• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What deters you from (or makes you want to play) OU?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
OU, being the main tier played, is something everyone either likes, or dislikes. How do you feel about it and why? Do you think the amount of weather, or the fact that the mainly used Pokemon never change is something quite annoying? Or maybe you love using the almost=-strongest Pokemon? Discuss why you feel that way about OU in particular! n_n

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I like playing in OU tier because I don't need to think much about which Pokémon or which moves are banned.
It is kinda annoying that so many weather teams and many same Pokémon but once you exploit the weaknesses of those teams and Pokémon it's pretty easy to beat them =D

Hume

la tristesse durera
Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 22, 2014
I can't really say I'm deterred from playing OU, it's still my main tier with Ubers close behind. I'd say the current metagame is actually pretty balanced, (with the exception of hail) I don't think any one weather condition outclasses the others. But yeah, weather wars in general can be horribly exhausting. Unfortunately, losing your weather inducer can lose you the game. So it's incredibly tedious when you think about how losing a single Pokemon can reflect the outcome of a match. That's my only real gripe with OU.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I moved away from it because all the teams are built around the same type of style. The Pokemon are all the same and it gets really boring and annoying. Tiers like NU are better as they don't have the same Pokemon running around. There's always different strategies and battle styles on every team and it's a nice change.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
OU definitely lacks diversity, balance, and most of all uniqueness. One reason I stay (when I do battle) is because I put a fair amount of work into my team and I'm too lazy to build another suited for other tiers -- despite the fact that I've heard nothing but great things about them.

That, and OU is kind of my comfort zone. For a while it was all I knew, and I'm sure that level of predictability makes up a fraction of why I keep ending up back there. ._.;

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
Years
The whole centralization argument in OU is pretty bad, almost every good offensive RU team has OTR Cofagrigus and/or Moltres on it, UU Teams are Roserade/Raikou/Kingdra and in the stages I played it, NU had lots of bulky offense with Absol/Rotom-S/SR Layer. BW OU has a ton of diversity and potential for creativity, given the amount of different Pokemon you can use, sets like Stallbreak Mew, Protect Terrakion make it seem like a meta that promotes creative thought rather than one that lacks it, I don't see many big sets being hyped or created in lower tiers.

HaxingBH

HaxingBH
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2012
Walls, I hate how super effective moves can sometimes do only 20%. Regenerator, shell smash, chlorophyll, the amount of people who switch ferrothorn into a latios and the amount of people who switch gliscor into a rotom wash makes me go WTF!

Still, it's a good tier because I'm Batman.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Walls, I hate how super effective moves can sometimes do only 20%. Regenerator, shell smash, chlorophyll, the amount of people who switch ferrothorn into a latios and the amount of people who switch gliscor into a rotom wash makes me go WTF!

Still, it's a good tier because I'm Batman.

Well that can apply to any tier, or any bulky Pokemon, so that isn't something specific to OU @ first point, so is that just a deterrent from competitive for you? As for the second point, all three of those abilities are found on NU Pokemon (same for the other tiers but idk to what extent).

As for the last part... Ferro switching into Latios isn't that bad, depending on what Latios has, I guess. If you had a dragon type you'd expect dpulse and switch into Ferro to help with that and get LO damage on Latios (if it has LO), and if it doesn't have HP Fire iirc the rest of its attacks can't do much to Ferro and it could set up SR or Leech Seed it. As for the last, idk, it isn't that crazy when you consider that HPump doesn't have that much PP in the first place and that Sand Veil can be nice for it. Buuut... in general I guess they could be predicting a switch? :(

Either way, for the thread itself, I agree with dragonomega. Personally while I'd like to get back into OU, just thinking about the amount of weather there just makes me like... "yeah nope". Just the basic, or any rain team in general is boring to face. Sun isn't that bad, I like Sun and if there was only Sun and Sand I'd play OU, BUT UNFORTUNATELY Politoed exists, and it is #1 in usage, therefore Rain is plentiful. I'm just kinda sick of the Pokemon too. I just... don't really like to use those Pokemon that much.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I stayed away from OU because almost everyone uses the same teams (back then) but I want to try it out again sometime soon. :33

Years
I don't have a problem with OU, in fact, I like all the tiers except RU(that tier is pointless)

OU isn't the most "standard" tier as any poke/set could work if given the opportunity; you don't have to use toed/scizor/nite/ferro etc. In fact, a lot of the most successful teams in OU actually have a fair bit of mons from other tiers or unusual sets.

As for weather, "countering" or at least checking them isn't that hard. A standard tran/gastro/skarm core should be sufficient enough. That core is also very good at wearing the other team down with hazards, so you can slap on a really cool late gamer (like porygon-z) and some other mons that supports it really well(cleric is almost crucial) and there you have an anti-weather and original team :]

Back