• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen An introduction of new types...?

Guy

just a guy
Years
Here's another way to look at it. What type would you make Umbreon if the dark type never existed? What type would you make Steelix if steel never existed.
To be fair, from that perspective, I'm not really sure we would actually have Umbreon since one could say it was practically made for the introduction of the Dark type. Where as with Steelix, they could have placed it under Rock/Ground if need be. That being said, the whole purpose of Dark and Steel being introduced back in Gen II in the first place was because the type system was off balance and it needed to be better rounded off going into another generation. Should they introduce another type, they would have to go through the type system once again and make sure it remains balanced.

I disagree with the argument that says the lack of newer types limits GameFreak's creativity when it comes to bringing in new Pokémon. You can't really say that when there's still a number of type combinations they have yet to use.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2013
To be fair, from that perspective, I'm not really sure we would actually have Umbreon since one could say it was practically made for the introduction of the Dark type. Where as with Steelix, they could have placed it under Rock/Ground if need be. That being said, the whole purpose of Dark and Steel being introduced back in Gen II in the first place was because the type system was off balance and it needed to be better rounded off going into another generation. Should they introduce another type, they would have to go through the type system once again and make sure it remains balanced.

I disagree with the argument that says the lack of newer types limits GameFreak's creativity when it comes to bringing in new Pokémon. You can't really say that when there's still a number of type combinations they have yet to use.

I never said a lack of new types limits Game Freak, but you can't argue that adding a new type doesn't open new doors for pokemon creation.

I understand the type match up problems that adding a new type brings. I'm just trying to bring a different view to the equation.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I never said a lack of new types limits Game Freak, but you can't argue that adding a new type doesn't open new doors for pokemon creation.

I understand the type match up problems that adding a new type brings. I'm just trying to bring a different view to the equation.
Yes, bringing in a new type can certainly open new doors for what sort of new Pokémon can be created. The simple idea of adding in the much popular "Light" type alone stirs up quite a few ideas in the back of my head. I was just saying that if anyone thought that GameFreak not choosing to create new types limits their creativity or withholds them from using a Pokémon they want, then I disagree. I was never specifically saying that you said said that though.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I guess it just kind of opens the question of how these new types eg. Light can influence the other types. What if it's a 'stand alone' type that isn't effective against any other type, or maybe more effective, or just... neutral to the others? Well, bottom line, new types can be quite interesting in practice! It's just how would they work -in- practice.

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2013
I hope that there will be a Nature, Demonic, Technologic, or a Ancient Type in upcoming Pokemon Games

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I don't think new types might come, the only time new ones were introduced were Dark/Steel/etc in Gen II, if there is a Light type, legendaries might be the only ones to get it xD

BlockedHeart

Pokemon Master
Years
I don't think that they will add new types, last generation was a tiny bit off competitively, and if they add new types, things might get a little more wonky. I wouldn't be opposed, however, to a few Pokemon, (Possibly Legendaries.) having 3 types this gen... but nothing that would allow them to be extremely OP, for example, Fire, Water, Grass, wouldn't work... But for Charizard, Flying, Fire, and Dragon could be useful typing.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
I honestly can't see new types coming right now, as since most people have had experience with Pokemon quite a bit it would be frustrating to learn the new types advantages and disadvantages, etc. weaknesses and super effectivenesses. If its only one type that would be fine but multiple of them can be tedious. However for a new type, I'd like to see some sort of 'light' type not like Electric but more like the opposite of dark.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
to all the ppl suggesting new types: please stop it!
i know it's nice to let our imagination work and all that (in fact, it's one of the reasons why i like pokemon so much, because there's a lot left for our own interpretation and imagination) but honestly we don't even have the entire chart explored and that same chart is already unbalanced enough as it is (i know stealth rock didn't help but it was unbalanced since the beginning).
what i would like to see is an overhaul regarding the effectiveness of at least some of the current types.

we don't need a light type to counter dark, we already have fighting for that purpose.
and light as an element is already covered more than well by fire, psychic and especially electric.
to all the other types suggested, just because you already have niche types which were a bad decision for the most part as shown by their usually "terrible" status, it doesn't mean they should aggravate the problem by intruducing more irrelevant and incoherent stuff to the games.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I honestly can't see new types coming right now, as since most people have had experience with Pokemon quite a bit it would be frustrating to learn the new types advantages and disadvantages, etc. weaknesses and super effectivenesses. If its only one type that would be fine but multiple of them can be tedious. However for a new type, I'd like to see some sort of 'light' type not like Electric but more like the opposite of dark.

I completely agree, I too... would only like to see one new type (hoping that it's Light-type).

If there was more than one new type made, then just imagine how more difficult would be to fit in the type chart to make sure there's no type combinations that has no weakness. xD

But if it is just Light-type, I'm sure it would fix the type chart so that all type combinations have a weakness and a resistance. ;)

Years
The only reason a new type would need to be created is to give a boost to poison types who suffer severely from lack of reliable, powerful STAB since grass is the only thing weak to it. It would also be helpful if it were to be resisted by ice types who need the extra defensive help.

This is about the only way I could see them adding a new type. It's fairly balanced as it is now. As stated by many, many others above me, Dark and Steel were only introduced to bring a bit more balance to the system. Although other types would be a fun change, but it would take a very large re-working of a very familiar system. It could throw off alot of people, New Players might be able to take it with stride, but anyone that's been playing since Gen 2 would probally have alot of trouble adusting, and the thing would end up being a bunch of fan-hate even though some people would really like to see new types (Light, Digital)

I also don't see the need for a type that can directly counter dark, as Dark is already weak to Fighting, and there are some nice Fight types out there already.

DTep

Arcanine4evar
Years
  • Seen Jan 24, 2013
I do not want new types to be introduced, and my main reason for not wanting this is because of all the type combinations that are yet unused. Adding in all these combos with new Pokemon (a lot of them would be poison/with another type; like fire/poison or electric/poison), would still bring in new struggles and strategies to be used by those Pokemon or when you are facing them.

Here is an article showing the 44 unused combinations :http://op.kiriska.com/2010/09/pokemon-type-combinations-yet-unused/

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
I actually disagree with the people saying a new type would upset the type balance - it strikes me as a far easier way to level the playing field than giving massive buffs to Poison, Ice, Grass, Bug etc etc while trying to think of some way to cut down Dragon types. However, having to change the type of truckloads of old Pokémon, introducing new moves / abilities etc etc would be quite the undertaking on GameFreak's part, not to mention something of a headache for fans.

I am against the creation of new types, primarily because all the fan ideas are either redundant (Light just seems unnecessary) or downright terrible ('Sound', the type exclusively built for Exploud!). If they manage to come up with a pokémon that doesn't fit into any of the current types (and isn't based on something manmade) then I won't be mad at GF creating a new type for them, but it's hard for me to picture one.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I've said this some time ago in another thread, but the Sound type can be pretty interesting to toy with. Like... take Psychic vs. Sound.

See, Psychic has to do with controlling stuff the mind. Moves like Darkness and Bug are super effective against Psychic because they "infect" the mind in some way. (well, and the whole psychic "balance" issues from Gen I) Sound can also affect the mind in numerous ways, in both good, and bad. I can see them not-effecting each other, personally, but it can work in... whatever they would decide to do, like Sound being effective against Psychic, etc, etc.

Well, that was one idea. Again, it's all in the matter of just how would they work in practice if GF decides to make new types.

Evoslingerr

III Generation Enthusiast
Years
As many people have debated before on this,there may be a chance of getting the Light type.
types

I read in some other forums that this Light type (or Saint type) was actuallly happening, but considering how Psychic type is often regarded as the actual "light" type, I don't see it happening now. I hope the introduce some other types, though.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
Is Psychic is light, why doesn't it have any effect on Dark types?

Light banishes dark...

If they did introduce it I'd like to see both types have a weakness to the other, kinda how Dragon is weak to dragon

Years
  • Seen Aug 19, 2023
1 Legendary looks pure dark type, so A pure light type would be nececary to balance it out... i guess.

Years
THERE WILL BE NOT BE A LIGHT TYPE STOP IT

This has come up the past few times we've gotten new games. Psychic, as a type, parallels and alludes to light and light archetypes so there's that. And with Miracle Eye, Psychic can hit Dark.

New combinations of types? Probably. New types altogether? No.

Years
Oh, Live.

But yeah, Light doesn't work either in the sense of actual light (Psychic, Fire, Electric, and some moves of other types cover this already) or in the sense of "goodness" since Fighting sort of covers this as a type (in the sense of fighting fairly), Pokemon have a happiness level, and in general Pokemon is already a kind of default "good" when they've bonded with their trainer. How can you get more good than good?

Years
Hahahaha Livewire.

But yeah, I do agree with him that we shouldn't have any new types introduced cos it could affect the whole current type balance. Dark and Steel were introduced back in Gen 2 to better counteract Psychic (and more stronger Bug-type attacks and Pokemon were introduced in following generations) and the reason Light will never become a type because Psychic, Fire and Electric sorta cover that.

Back