• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Multiple Save Files

Gary0ak

TPP ROM Hacker
Years
Do you think Pokemon X and Y (And future Pokemon 3DS games in general) can support multiple save files? This could help against annoying brothers and sisters who delete your save file.

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
Do you think Pokemon X and Y (And future Pokemon 3DS games in general) can support multiple save files? This could help against annoying brothers and sisters who delete your save file.

Um That wouldn't help any more than the already in place save protection of not being able to delete the save file without being at the Main Menu

Plus if there were Multiple save files it Would be far to easy to Clone Pokemon -_-

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't see them adding in another spot to have more than one save, honestly. Then again, with all the crazy things Game Freak has done the past few years, I don't think anyone can really predict this kind of stuff haha.

Years
OMG YES. This would be great! :,D

Then I can be more organized in the housing of my prized Pokes! Multiple save files= more boxes in my PC. :3

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I don't think so. I don't think they will break this tradition.

Besides, thinking about why Pokémon games have 1 save file per cart, I'm not sure I want this. Scratch that, I'm sure I don't want this. Every time you win against a trainer, pick up an item or complete a side mission, it adds to the size of the save file. Pokémon themselves take a lot of space. It's basically either you have one save file and a big Pokémon game with lots of stuff to do, which is the case now, or (insert number here) saves and (the same number) times less trainers to fight, items to pick up, side quests, boxes in the Pokémon storage system etc. With each generation becoming bigger and better, emphasis on the "bigger", having multiple save files with all the repercussions would severely handicap the game.

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
I don't think so. I don't think they will break this tradition.

Besides, thinking about why Pokémon games have 1 save file per cart, I'm not sure I want this. Scratch that, I'm sure I don't want this. Every time you win against a trainer, pick up an item or complete a side mission, it adds to the size of the save file. Pokémon themselves take a lot of space. It's basically either you have one save file and a big Pokémon game with lots of stuff to do, which is the case now, or (insert number here) saves and (the same number) times less trainers to fight, items to pick up, side quests, boxes in the Pokémon storage system etc. With each generation becoming bigger and better, emphasis on the "bigger", having multiple save files with all the repercussions would severely handicap the game.

Actually the Save File Doesn't get any bigger at all

A Save File is a Pre-Determined Size from the Start and it stays that size Forever

DS Save Files were Generally 512kb 3DS Save will Probably be Between 1-4mb

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2020
Nintendo is a company. Companies exist to make money. 1 save per cart makes someone not wanting to delete their save obtain more copies of the game. More games bought = More Money

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
Actually the Save File Doesn't get any bigger at all

A Save File is a Pre-Determined Size from the Start and it stays that size Forever

DS Save Files were Generally 512kb 3DS Save will Probably be Between 1-4mb
I know, I just tried to explain it without going into too much detail :) .

But this is an even better way to explain the problem: either you have 4mb allocated to one save file with all the Pokémon data you can store, all the "Trainer fought" and "Item picked up" flags etc allowing a huge amount of content to be played, or you split it in 1mb files per save file, allowing to save much less data (EG: 4 boxes instead of 16) .

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I don't see them adding this feature. Seems like one is enough.. and there isn't really any hardware problems with the way it's acting now.. plus.. more save files= more people playing one game= less sales.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't see why some of y'all are bringing up easy cloning? You can easily clone in gen V, so...I don't see how that's a big deal. :/ I guess cause they'd be giving us the opportunity for it, but still.

Don't think it'll happen anyway though.

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
I know, I just tried to explain it without going into too much detail :) .

But this is an even better way to explain the problem: either you have 4mb allocated to one save file with all the Pokémon data you can store, all the "Trainer fought" and "Item picked up" flags etc allowing for a humongous amount of content, or you split it in 1mb files per save file, allowing to save much less data.

Also if Multiple Save files were added Lets put it this way

A 3DS Game is between 1-8GB (And Seeing as though this is Pokemon expect it to be around 3gb)
The following things would Increase the Game ROM Size
3D Models (Which 6th Gen has)
The Length of the Game
The Amount of Pokemon

And With Multiple save files at 4mb each (Most games that allow multiple saves allow for 2-3 Saves) Thats About 8-16mb Worth of Save Files (And Multiple Saves are Normally Merged into 1 File to reduce clutter) So thats Basically a Predetermined File Size of 16mb Thats a Bit Big for a Game Save

Autaven

Gamer Girl
Years
Can't see it happening. It wouldn't really effect me to be fair as I don't have anyone else to be wanting a shot of it, good time to be an only child. But I really doubt they would add more.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I'd definitely like this to be implemented. It'd allow me to play both as a girl and a boy, with completely different teams. Although it might tarnish sales, like others have mentioned, so that might be an issue...

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
Guys I meant 2 save slots not 100 -_-
And why are you so concerned about Pokemon Cloning?

BECAUSE CLONING WOULD RUIN THE DAMN GAMES

If you could clone a Pokemon Legit then
You could clone your Pokemon then trade 1 Copy away and get an Ultra cool Pokemon
and the Other Person didnt clone their Ultra Cool Pokemon

That means that other Person traded their Ultra Cool Pokemon with you hoping to get Potentially your 1 and Only X Pokemon but in reality you basically got the Ultra Cool Pokemon for Free...

SuperKirbyFan

Weedle trainer
Years
I'd LOVE for multiple save files. It would allow me to have a second file for challenge runs without having to buy the other version or using an emulator(and I despise using emulators)

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I don't think this'll happen, as the save data is saved onto the game card, not the system, which would mean multiple save files difficult because the card would hold less data than a system.

Back