• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

negative ALWAYS comes before positive

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
Why is it with every Pokémon game release, there are A LOT of negative thoughts towards it followed by everybody wants it? since the Nintendo DS Pokémon games it has been this way Diamond/Pearl got a little, Black/White said Pokémon looked dumb but then EVERYBODY wants it and likes it!!! Black 2/White 2 EVERYBODY hated this Kyurem fusion thingie but eventually people chose a side on what Kyurem they wanted. and don't get me started on X & Y!!!

why does an initial game release news yield negative thoughts then turn into positive??

Altair1

Willpower
Years
Well, these new games introduce a lot of 'new' things such as Pokemon and features. Sometimes people need time to adapt to these new features...
I only had negative thoughts on B/W Pokemon, but then they grew on me (well some did). X & Y looks promising so far.

Sirfetch’d

People are afraid of change. This happens every generation, people get mad, say "this is the worst gen so far", threaten not to play it, etc. However, usually once they do in fact play the games they then see how their presumptions were indeed wrong. I criticize a Pokemon game until I play it because I know they will always impress me.

Years
People are afraid of change. This happens every generation, people get mad, say "this is the worst gen so far", threaten not to play it, etc. However, usually once they do in fact play the games they then see how their presumptions were indeed wrong. I criticize a Pokemon game until I play it because I know they will always impress me.

Basically this. I follow loads of news when a new generation is announced, and I deal with seeing loads of fans on forums sometimes hating on the new Pokemon, features etc. of that generation. To me, I criticize a generation after I play the game in question and see what the flaws were and what they got right. While some of the new stuff in X & Y so far, like Mega Evolutions and especially the Fairy-type have gotten a few people raging over it, these two mechanics are going to change the competitive scene as we know it, and I think the Fairy-type has loads of possibilities with the designs of its respective Pokemon. Mega Evolutions were completely unexpected however, so that took most people by surprise and were worrying Pokemon was suddenly becoming a Digimon clone or something. I remember when I first saw some of the 5th Gen Pokemon in 2010, I thought they looked odd but they grew on me and now loads of them are among my faves!

And I bet my thoughts on X & Y will change when I play the actual games myself.

Thergox

Average Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2014
I would not say change is what people are afraid of. Sure, a lot of people don't like new things about Pokemon, but that's really just the easy way of saying why people criticize the things others love -- a scapegoat for the defendant, if you will.

When I was little, I was contemplating things (That is, aware of my self and capable of remembering) around the time of the second generation's full swing (Meaning all the N64 games were dying out, but there were a million Pokemon games to go with it. Pity I took 3D graphics for granted). I was grasping the concept that Pokemon came out with a new generation every so-and-so years, even though Second Gen was supposed to be the "Final" one according to some articles, and could not wait for the next ones to come out.

So then the third generation came out. Utterly slick, over and beyond the usual Pokemon charm with quick finesse and sharpness. It drew people in. I loved it, but felt something a little off in it's style. It wasn't that it was bad, just. . . Different. I don't love it as much now, but that's because I lost Emerald before I got the chance to play it. Anyway, Fourth Gen came around, I was still psyched despite being much older. The Pokemon seemed to have adopted both the classic and newer style, and I was rather at peace with that as each Pokemon appeared to be cool but retained some essence of what they really were.

Fifth generation? If I was a child, I would know something was hideously wrong. I would love it, cherish it, but know in my heart that there was no resemblance to the classic name they were supposed to embody. People say that they don't care about Pokemon's appearances, but that, I'm afraid, is a blatant lie. Pokemon is all about appearances. Without appearances, Pokemon would not have it's glorious charm, beauty, etc. The fifth generation seemed to lose touch with that. You had to fight for a resemblance, a return, a familiarity.

Afraid of change? Afraid of what things will become next. Afraid that Pokemon will not be Pokemon anymore. It is true that many changes are happening in the series, just to keep it up and make things interesting, but change is dangerous. I am not talking about the "Change" that people just like to throw around everywhere as if it's a small deal. This is a Change that instills much more, a Change that can easily devour the entire franchise we have all grown to love. Change that can turn something into something it is not.

. . . That aside, I still plan on playing X and Y. Black and White managed to blow my mind with it's story line, it's graphics, and it's animation. X and Y will hopefully have that same knack for such things, and hopefully there will be plenty more Pokemon I like than in Fifth gen.

Adieu.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
I agree a lot with the comments before me,
people are afraid of changes.
That became more evident,
when people thought the first sets of Hoenn games were revamps of older games,
as most of the older Pokemon like Magmar, Jynx etc...
were absent from the said games.
Also tradings between Gen II to Gen III were disabled,
game mechanics heavily being altered...
Thus the trend of "Bash the newer Gens, Older Gens are better" was born.
From that moment on, a lot of people became "judge the game by its screencaps".
Anything they see that is too new looking just gets bash.

People takes things for granted these days,
they should be happy and grateful that their favorite series is still here to these days!
Evolution is not exclusive to the Pokemon themselves,
the series itself is also evolving!

Next time when playing Pokemon,
try to have more gratitude.
And if you don't know how, then catch a Shaymin. Ask it to teach you!

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
It's not that people are afraid of change. It's that they hate it. If they're comfortable with something for so long. When it changes or alters, it's immediately looked upon in a negative manner.

It's as simple as a child's logic. Routines and such. When something changes from the norm, they'll be displeased and throw a tantrum. But sooner or later they'll be accustomed to the changes and will accept them.

The way I remedy this situation is personal thoughts like: "Haven't played it, can't knock it." and "Keep an open mind."

Since I've adopted these mental notes I have never once disliked a game when it was premiered in trailers or reveals. Feels good. :D

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
People are stupid. There are always two kinds of people who hate whatever new games are coming out:
>Those who think it's dumb until they actually try it
>Those who are set in their ways and wouldn't be swayed if God Himself said that He made the games
To each their own, everybody's entitled to their own opinion, etc. etc. etc.
It doesn't change the fact that pre-release hatred is stupid and pointless, though. Every generation you have a group of people who swear up and down that their hearts are broken and their childhoods are ruined because there are new things in the games.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 3, 2016
See, I don't think it's just Pokemon fans. It's all types of fans. Everyone seems to bash a new game in a common story line at first because they don't want the change (as many others have said). However, on some of the threads here, I've actually seen a lot of hype about X and Y and some people really anxious to play it. Based on the graphics, it looks like it can be awesome. So, people will eventually get past the little things and realize that this game has quite a bit of potential.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Nostalgia.

They miss the old games, sometimes it's about a better old game, sometimes it's about a new introduction of a new gizmo or jeez, whatever unsettling. See, Black and White opened two new types of Pokémon, formes and non-living. And the designs over them were a bit like what a kid would want. That came along with a "completely fresh new start", with no other regional Pokémon, dampening hopes of new cross-evolutions. But then... they got used to it, like how you'd get used to living in a new home. We all found how beast Zekrom was... and how awesome Reshiram was. We all found out that adorable critter Victini, those formidable Swords of Justice, Terrakoin, Virizion and Cobalion.
We all loved Braviary and Archeops, we made Carracosta and Mandibuzz prosper.
Then, in Black 2 and White 2, they despised it in general, since the whole 2nd version idea was new. But when leaks of the "all Pokémon catchable" came up, they hung up the boots and hoped for an unexplored Unova at it's fullest.

X & Y, not much to say, really... Mega-Evolutions are sounding unnatural, so is the Fairy type...
Then comes the raging Hoenn remake demand. After which the completely new graphic style which everyone nostalgic probably dislikes.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
I honestly think that X and Y's pre-release reception has been generally positive. I know there's people who don't like stuff but people will always *****. I think I found the release of both Gen's 4 and 5 to be a lot less positive (remember how everyone lost their **** over vanilitte? Yeah.). Funny thing was though, I was really excited for D/P but I honestly think they're my least favourite Pokemon games. But I enjoyed B/W more than I thought I would.

Years
Well, I can't answer the question because there is no evidence to prove that everybody hated the games before their release.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
People get used to things and don't really like changes. Many first impressions on almost all things in life is scepticism although there is still room for some hype in a fanbase.

As for me, I am approaching X and Y with caution after the disaster that was the entirety of generation 5.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
People get used to things and don't really like changes. Many first impressions on almost all things in life is scepticism although there is still room for some hype in a fanbase.

As for me, I am approaching X and Y with caution after the disaster that was the entirety of generation 5.
Can you please elaborate more about the disastrous part of Gen V.

Note: Not trying to start a flame, just simply curious. ~_~

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
I don't think everyone is negative the games before they come out... I think the negativity is the most noticeable sometimes, but I've seen a LOT of people getting very excited about these new games.

I do agree that a lot of the negativity is due to nostalgia and the fear that new features will "ruin" future games... but I don't understand this viewpoint anyways. There is still a very active group of people playing Diamond & Pearl, and those games were released in 2007, almost 7 years ago... if people don't like the direction that the new games are going in, they don't have to buy them, and unlike most franchises, there is still a super active community surrounding the old games. It's not like everyone is going to stop playing Gen V games the second X and Y come out.

And even if no one else in the world was playing the older games, who's stopping people from enjoying the old games themselves? I still replay games that are absolutely ancient. I have replayed my copy of Link to the Past on SNES dozens of times. That game is over 20 years old. I don't get how people can let their nostalgia keep them from enjoying something new & different. No one is taking their old games away.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
If I'm on a pokemon forum, I'll point out things I dislike about the new games, because I already know the people there already agree with most of the things I like.

But when I'm talking to my friends who stopped playing pokemon, either the genwunners or the people who just got tired of the series, I tell them the things I like about the new games, because I want to show them how many good qualities the new pokemon games have.

How boring would a pokemon forum be, if everyone just posted, "I agreed with and liked absolutely 100% of everything in pokemon games ever." Can't I dislike the Kyurem-formes on the cover of the games, and still like everything else? :P

Back