• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Singing Contest

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020

Get Together 2013: Singing Competition

hosted by Anarchit3cht and Lady Gunner

Break out the lemon juice and start singing "do re mi..." because you're going to need to warm up your vocal chords for the 2013 edition of the Singing Competition!

Woah there Superstar, there's some rules you gotta read first!

The Rules

• Follow All of PC's Rules! No exceptions!
  • The entry that you submit must have been made specifically for this competition. That is, you can't post that Youtube video of you singing in the shower that you made last week. Yes, I know you sound amazing, but you gotta give someone else a chance, too! Also, sorry, but no original songs.
  • There is no using another person's work as your own. If you do, I will find out and you will automatically be eliminated. The same goes for using voice modifying software such as Autotune--we don't need another Rebecca Black here! I'd rather hear an ear-drum shattering voice than a synthesized one.
  • Post your entries with the song name and original artist to this page. I don't really care what method you use to upload it, but if there is any issues viewing your submission, then you're the one that is going to lose out. My suggestion? Don't wait until the last minute so that you can avoid these problems.
  • Entries will be accepted until 8:00 P.M. (GMT-08/Pacific) on July 8.
  • All Entries will be judged off of a specific set of criteria which is available below. All Judges' decisions are final and not debatable.

Entry Rubric

There are three factors here that are going to be considered: overall ability, song choice, and performance.

Overall Ability refers to how enjoyable your entry is. This is determined purely by listening and giving a score based on how well your piece comes together as a whole. There is nothing specific being looked for here, merely that you did well within your own abilities.

Song Choice refers to, obviously, the choice of song you made. Not everyone can hit those high notes or sing a perfect staccato, and it WILL show. Choose a song that is within your abilities, as we will compare the original song to your entry. If it turns out that you are just missing every note, then your score pay the price.

Performance is basically whether or not you messed up. Too long of a pause? Forgot a few words? Try not to make those simple mistakes(or if you do, fix them!) because they will detract from you score. While this overlaps with song choice somewhat, this is a key difference. I understand that when people sing songs, they aren't always trying to make a perfect imitation. As such, this section will compare your song against... your own song! If you sing the chorus too fast the second time around or something of that sort, then again, you will lose points.

All of these are given a score from 1 to 10 which is then averaged to compile your final score.

Prizes

TBA

Last edited:

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
Entering again this year. Unfortunately, it peeks quite a bit at some points, but I couldn't quite avoid it, and I kinda liked how this recording turned out. So yeah :p

The song is Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen.

https://soundcloud.com/olli97-1/hallelujah

Can't wait to hear what other people bring!

Don't worry, I'm going to try to respect recording discrepancy a little bit, but to that end, I'm no miracle worker.

PekoponTAS

Game Boy Advance Fan
Years
So here's a question, do I have to play the music too? Or can I just take the existing version of the song, turn it down so you can only really hear the music, and sing on top of that? If that's the case, I have a song I'd like to sing since I can do the inflictions pretty well.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
^ Usually it's not required. I've entered in the past with no background music.

Anyway, is there a certain time requirement for the song or do we have to sing the whole thing? And is there a reason that the entries can't be posted on the 8th? I know that's the last date of GT, but there are always events that get extended, especially for judging, and only having two days to enter this kind of contest is a bit...pressing idk. Especially if we live in a house full of people and we don't want them hearing us singing! If it doesn't get extended, no worries. Just wanna make sure I actually enter this year as I didn't last year ugh. >.<

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
Years
Hey guys, uh, for convenience, also link or embed, or whatever floats yer boat, the original song that you are trying to sing. So that means we have to see 2 links/embeds/whatever. The original song and the cover. Thanks! :)

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
^ Usually it's not required. I've entered in the past with no background music.

Anyway, is there a certain time requirement for the song or do we have to sing the whole thing? And is there a reason that the entries can't be posted on the 8th? I know that's the last date of GT, but there are always events that get extended, especially for judging, and only having two days to enter this kind of contest is a bit...pressing idk. Especially if we live in a house full of people and we don't want them hearing us singing! If it doesn't get extended, no worries. Just wanna make sure I actually enter this year as I didn't last year ugh. >.<

I dunno. But that seems to be a pretty good reason so I'll extend it. Thanks for the feedback! No time requirement, but yes, the whole song should be sung.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
It definitely does! So far it's not even really a contest... If you know anyone else, FORCE THEM TO COME SING HERE :D

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
Years
I love singing! Actually I'm pretty bad at singing, but I will send in an entry nevertheless. : o

ナギ

P r e p a r e .
Years
since i think this is the only Get-Together event i'll be any good at, i'll participate too! i'll record my song tomorrow morning though, since it's 1 AM here right now and i haven't even decided which song would be best. {XD} japanese songs aren't banned or anything right? those are the only ones i have proper instrumental versions for...

but um. count on something! in about 9 hours.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I am struggling with picking a song. I've entered this in the past, but I'm still always incredibly nervous before doing so. I know you said we have to do the whole song, but could it still count if we do most of a song rather than the full thing? If not, that's okay. I have a ton of options...it's just hard to pick asjlkdfjalsd.

Expect something regardless! ;; It's just hard to record when I live with four other people and I don't want them being like WUTCHU SINGIN FOR or something.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
This contest is extended until Tuesday July 9th 11:59 PM EDT. Please get your entries in soon! I hope it's not an issue for our judges, but the GT can be a bit flexible. :)

Edit: Wednesday July 10th. I expect Ozzy to serenade me now.

Last edited:

ナギ

P r e p a r e .
Years
well, this isn't going to win me any prizes, but at least i joined. lol.
turns out my dad's working home today... and he doesn't like loud disturbances. trying to keep my voice down and singing the high notes doesn't go well together. and i couldn't get my laptop's fan to shut up XD;

also, i'm.. covering a cover. so maybe i'll get disqualified by default? i just loved these english lyrics so much i just had to.

OH WELL. ENJOY:
Original Song
Cover

i'll show myself out.

Honest

Hi!
Years
Whooooo, why the hell not? I'd definitely get kicked out in the auditions of American Idol, but I have no shame 8D

I'm singing She Remains from Darling Theives... I think it'd be better had played a guitar with it. But I dont have an acoustic and my electric is pooped. :I Speaking of which, there was one more chorus after what I ended, but there's a really long guitar solo in between, so I just ended it there. 8D

Original:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKgcw0VJTks
Cover:http://vocaroo.com/i/s0hwNMblSTKl

EDIT: Not a part of my submission, but I was fooling off afterwards, singing, and my sister walked in. I haven't listened to it yet, so I don't know how good or bad it was, but I figured it'd be funny to share. =P

http://vocaroo.com/i/s02dn9B1eR5W <---- Holy crap. This is what I thought I'd sound like on acid. :c

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Okay. I finally have my entry done...I'm actually pretty happy with this. It's not perfect, but I struggled way too hard with finding a song and getting my phone to record me properly and I wish I had a stronger voice at this time of night, but for what I got, I think I did fine. Bob Dylan is a little hard to cover though since half the time, he doesn't even sing...human notes...they're just...talking? lol

Entry: https://soundcloud.com/allisyd/dont-think-twice-its-alright
Song: Don't Think Twice, It's Alright - Bob Dylan

I looked around and couldn't find the album version, I'm afraid. :/ So I hope you'll cut me some slack in that department. All I found were covers and lives.

Last edited:

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Back