• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

need a few question answered

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokemon500

wanna learn how to use rpg
Years
i wanted to tell you about my game to see if this is to advance for a noob should lower my standards since i am a noob

its about pokemon atleast 15 years after ash becomes pokemon master and your a boy just moving to pallet town with your aunt since your parents left you to become pokemoon master and you trying to find out who they are.
thats the base of my story but this is not the theard for it i just want to know is this to much for a noob

slayerseitaro

Blood Feast Island Man
Years
TO:GMuser

GMuser: I love the h3ll out of gamemaker it tought me alot about how games work and how to solve problems. I used it way back when ver 4 was out. but looking back I wish I had spent that time learning more about programming instead of haveing everything done form me like with gamemaker. I took the time to learn GML and now I fell like I have wasted part of my brain becuse I can only use GML with gamemaker and once you get into game development as a carrer youl learn that no one knows about or cares about GML. But I will say GM6 is really really awsome!

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
Years
o_O Please don't relate Java and JavaScript to each other in that way. Java is a fully-fledged programming language. JavaScript is a simple scripting language used for websites. o_O

Years
  • Seen Feb 26, 2018
o_O Please don't relate Java and JavaScript to each other in that way. Java is a fully-fledged programming language. JavaScript is a simple scripting language used for websites. o_O
Exactly!

@ slayerseitaro:
Well version 4 is pretty ancient- so I can sort of see why you thought of it as not being such a up the top of your list sort of thing.
I already know that learning GML isn't the way to go if your after a career in game development, but learning how to program in GM is just the same as if you learnt in VB, java, c++ etc. (minus the syntax differences). Programming is programming, and the techinques in 3rd generation programming languages are gonna be the same in most cases- eg: there isn't 20 different methods of sorting an array linearly just because each language has different syntax, when you break it down, you doing the same thing in each language.

Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2006
I would truly recommend, rm2k3, rmxp, or sphere(which is a little more coding required but easy to learn). If you want to make a very complex game learn those advanced languages, like Java and C++. But if you just want to create a pokemon game like the rest of us for the heck of it, use a the three I mentioned. It'll save you lots of time, and struggle, and you'll have a pretty good game. You cant be expected to make a full fledged Pokemon Ruby Version. There is like a team of 100 experts with degrees and all, who work on the pokemon games and that is why you get a master piece. You'll never make an advanced pokemmon game like that, but something similar to it that will make us all want to play and admire it for what it is. A great pokemon fan game. Alot of us just hate waiting for a new release of pokemon so want to play a diffrent one. You get what I mean.

I hope this helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back