• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen No Eevee for you [lack of old Pokemon in BW]

Years
Comic is read right-to-left.
o8E96.png

Not counting Kanto, Unova is the only region where no old Pokemon could be found (save for the Pikachu billboard and Pikachu in Castelia) until either after you beat the initial storyline or if you got them in a trade. However, in BW2, you can find plenty of Pokemon from past generations.

That said, how did you feel about GF's decision to have only "new" Pokemon until after the storyline? Did you like it, hate it, or were ambivalent about it? Would you like future regions to have only new Pokemon until post-game?

Reactions: Nah
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Aha, that comic. I think I might've read it before, but can't put my finger on when, exactly; wish there were more of it! Anyway, personally, I wasn't too disappointed by it. If you ask me, having them limit us like this increased our usage of Unovian Pokémon, and get ourselves all familiar. If they'd included more previous-gen ones, it most likely would've taken us a lot longer.

Of all fifth-generation Pokémon, one of my most favorites is Volcarona. It's the first fire/bug-type to ever exist, and performs quite nicely when battling, too!

Years
I like it. I yet have to play this generation, and I am sort of glad I am forced to use new Pokemon, it's easier to assemble a team and explore.

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
Years
It was an interesting choice for that game. Like already said, it encourages the use of using the new guys, and it's a good way to show them off. However, as the character in the comic says, "it's just you again", the different types of pokemon are limited so there is not as much variety of what can be found. I was ok with all of the new pokemon only in BW, but I do think I prefer having some generation-crossing.

Years
I didn't like it (only using new Pokémon) at first, but the idea did grow on me because I realized that you come to like the new Pokémon when you don't have any others that you've seen in previous generations. Not to mention that it makes for a nice challenge most of the time, the trainers can really catch you off guard and they pack powerful stuff often, and you don't have as many options in some of the bigger fights.

However, it does get annoying when certain trainer classes use the same Pokémon over and over *cough Scientists with Deerling and Klink cough*.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
Hmm pokemon white was a full separate game with only uno a pokemon in the whole region, it was made total unique. With no old pokemon showing up.

Braxien

Banned
Years
I think it would have been better if the newer Pokémon were given to us at the beginning of the game, and then later on (before post-game) we would be given the older Pokémon. It was a good idea to force us into the new Pokémon, but I did want to have some Pokémon from previous generations in my team.

Years
I actually liked the approach of using new Pokemon only, and I did fall in love with pretty much most of them so it all worked out well for me when I played Black for the first time. The only downside however is NPC trainers spamming too many of the same Pokemon.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I liked how they only had new Pokemon available initially in Black/White, that they were trying something (sort of) new. It was nice to explore a region and not know any of the Pokemon you were encountering. I was getting tired of seeing some of the same old Pokemon over and over again, especially stuff like Geodudes in caves or Tentacools in the water. It's not something I want them to do all the time though; just every now and again would be best, so the idea doesn't get overused, and there are times when I do want a mix of old and new Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I don't count it as a "lack" of older pokemon, but as a welcome elimination of tired old stuff I've already seen too many times in too many generations. I think the fact that the BW dex is nothing but new pokemon is probably my favorite feature of the games, and I really hope GF does it again.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
It was incredibly refreshing, and one of many things that sets apart Black and White in a good way from previous games. Whereas the preceding games, HeartGold and SoulSilver, were strengthened by the sheer amount of older pokémon available (you could get most of Gen I/II as well as a lot of Gen III and IV pokémon) this felt more like a fresh start.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I thought it was pretty fun actually, because I probably never would have used some of the Pokemon during my playthroughs if I had other options. Then again, those Pokemon were awful haha, but it was refreshing to be forced to use Pokemon that aren't my favorites.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Uh, loved it. Forever GF was obsessed with including Geodude, Abra, Machop, Magikarp, Tentacool, etc etc AND SO MANY MORE in every single game ever to exist, and finally we get a "fresh start". GF decided to go right back and do as it first did, create 151 new creatures and feature them all (and only them) in a game. It was awesome not having to battle Scientists that owned two Magnemites, an Electrode and a Grimer. Really, it was AWEsome. No Hikers with Geodudes, no Blackbelts with Machops, and not a Tentacool in sight.

Years
Dustin summed it up rather perfectly. Was a much-needed breath of fresh air, and even though some of the Unova concepts were lacking, I still appreciated the fact that they filled up an entire Pokedex with all-new Pokemon. Probably one of the many reasons I prefer the fifth generation over Sinnoh's games.

Last edited:

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I really liked the idea of having only the new Unova Pokemon to use. I liked how you were forced to use region exclusives - for first-timers, it meant that there was something new in every route. There was a lot to mess with and to experiment with, and there was no rehashing of older generation Pokemon, as Dustin said earlier.

Also, this may be more of a personal thing for me, but having to use only newer Pokemon means you can develop closer feelings to them, as you'll probably be spending a lot more time with them than a game without that restriction.

Years
Also, this may be more of a personal thing for me, but having to use only newer Pokemon means you can develop closer feelings to them, as you'll probably be spending a lot more time with them than a game without that restriction.

I wouldn't say that's a personal thing for you, because I have the same thought.

However, I do want to say that I don't get why there are people that dislike how BW2 has old Pokémon in it, considering Platinum had more Pokémon added and nobody complained then. Is it just because of how much people liked this? I even remember when I was doing random searches in the forum that this thread had people complaining about old Pokémon in the post-game. Are you seriously wanting 100% new Pokémon even after your adventure's technically over? That's just not right, because it would get stale afterwards only using the new stuff. (Competitive battlers needed their old Pokémon, anyway.)

Years
Although I liked that they changed it in BW2, I feel that for the originals to have Unova exclusive pokés was a great idea as it forced me to try ones I probably wouldn't have if older gens had been available, and as a result I got a new bunch of favourites :)

In a way I kinda wish they'd kept that system for X and Y; there were a bunch of those Pokémon I wanted to use but didn't in favour of old favourites so yeah, props to BW for leading the way on that one :)

pyx

I will never repeat myself... I will never repeat
Years
Yup, that was a very big letdown for me at least >.< B2/W2 had lots of older pokemon right off the bat which was awesome! :D

Back