgh if you took the fire type as starter... If you took the water or grass it could be a little harder to beat him. BUT if you train your team on road 4 before fighting him, you could meet a fire type... (a little training is efficient).

Elesa... only I you choose the oshawott starter, you could have some difficult (if you don't take a good pokemon). But with a Maractus, it's really easy.

Clay, a pokemon water or ground is really good but you can also use a fire pokemon. Once his Excadrill is knock out, it's easy to win.

Skyla... it's the easiest gym for me... (Yeah, if you use a electric pokemon it's easiest), but it's not really difficult to win there.

Brycen esay just like burgh. If you have fire starter (or if you pick a fire type on road 4, he's enough train to fight against ice).

The more difficult for me, is to fight against dragon leader. Because, to be efficient, you need a dragon or an ice pokemon. But you only find ice or dragon in previous town. So, it's a little short to train the pokemon before go in front of gym leader.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
The more difficult for me, is to fight against dragon leader. Because, to be efficient, you need a dragon or an ice pokemon. But you only find ice or dragon in previous town. So, it's a little short to train the pokemon before go in front of gym leader.
Incorrect, completely. You can find Vanillite in Cold Storage. The area is missing in B2/W2, but this forum is B/W, and it still exists here. :D

Additionally, if it's winter, you'll have a 15% chance of finding Vanillite around Route 6. They are missing in other seasons. The reason they appear in Cold Storage year-round is because it's so darn cold there.

Cyclone

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
None of the gym leaders really managed to give me any trouble, but if I had to choose one, it would be Lenora. Retaliate got to be pretty strong in the end. She also is the person I was asked to help defeat the most by others.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Lenora was pretty tough for me because of Herdier and Watchog having high Attack at that point in the game. A boosted Retaliate also hurt loads and Watchog's Hypnosis was annoying.

Sirfetch’d

Tie between Cilan and Lenora. With Cilan it was hard because I did not train my Pansear because I did not know about Audino training at the time and it took soooooooo long just battling lillipups, patrats, and purloins and Lenora's Retaliate got me because my Dewott had a nature that hurt it speed and it was slow and got KO'd. Had to win on a VERY lucky Critical Hit from pansear. The rest were pretty easy, Iris's gym was tough getting through with all the trainers but she herself was easy. Clay and Brycen were the easiest, I KO'd all of their pokes with one pokemon.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Tie between Cilan and Lenora. With Cilan it was hard because I did not train my Pansear because I did not know about Audino training at the time and it took soooooooo long just battling lillipups, patrats, and purloins and Lenora's Retaliate got me because my Dewott had a nature that hurt it speed and it was slow and got KO'd. Had to win on a VERY lucky Critical Hit from pansear. The rest were pretty easy, Iris's gym was tough getting through with all the trainers but she herself was easy. Clay and Brycen were the easiest, I KO'd all of their pokes with one pokemon.

Actually you can't use Audinos to train before the first gym. You have to train Pansear the old-fashioned way, and they take so much to level... And unfortunately Pansear comes with *gasp* Incinerate. If you don't train it, Pansage might even be able to knock it out.

Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2012
Lenora posed the greatest threat, but I always grind-level my pokemon enough to beat gym leaders on my first try... so far anyways! Maybe next gen they'll get me =0.

Years
Elesa was the hardest Gym Leader for me. I chose Oshawott, so Electric types were a beotch for me. But, eventually, I was able to figure out a good strategy for beating her. Gigalith was a real lifesaver for me.

Back