• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Art Battle #2 - Selection of topic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years

Art Battle #2 - Topic Selection

Back when there was a competition sub-forum in existence and competitions like SoTW and Icontest were held regularly, we had this rule where the winner of a contest would select the theme/topic for the successive contest. Things went on smoothly for the most part but there were times when the topic that was selected wasn't as appealing to other members as it was to the winner and we used to get little to no contestants. So, in order to prevent the occurrence of something like that, me and Alexial have decided to ask for your opinion. We would like all A&D members to come together and discuss about topics that you all find appealing. The one which is agreed upon by most will probably end up being selected.

So yeah, what do you think should be the topic for the next art battle?
If I'm allowed to provide input - the topic with the most amount of freedom would be freestyle. You can go for that. Although it'll be difficult for you guys to judge it, you can go wild with a theme like that.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I'm open to the idea of doing a "whatever anyone wants" contest! We did a fakemon contest, now I'd like to see our graphic artists and photographers get involved too! :D

derozio

Years
Well, 'freestyle' does allow quuite a lot of freedom since you can pretty much enter any sort of art into it but I still fail to see how most graphic artists and photographers will be able to compete in this contest with traditional/digital artists. I mean, sure, there are some graphic artists who can make their works from scratch -coughgav&christinacough- but they are quite few in number. Others won't be able to enter. And photography is...a little too different, I think? It'll be hard to judge two entries which are so very dissimilar from each other on a fundamental level - if one's a traditional drawing and other is a photograph, I mean. Or I'm probably missing something. Thoughts, people? Seriously, I wanna do something where everyone can come together but it can't really happen like this, I'm afraid. :c

As for Pokemon anime...why not go for a different topic altogether? I mean, we just had fakemons, you know. I don't really mind if you all support it, though. :p

Adin Terim

Absolutely Insane
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2021
I'd be up for something to do with photography, but I'm open to whatever.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I think we need to iron out some inconsistencies here. At least, I'm a little confused. ;;

Let's narrow this out into the most basic categories. At least one of these needs to correspond so all entries can be judged equally. Medium and Theme.

What medium would be best for this competition? I think that every medium should be included. What medium would you guys like to use?

What theme --theme being subject matter-- can every artist work with? Hypothetically, lets say we do "fruit". You can take pictures of fruit, draw fruit, edit fruit, do anything with fruit to make it look better. Now, I'd say something like an emotion would be good for this competition because everyone can manipulate or create something that evokes a feeling.

Here's my vote.
Medium : Everything -- Theme : Apathy.

Based on the medium that you would like to use, what theme fits the best?

Does any of this make sense? :o

derozio

Years
It makes perfect sense. Freestyle is a topic which is so wide encompassing in nature that it'll make things harder if we decide to have people from all mediums participate. It could work if there are restrictions on the medium but not if all mediums are allowed. Having a specific theme which circle around feelings like apathy, love etc make things that much more easier. But, like I said, we'll have to allow the usage of stocks by graphic artists if we are to do it. And allow photographers to touch up their images using photoshop. Likewise for traditional/digital artists, if they wish to do so. :p

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
ATTENTION ARTISTS____________

Derozio and I would really love to get this thing off the ground, so I'm going to take the initiative and throw out my ideas. Anyone who objects to these ideas may do so in this thread and include their own input on what topic they would like to cover and why. All suggestions will be considered! Provided we still have interest in an art battle in general; if a topic is not selected after a given period of time (pending) Derozio and I will be selecting a topic for this competition, so please tell us what you would like to draw!

Following the school of thought from my last post, I think every medium should be included in this competition (graphic design, traditional art, digital art, photography, 3D art, mixed mediums, etc). However, for all of these mediums to be judged fairly, we need to have a corresponding theme. So, I think the following topics would be a good thing to cover :

1.) Apathy
2.) Friendship
3.) Confusion / Befuddlement

Please let us know if you like any of these topics or if you have one of your own! The person who can best capture the chosen emotion will be our winner and receive showers of love and praise! Let me be clear, you can use ANY subject matter to display the chosen emotion. You can draw your pokemon. You can take pictures of your friends. You can use stocks. This competition is not so much about what you draw/create something but how it captures the aforementioned emotions. The point is to make you think critically about your work. It would be much easier to say, "everyone draw a sad Breloom", and judge it based on the one that looks most like a sad Breloom. The amount of mediums we are trying to include in this competition prevents a topic as easily constructed as that (although, we are open to suggestions like that provided that's what everyone wants to do).

I will be informing everyone at a later date when the deadline for this discussion ends and what the topic will be if one is not chosen. From there, we will be requesting participants for the battle and establishing the rules, so get your opinions in now! If you have any questions please contact either Derozio or myself. We really want this thing to take off so we can all have some fun and do what we love to do! <33;

Adin Terim

Absolutely Insane
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2021
Apathy sounds like it would an interesting topic to cover, so there's my vote.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'm open to the idea of doing a "whatever anyone wants" contest! We did a fakemon contest, now I'd like to see our graphic artists and photographers get involved too! :D

Rather than a battle maybe for photography the fortnightly-themed Photography contests can return...? :x

(which I could host again if needed!)

derozio

Years
Well Nica, I don't have a problem with bringing those photography contests back. But there's not enough demand for it. Who are gonna participate in it? You, droomph and maaaaaaybe Fabio? People just don't seem interested. ;__;

As for these contests, both me and Alexial would like to continue them. But is it what you guys want? That's what it all boils down to. Will we see participation?

Silversnk

Valar Dohaeris
Years
I'm new to the forum and I'd really like to sign up for a gfx contest, so I'm just gonna support here and say I really like the idea of centering the contest to a feeling rather than restrictions or forced themes. I choose apathy as it would be a nice mood to create with.

derozio

Years
Hmm, okay, the next time the contest will be up it'll center around a feeling. Thread has been stickied for way too long and I don't think anybody's gonna post their opinions now. Look forward to the contest, people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back