• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon DarkRed Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
Years

logodarkredvm0.png

Pokémon DarkRed's AWARDS
HACK OF THE WEEK NO. 39 / AWARD POST

hotwkz8.png

Button by Thrace.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello there, welcome to the official Pokémon DarkRed Version thread.
Before I get into any of the game, I will need to tell you a little foreword.

First of all, this is a hack, not a game.

I've been hacking for quite a bit over two years now, so I've developed my skills around PC since then.
If you have been around longer than me, or know me somehow, you might have seen my progress, or how I have improved.

This is not my first hack. Out of all the hacks I have, it is practically countless.
My older hacks were basically practice. I hope to one day finish this hack.

I began hacking by first developing my tastes for Pokémon, which started in the Pokémon Creator Forums, where I started spriting.
Then, when those forums closed down, I still wanted to keep my liking of Pokémon.

So, I decided to go to YouTube, and randomly find anything to do with Pokémon... and found ShinyGold.
Then I found my way here, PC, and wanted to create one of my own "ROM hacks".
That's where hacking started for me.

If you have any questions for me, or about DarkRed, don't hesitate to ask.​

informationej1.png

Pokémon DarkRed Version, as the name goes, is based on FireRed.
That means it will have a lot of similar aspects to it, but is completely different in other aspects.
You will see what I mean.

The game is a hack of Pokémon FireRed English, or the codebase being BPRE.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the missing storyline; it is basically a generic storyline like the rest.
Eventually, there will be some twist in the plot, but there is no way to plan that until I get there.

I might as well post the very simple storyline here anyway:

You are a young boy or girl from Fleron Town (who are actually the main heroes of Pokémon Battle Revolution). You have an obsession with Pokémon battling, and tune into Pokémon tournaments and contests everyday when you can.

On this exact day, your journey as a Pokémon Trainer, and then Master, begins to unfold. You start in your rather large room, playing your Game Boy Advance, after playing it all night. Rubbing your eyes, exhausted, you turn the GBA off.

You head downstairs, seeing what's for breakfast, but your mom is not there. Assuming that she has probably went shopping in the next town over (seeing as Fleron Town is rather small, and has no PokéMarts), you decide to skip breakfast and get a breath of fresh air.

As you leave your house, a little girl, who is your friend Ash's sister, is playing with a Poliwag, who is one of Ash's Pokémon, in a small pond next to your house. She then notices you, and asks if you want to play, so you agree.

After a few minutes of playing in and around the pond, it suddenly begins to become warmer, warmer, and after a small amount of time, it is burning hot. Poliwag overreacts and rages out of control. Poliwag sprints to the nearby route. The boiling sensation then fades away, but Poliwag still hasn't returned.

You and Ash's little sister panic and try to rush over to the route, but realize that you have no Pokémon at your disposal, so you decide to refer yourselves to Professor Oak, a rather famous professor who has his name known throughout countless regions in the Pokémon world.

You enter his lab, and see him, so you ask Oak if he has any Pokémon that he would be able to lend them, so they can safely go through the route. He says yes, and gives you a choice between three Pokémon: Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle. You pick the Pokémon, and your battling instincts kick in, and rush toward the nearby route.

Lastly, I will progress with this as much as I can.
School may get in the way, but I am usually active.

featureshy8.png

Not much special about its features; most new features are taken from other RPG games.
If you would like to contribute an idea or two, feel free.

- Simplicity - generic, beautiful landscaping.
- Climate changes in some areas; including sand, snow, cave, etc.
- New sprites; new heroes, rivals, and more characters.
- Some new Pokémon - Sinnoh and others.
- A large region with much to discover.
- You can't forget the fun!

multimediakr9.png

This is where I will put anything media-related; so images, screenshots, videos, etc.

Images
Any images related to DarkRed are put here (click their text to view).

Old Screenshots
Screenshots before I restarted (these events will still appear in game).

Spoiler:

Screenshots
We've got quite a bit of them. Enjoy!

Spoiler:

downloadsly6.png

We do not have any downloads at the moment.
I hope to make an alpha before or during winter.

bugsandglicthesct6.png

There are currently no glitches or bugs that I have noticed.

creditsandspecialthankssy3.png

~ The Womanizer ~ - Thread Layout, Graphic Designer
Disturbed - Mapping Head

Semele - Motivation, in-game palettes, indexed heroes, etc.
Fangking Omega - Tilesets, etc.
$_$ - Hero and heroine sprites.
Coronis - Some sprites, mostly Pokémon.

Well, thanks for visiting Pokémon DarkRed's thread.
I hope you enjoyed it.

Feel free to post as much comments as you like, but don't forget the rules!​

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
The screens look absolutely lovely! ^^
I like the thread layout as well. :3
Can't wait to see more progress on the hack! ;D

Good luck~

rockeymon100

PORCUPINES!!!!!!
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 25, 2016
Looks Good Cant wait Also Could you make a list of what you are using for the hack me bieng a beginer hacker

Clevink

Don't mess with Espeon...
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 27, 2014
This looks really great. Love the screens, love the thread layout, love how the game is looking! Keep going with this one!

Dratii

Working on something new...
Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2023
Looks great. I hope you finish this Infernal Contraption

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Great thread presentation, great story, everything looks good, Infernal Contraption. Except this:
First of all, this is a game, not a hack.
If it's using a ROM as a base, this is a hack. If not, what's it doing in the ROM Hacking section? Put it in the Games Development section then!

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
Years
Looks Good Cant wait Also Could you make a list of what you are using for the hack me bieng a beginer hacker
I don't believe that you're aloud to ask for that in peoples' threads.
Use the Simple Questions thread.

If it's using a ROM as a base, this is a hack. If not, what's it doing in the ROM Hacking section? Put it in the Games Development section then!
WOOPS, I messed up a little there! Changed it. :3

Lover's Kite

[b]the age of empathy[/b]
Years
YAY! It's finally up. :D I made that the thread layout how long ago? Like maybe 1 month or more ago? xD
I loves the mapping, it's complex, in a good way. And you really put a lot of effort into the presentation and story. :3
A+! ;D

Hiche..

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2014
This hack looks promising. I wish you will stick to it. The hero is well done, the mapping is great, and I hope to see more scripts.
Best of luck.

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
Years
YAY! It's finally up. :D I made that the thread layout how long ago? Like maybe 1 month or more ago? xD
I loves the mapping, it's complex, in a good way. And you really put a lot of effort into the presentation and story. :3
A+! ;D
Yeah, I was trying to make as much progress as I could before I posted the thread. And thanks, the mapping is mostly Disturbed. As for the story... I made that on the spot when Christos said I actually needed to add a storyline (even if it's very simple). :P

This hack looks promising. I wish you will stick to it. The hero is well done, the mapping is great, and I hope to see more scripts.
Best of luck.
Thanks. I will hopefully stick with it (since I have less time, I should have only time to be doing one hack at a time :P). I will try to put up a script or two when I get to it, as I am not the best at scripting (this is one of my first hacks that I started inserted scripts in, despite starting ROM hacking a couple years ago).

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been using scrap FireRed ROMs (and RPG Maker XP) to practice my mapping, as I think I should be a lot better if I would like to complete a game, and somehow discipline myself to actually like mapping, and not be lazy at it. :P

I'm currently working on changing the house tiles (I will most likely be using my own custom tiles, or FangKing Omega's tileset), so I'll try to show a little bit of that when I get the chance.

Hopefully I can show something with a script, as well.
Anyway, I hope for more comments!

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
Years
Well, I'm double posting to show some important information...
Pokémon DarkRed Version won the Hack of the Week! (HotW)
hotwkz8.png

Button made by Thrace.

I know the HotW isn't all that big, but at least I won something. :P

Also, I want to show a very small update of the start of the event. Nothing complicated; no scripts involved yet, just the activation of the script and the newly inserted Poliwag sprite (by Coronis), and the little girl, of course. I also changed the palettes back to the default FireRed ones, because I realized that I like the original ones better.

littlegirlja1.png

Last edited:

Hiche..

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2014
I like the screen shot. I am really looking forward to this hack. Good luck again.

8th Wonder™

റിപ്പബ്ല? ??ക്ക്
Years
I like the thread layout. Looks exciting and the OW is kewl. Nice how you got into hacking...Zel...
Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back