• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you deal with people that make fun of you for play PKMN?

Years
I get lots of flack from friends and such. Most are the "The only good ones were R/B/Y, wasn't 150 enough?" or "Pokemon is just for kids, are you a kid?" etc.

Just yesterday when I went with a friend to pick Black 2 up once I picked it out he started laughing saying "You're into kiddie games? Do you really like games for kids?". He went on for about 5 minutes.

How do you deal with it?

Taemin

[i][b]MOVE[/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023
I've liked Pokemon for so many years now that all of my friends know that I like it still, and they really don't mind. Not all of them like it, but they don't give me flack for it. I've got more people that I'm meeting via conventions now, and that group doesn't really know that I like it, but if it ever came up I would just tell me straight up. XD Over the years I've had co-workers or students poke at me for it, but I just kind of laugh with them.

"What're you playin'?"
"It's just a Pokemon game."
"Hahaha, you play that stuff still? omg"
"Yeeeep, just kind of always stuck with it. xD"
"Oh, okay. What'ev."
is how it usually kind of goes.

Sirfetch’d

Most of the friends that laugh at you probably play Pokemon or some other game they just won't admit it. They feel by laughing at you no one will ever suspect that they play Pokemon as well.Source:Experience.

To answer your question, I just ignore it. They don't sign my paycheck and will never have any impact on my life after school.

Years
My method is simple enough, I don't bring it up around people who aren't like minded. If they aren't interested that's cool, if they are that's great. I feel no need to bring up a topic nobody cares about so I generally don't get much flack for it.

Spaniard.King

spain does it for real
Years
yeah am 17 and sometimes my guy friends kind of joke with me that i still play the pokemon games, even my dad jokes around about it with me. but i really honestly dont care for there comments. its like what effect does it really have. i just tell them to shut up and i ignore it after that. but if they get really annoying i would drop one as a friend cause i dont need there commentary.

AChipOffTheOldBrock

Too Legit To Quit
Years
  • Age 27
  • NC
  • Seen Feb 18, 2021
I usually keep the fact that I like pokemon to myself but if somebody finds out and tries to make fun of me for it I dont really care. If they played pokemon as a kid usually they'll understand but if they dont I just say "**** you, Pokemons fun." and move on. It works.

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
Years
Why are peoples so judgmental? D':

Seriously tho, how do I deal with it...meh...I don't really.

...I mean, why would I care how peoples felt on what games I play? If I did, I wouldn't had brought/played the game in the first place. I played Magical Starsign before and I thought it was a pretty good game. >_<

But hey, tho...They says it's a kid's game...well, good for them. You're still gonna play it regardless, right? So, whatever to what they say. :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
Thankfully most people I know (like on my Facebook and stuff) either like Pokémon too, or they know plenty of people who do so they don't find it "weird" enough to tease about. People probably do laugh about it a bit when I'm not there, but I don't really care. Everyone's got a hobby, and Pokémon is mine. A lot of people collect stuff, and I collect Pokémon stuff and Star Wars Lego. People can think what they want.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Fortunately for me, my friends still play Pokemon on their phones (using emulators), but most of them played untill 3rd Gen. So, most of them wouldn't bother even I played all they way untill 5th Gen, they even asked me whats new about 5th Gen.

But if I ever come across a friend that makes fun of me if I play Pokemon, I will just have to ignore them, they will only give up making fun of you. But if they still don't accept for who you are and keep on making fun of you because you play Pokemon, I would suggest that you find new friends. :P

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
The Youtuber Shofu had a really good response to this question once, and it's exactly what I do as well: just don't respond to it. If you don't have a reaction, the bullies don't have a reason to keep teasing you. The simplest response I like to give is "Okay" and a shrug.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I just shrug it off. I don't really care whether I get teased or not. I love Pokemon, and no one can ever make me stop loving it. Bully or no bully.

Years
I usually avoid it as a topic around people.
There are a few of my friends who also play but they're the same in public.

I do cop quite a lot from my parents which is odd. But yeah I end up telling them they're immature for not liking and they get confused so I win.
Not a bad strategy.

#isthenumbersign
Years
I have literally one friend who plays Pokemon, so all my other friends will tease me a lot. I don't mind, it's not like they're trying to hurt my feelings or anything, so I kinda just ignore them since they'll stop after awhile. For the couple idiots that persist in pestering me, I'll just retaliate with something that they do.

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
Years
well there was this guy who said "you're in senior high school and you're still playing pokemon...what are you?!" it didn't really bother me...I made friends far and wide thanks to Pokemon and all he has is a pack of jerks... basically I just ignore them.

Bubbles987

Ace Trainer
Years
Usually like:
Teacher: OK CLASS! TIME TO INTRODUCE OURSELVES EVEN THOUGH YOU'VE KNOWN EACH OTHER SINCE FIRST GRADE!
Me (thinking): Don't pick me first...don't pick me first....
Teacher: BUBBLES! Y DUNT YEW GO FURST?! TROLOLOLOL
Me: Um....My name is Bubbles. i like to draw and play pokemon, i guess.
*kids start giggling and smiling at each other*
Me (blushing a little): they are...fun games...*SHAME*
*Teacher goes blabbing to the next student*
*kids still giggling*
Me (to stupid popular chicks): What are YOU laughing at? Hm?! *infamous evil stare*

....That's exactly how it goes~! :D

aquavi

scintillating starmie
Years
I sit around at my uni playing Pokemon all the time and nobody's ever said a word.

I guess if anyone did bring it up I would shrug them off and try to get them to quit talking to me. All of my friends and coworkers either play Pokemon themselves or think it's cool that Pokemon is one of my hobbies.

I try to distance myself from noisy jerks :P

Back