• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Please help me choose an OS =D

Snivi

..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸. ஐ
Years
I am getting a computer built and right now I am in the middle of telling the guy what I want. He is suggesting I go with XP Pro but I have read that Vista is good now with all the service packs?

I am thinking I want to go with Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit. Let me tell you the other features I am getting and please advise me which OS will give me the most performance. THANKS!!

If I do go with VISTA which VISTA is the best?

NOTE: I want 64 not 32 in the OS I choose.

----------------------------------------------
Processor: AMD Phenom X4 Quad core 2.6ghz
RAM 6GB
Hard Drive 1TB

Zet

Years
In all honesty Vista still has issues, even with the service packs. I have Vista SP2 32bit and I have problems all the over the place. For example sometimes when the Aero theme disappears I can't view pictures or watch videos(unless they're online). But why would you go with 64bit?

Cartmic

Hi there, it's been awhile.
Years
I am getting a computer built and right now I am in the middle of telling the guy what I want. He is suggesting I go with XP Pro but I have read that Vista is good now with all the service packs?

I am thinking I want to go with Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit. Let me tell you the other features I am getting and please advise me which OS will give me the most performance. THANKS!!

If I do go with VISTA which VISTA is the best?

NOTE: I want 64 not 32 in the OS I choose.

----------------------------------------------
Processor: AMD Phenom X4 Quad core 2.6ghz
RAM 6GB
Hard Drive 1TB

My advice would be, use ubuntu :D

http://www.ubuntu.com/

P.S. Do you seriously need 6 gig of RAM? What you going to be doing?

HarrisonH

I doubt Pokemon will be a hit
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 1, 2013
I'd wait until Windows 7 is released later this year. But, seeing as you are getting the computer now, go with Vista 64bit. XP 64bit is a laugh, and will cause more headaches than it is worth.

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2009
My advice would be, use ubuntu :D

http://www.ubuntu.com/

P.S. Do you seriously need 6 gig of RAM? What you going to be doing?

I also use Ubuntu (9.04) and I must say it's brilliant. Imo it has such an amazing community with it's support system. It has that feel of freedom, being free and open source. Not to mention there are so many options to explore and use from the community. I suggest having Ubuntu on a secondary partition along with whatever version of Windows you use. So if it doesn't suit you, you can simple format the second partition.

Gerri Shin

  
Years
I would definitely advise you go with Windows 7 x64. You can still download the release Candidate for free and it's been unofficially slated for release in the 1st or 2nd quarter of next year.

If you have to go with Vista, I would say choose Home Premium x64, it would probably give you the least headaches for Vista.

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 21, 2023
I really do hope you are joking. :|

Subtle troll is subtle, nothing like a fanboy.

And if you realise OSX = UNIX why would you go out of your way to pay for it?

Running it on regular ATX specification hardware is also illegal and should be treated as such in discussion. Also, you cannot use Apple related products for the production of weapons of mass destruction.

Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2010
Why run either when Windows is available? ^_^

Anyway, I say get Windows 7 RC 1. I don't need to provide reasons, just get it.
Because we were talking Unix OS's :) And I dunno if using a beta OS for your production environment is the best call..~

Gerri Shin

  
Years
All things being equal, there's no reason whatsoever to run Linux when there's OSX available ^_^
TBH, OSX is NOT available, Installing Mac OS X on non-Apple labeled hardware is strictly against the EULA, and is therefore, Illegal. Not to mention getting it to run on an AMD brand CPU requires even further modification. To get it to run properly you would have to know your way around the Unix Architecture to install it without more than a few errors.(and since speaking or advising someone about doing something that is illegal is not allowed here, I suggest you drop it)
Because we were talking Unix OS's :) And I dunno if using a beta OS for your production environment is the best call..~
Also to be honest, Windows 7 is one of the most stable OS right now that I've tried and is certainly just as stable, if not moreso, than Windows Vista SP0 was. (minus the drivers headache)

Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2010
TBH, OSX is NOT available, Installing Mac OS X on non-Apple labeled hardware is strictly against the EULA, and is therefore, Illegal. Not to mention getting it to run on an AMD brand CPU requires even further modification. To get it to run properly you would have to know your way around the Unix Architecture to install it without more than a few errors.(and since speaking or advising someone about doing something that is illegal is not allowed here, I suggest you drop it)
No such issues, actually - AMD CPU's will run just fine with the Voodoo kernel. And stop back-seat moderating; we've had OSX86 threads here before.

Also to be honest, Windows 7 is one of the most stable OS right now that I've tried and is certainly just as stable, if not moreso, than Windows Vista SP0 was. (minus the drivers headache)
Great. But I've got Vista SP1 which has had the benefit of a few years of maturity that the immature and still very beta Windows 7 doesn't.

HarrisonH

I doubt Pokemon will be a hit
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 1, 2013
Great. But I've got Vista SP1 which has had the benefit of a few years of maturity that the immature and still very beta Windows 7 doesn't.
Windows 7 isn't Beta anymore, it's in RC stage now.

I've been running Windows 7 ever since the beta, and it's been just as stable as XP SP3 and Vista were for me. I'd choose 7 over XP or Vista any day, mainly because of how smooth Aero is, even though I've got incredibly crappy integrated Intel graphics.

I've run OSX86 before. It actually run well on my Inspiron E1501 I had at the time. Too bad it got stolen.

Back