• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scrapbox phase-out

Status
Not open for further replies.

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
Yea well, here is my imput, yell at me all ya want:

If we get rid of the scrapbox prog hacks will turn into the next junkyard...
why? well all you are required to do is produce 5 screens of ingame play...inother words i can have some lame scripts and some lame screenshots, but it WILL qualify to be there...

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
Nice. When it was first created, it was as you all imagined it, but now it's just shoveled full of hacks that will never go anywhere.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Yea well, here is my imput, yell at me all ya want:

If we get rid of the scrapbox prog hacks will turn into the next junkyard...
why? well all you are required to do is produce 5 screens of ingame play...inother words i can have some lame scripts and some lame screenshots, but it WILL qualify to be there...
You've got a point there. But, there are many hackers who can't even compose a script. :/
And by lame scripts, there could also be lame maps. It is clearly stated in the rules that the screenshots also cannot depict areas that have not been significantly edited. It still won't work. Bye bye noob threads.

interdepth had his wish. Bye scrapbox, maybe we'll see you again someday?

558122_DG

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
hmmm, okay but not all of them are scrap....and not all of them are good, but the scrapbox should not go...

about 15% of the stuff in the scrapbox are actually going somewhere, and the rest are well...test drives or an opportunity to learn, atleast that is what i find....

You've got a point there. But, there are many hackers who can't even compose a script. :/
And by lame scripts, there could also be lame maps. It is clearly stated in the rules that the screenshots also cannot depict areas that have not been significantly edited. It still won't work. Bye bye noob threads.

interdepth had his wish. Bye scrapbox, maybe we'll see you again someday?

a screen shot of INGAME PLAY

in other words you can still pull it off, player has a 7 step viewing radius...
so i can take a screenie of some random place filled with trees, and random grass, and someone saying There is alot you must learn...and it will qualify...

Last edited:

558122_DG

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
If they're actually going somewhere, they might as well go into Progressing Hacks. Just add a few screenshots and you're good to go. Of course, we might even take the time to review the minimum standard, but that's for another time.

Oh, and for you guys who say "interdpth had his wish" (etc.), just so you know, this has actually been concepted by the mods for several months. There's another idea happening very soon though - I'm creating a new sub-forum for something some of you may appreciate, but I'm not willing to say what it is at this time.

yea i realize that but there is one problem....I know my hack won't be in the slums of the scrapbox BUT i think inorder to have it ready by FEB. there will be alot of rush work....

But i guess you make your point, the bottom line is the scrapbox is going whether we like it or not :(

Haku.

(FLAME)...H....A...K..U
Years
Points to note of in the scrapbox.
1st. Many of it are spams, incomplete or even just an idea.
2nd. Most of the hacks in the scrapbox does not show significant amount of progress.
3rd. Only a few hacks outshine the others. NOTE THAT I SAY A FEW.
4th. Taking down the SCRAPBOX FORUM is a good idea.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 26, 2022
Why can't you make threads in Progressing Hacks atm either? D=
This totally kills my new-thread-on-New-Year's plan.. =[

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
The Scrapbox was a good idea in theory...but if there's one thing I know about human nature, it's that things hardly ever work out the way we think they will "in theory." Although I enjoyed reviewing here, if it's time for this place to go, than it's time for it to go. ^^' (The audience in Progressing Hacks would better appreciate getting a big long review out of the blue, anyway XD ) The few diamonds in the rough will do just as well in Progressing Hacks (and probably could have been posted there in the first place with a little more work before a thread was started; again making the Scrapbox redundant - the dedicated people whose hacks stand out would get into Progressing Hacks soon enough anyway), and we'll be rid of a whole boatload of spam, which is always a blessing XD Also, there's already a thread for "storyline help and advice," in the main forum, so ideas could simply be posted there rather than here XD

Also, when the Scrapbox is removed, will all posts we made in it vanish along with it, or will our postcounts and "find all posts written by this member" section remain intact? I don't particularly care about postcount, but if all the reviews I wrote are going to vanish, I'd like to save a few of them for my own personal reference. ^^'

Last edited:

558122_DG

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
Guess what? If you were actually working on your hack actively you'd have it ready long before February. If you can't even get a basic project before then, you've never really been committed to your hack.

edit: Progressing Hacks fixed. I made an error.

yea but then it wouldn't be as good now would it??? I always thought that the prog hacks section had a high standard seeing as some of the greatest hacks ever are still in there...But then again u do carry a point, that is plenty of time to get it to prog hacks :) But i still like the scrapbox...:(

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
yea but then it wouldn't be as good now would it??? I always thought that the prog hacks section had a high standard seeing as some of the greatest hacks ever are still in there...But then again u do carry a point, that is plenty of time to get it to prog hacks :) But i still like the scrapbox...:(

What are you blabbering about? You've just joined last November and you haven't seen most of the scrapbox. I remember most times during October lots and lots of spam threads in the Scrapbox. Maybe you don't want the scrapbox to go away because your thread is in there? Well, my thread is in there too, you know.

Still, I think that the staff did the right decision.

558122_DG

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021

What are you blabbering about? You've just joined last November and you haven't seen most of the scrapbox. I remember most times during October lots and lots of spam threads in the Scrapbox. Maybe you don't want the scrapbox to go away because your thread is in there? Well, my thread is in there too, you know.

Still, I think that the staff did the right decision.

what does the join date gotta do with it?, and yes i have seen alot of the scrapbox....i've skimmed through the first 10 pages many times... And if ur complaining about some random spam that happened in october...how valid is you point? And yes I don't want it to go cause my thread along with a few others are there...and cause I like that section :) it's the best place to recieve criticism :)

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Aww...:(
I don't want it to go...
. . .
Well, I better save my hack, before it disappears...
Goodbye, Scrapbox...:'(

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 26, 2022
It's not a high standard. All you need is a basic story or introduction and like, 4 screenshots. That's really not a lot to ask.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
This is good idea Anthony.
I agree with the posters above and as some of them I have a question where will useful threads (like help ones) go?
Will they be moved just to ROM hacking section instead of its sub-sections?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 1, 2013
Just time to post this:

stained-glass-tombstone-704138.jpg

:)

558122_DG

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
ummm, it's not dead YET so y the tombstone? lol

Esmas

General
Years
This is great! Ever since the Scrapbox subforum had been made, I knew it wouldn't work out. I mean, at first it was just a couple of small ideas that were actually worth reading, but then all of the threads got out of hand, and now there are a whole bunch of threads that look the same in most aspects. And what happens to all of these hacks? They're quit, abandoned, closed, and live in the depths of the Scrapbox subforum forever.

Thanks for doing this, guys. Best present ever. :3

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
Woohoo now well have noobs who make their hack like this in the progressing hacks! [/sarcasm]

But seriously? I love the idea of taking this junker down. But since it has become a necessity from some here to post ALL their ideas here without any real talent in hacking and have not even started it. The next thing is going to be everyone doing this... THEN they will start a hack, make one (half ass) map and get 4 screens on it. MAYBE elaborate a bit on the story and features. Make 1 or 2 crappy user bars and vwala once more we have these pestering hacks on the site. If so I hope the moderators step up and realize this to not accept some hacks which look like they are going nowhere. If they really are making a well worth hack then why are people so upset of this place going to the dumps.

I say end the scrapbox but step up moderation in thread acceptance!

Thanks for readin mah postzzzz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back