• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriter's Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ęℓαчиıı

Blizzagon used Arctic Claw!
Years
The solid black outline isn't that great, I would recommend just using a really dark shade of the yellow you have to go into the B/W style. For example, look at your Thunboar in that mockup screenshot, it uses a lot of dark outline and colours to really capture the B/W style which I'm assuming.

I personally don't like the style of the eyes, you could always add some of the white apart from the pupil. Kind of like Wartortle's eyes:
Spr_5b_008.png

Thanks, you guys.

I redid the sprite as it was much too big. I took your advice about the eyes, and here is the result.

pispark1.png

Also, here is another sprite I've done. The fire is supposed to be like it is, by the way. Here is Coalire.

coaliresprite.png

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
That looks good! Face looks much clearer now.

Sprites I whipped up for the obligatory early rodent and bird Pokemon of the region in my rom hack, Chiquail and Chincul.

ChiquailSprites2.png

ChinchulSprites2.png

Years
The designs are great, especially Chiquail. Don't forget Pokemon spriters are facing southwest. And Chincul looks different from his backsprite and frontsprite mainly because the latter has a different body size and ears. The front looks like a koala while the back looks like a chipmunk/chinchilla.

I would say to make your face features and details more vivid and legible;this goes to both sprites.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2014
@LaDestitute, There's a part on Chincul's back and tail that goes up in a straight line, I suggest rounding it up a bit. Also what Logiedan mentioned about the front sprites facing southwest. Otherwise, they look really great and the design is well done.

Also, I did a little Zoroark resprite. Not really sure if I got all my shading & outlining right.

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
That looks very good. I think the pose is a bit odd, though.

EarlyPokemon2.png

More early Pokemon. The region's dog versions of Nidoran (Aromutt, male on left) and the region's electric rodent, Baybolt.

Note, while Baybolt is from scratch, both Aromutts are heavy edits made from existing dA sprites (godofthat for male Aromutt sprite, and poke-7 for female Aromutt sprite).

Last edited:

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
Revamped some more old sprites~ C+C please and what-not. c:

Quick summary of the things I changed:
* Redid all the sprites- updating the palettes, smoothing them out a bit more etc.
* Added gems to all of them to make them more of a trio- before I thought that they didn't look "similar" enough. I have some kind of backstory for the gems too so yeah. :)
* Small changes on most of them- Titaneon has spikes coming out of his face, Terragon has some metal plate and body patterns etc.
* Updated the backsprites and brand new menu sprites. :)

dragon_revamps_by_superjub-d64vnhq.png

Copied from dA because I'm lazy. :o

Terragon (terra & dragon)
The Horned Dragon Pokemon
"Terragon is the fastest Pokemon at burrowing in existence. It's said it helped shape the land."
Ability: Pressure/Sand Force (hidden ability)
----
Carcagon (carcass & dragon)
The Resurrection Pokemon
"These Pokemon lurk around graveyards, feasting on the souls of the deceased to become stronger."
Ability: Pressure/Levitate (hidden ability)
----
Titaneon (titanium & dragon)
The Metallic Dragon Pokemon
"Titaneon are covered in thick metal armour that is nearly impenetrable. Only the strongest attacks can damage it."
Ability: Pressure/Sheer Force (hidden ability)
----
These sprites can be used as long as you credit me. c:

Trainer Jun

Team Rocket Veteran Trainer
Years
It's been a while since I've seen you post, Retribution. Though I haven't been doing much lurking lately... Anyway, I thought it fitting to post something I made around the time I started really doing trainer sprites.

picture.php

http://www.pokecommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8546&pictureid=70626

It's Trainer Yellow. Bits of fusion, some scratch... I figure I'm just going to re-do her, anyway, so I might as well give people a Yellow to use, with proper crediting, of course.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2014
@Retribution

Terrragon: Maybe a bit too dithered? Although I do see that your personal style involves a lot of dithering, and third gen sprites (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen) sometimes use dithering, but too much of it can take away from the "pokemon feel". The backsprite is very nice, and dithering is widely used in backsprites so it fits your style very well.

Carcagon: Its backsprite looks almost like it is facing right directly. Maybe hide the gem from view, since if it would be looking towards the upper right direction, I don't think we'd see the gem. And maybe reposition the "ears" like Titaneon's.

Titaneon (sounds like an eeveelution, lol): This one's my favorite among the three. The pose really works, considering it's very hard to come up with poses for snake-like bodies. Steel/metallic parts are really hard to manage, even I myself can't shade metal properly without using references like Skarmory or the Magnemite-line The face looks over-highlighted, seeing you used a highlight color and added another highlight (white) on top of that highlight color (see attached ok wow terrible example punches self I hope you see what I mean). Also, you might want to reconsider your palette, you can save up to 4-5 colors.

Overall, your fakemon concepts are really creative. You can do backsprites very well, but be careful with dithering for front sprites.

Again, these are all personal opinions and preferences. Keep on spriting, you're very good at it!

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
It's been a while since I've seen you post, Retribution. Though I haven't been doing much lurking lately... Anyway, I thought it fitting to post something I made around the time I started really doing trainer sprites.

picture.php

http://www.pokecommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8546&pictureid=70626

It's Trainer Yellow. Bits of fusion, some scratch... I figure I'm just going to re-do her, anyway, so I might as well give people a Yellow to use, with proper crediting, of course.

Yeah, it's been a while. xD Real-life has kinda taking over atm lol, and if I do upload stuff it's usually to deviantArt. :x I really like the sprite though- you really managed to get in all the details and the anatomy is really good too. :D

@Retribution

Terrragon: Maybe a bit too dithered? Although I do see that your personal style involves a lot of dithering, and third gen sprites (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen) sometimes use dithering, but too much of it can take away from the "pokemon feel". The backsprite is very nice, and dithering is widely used in backsprites so it fits your style very well.

Carcagon: Its backsprite looks almost like it is facing right directly. Maybe hide the gem from view, since if it would be looking towards the upper right direction, I don't think we'd see the gem. And maybe reposition the "ears" like Titaneon's.

Titaneon (sounds like an eeveelution, lol): This one's my favorite among the three. The pose really works, considering it's very hard to come up with poses for snake-like bodies. Steel/metallic parts are really hard to manage, even I myself can't shade metal properly without using references like Skarmory or the Magnemite-line The face looks over-highlighted, seeing you used a highlight color and added another highlight (white) on top of that highlight color (see attached ok wow terrible example punches self I hope you see what I mean). Also, you might want to reconsider your palette, you can save up to 4-5 colors.

Overall, your fakemon concepts are really creative. You can do backsprites very well, but be careful with dithering for front sprites.

Again, these are all personal opinions and preferences. Keep on spriting, you're very good at it!

Woah, in-depth cc. I like it! :D And yesh, Titaneon does sound a bit like an eeveelution but idk what I think to Titanagon- sounds a bit strange so I might come up with a completely different prefix. :P

Terragon: Yeah, the dithering is a bit extreme I figured it worked well with the sprite but I can always tone it down a bit and see how it looks. :) Thanks for the comment about the backsprites. :D

Carcagon: I noticed the backsprite looked like it was almost facing the player when doing it. It does kinda make it look a bit creepier, but I'll try hiding the gems and moving the eye forward anyway. :) I'll look into the ears too. ^^

Titaneon: Thanks :D I think it might have been the first one I sprited so it's gone through a lot over the years lol. Yeah, when shading the more shiny metal parts I did have a bit of trouble- I think I looked at some references like Aggron and I couldn't find any 'sty'e I really wanted. :x If only there was another metal snake-like Pokemon... I'll try experimenting a bit more & I'll see if I can improve it. :) Yeah, the white highlight is a tad unnecessary when I look back at in in retrospect. Speaking of the palette, I bet there are a lot of extra colours- I remember when recolouring them for the shinies I found this. I might have to index the sprites too to narrow down the palette.

Thanks again for the comments. :D I might add some more detail to this post later when I have some more time. :)

Trainer Jun

Team Rocket Veteran Trainer
Years
Yeah, it's been a while. xD Real-life has kinda taking over atm lol, and if I do upload stuff it's usually to deviantArt. :x I really like the sprite though- you really managed to get in all the details and the anatomy is really good too. :D

This is what happens when I REALLY want a sprite. And, since Yellow is my favorite trainer, I thought I'd do my VERY best. I'm glad you like it! :D I plan to do more in the very near future.

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
The castform is just...ugh. Needs work. Work on the outlining, tail, and head.

pokemonspritesw.png

From left to right: Hoppiler, Rollip, Suckeeto, Tuttby, and Coyoco.

Last edited:

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
The castform is just...ugh. Needs work. Work on the outlining, tail, and head.

pokemonspritesw.png

From left to right: Hoppiler, Rollip, Suckeeto, Tuttby, and Coyoco.

One thing I notice instantly is that the outlining in general is dark. And I mean really dark. While I understand the newer style of sprites does generally have dark(er) outlines too, yours are a bit too excessive. I mean, Coyoco for instance is a great example. The wings still use a dark grey outline and a black/darker grey outline. Here's Yanmega from B/W
Spr_5b_469.png
Even Yanmega's wings are lighter. If you want to emulate Game Freak's style, Yanma and Yanmega are great examples for fly-like Pokemon.

The shading ranges from being used quite effectively (e.g.: Sucketto- the head has been done pretty well imo) to a bit excessive which kinda ruins it. Again, looking at you Coyoco. The head and back with the light, medium and dark shades are just unnecessary imo, and I think removing the lightest shade would help make it a little more natural. I even thought it was reminiscent of pillow-shading (I know it's not, don't worry ;)) at a first glance.

One last thing I'd like to mention is that really the Pokemon shouldn't be directly facing the player- rather they should be alligned to the left. Goppiler for instance is obviously facing the completely wrong direction, and Rollip and Suckeeto succumb to this problem a little bit. Suckeeto probably could get away from it but it's probably best if you move the eyes a few pixels to the left and maybe align the ears a little to the left too. Rollip seems to be completely gacing the player however.

The only Pokemon I can reaaaaally think of that is strictly facing the player is Clefairy:
Spr_4h_035.png

However, this was just for one pair of games and in the subsequent generation it was again completely facing the left so... :\
Spr_5b_035.png

It's an iffy one but I would advise that all Pokemon should be faced to the left in the future.

Anyways, I do really like the designs! :D They're very unique (a grasshopper Pokemon? Yes, just yes :D) and I do like your style apart from the issues I mentioned. Tuttby, for instance, really emulates the newer Pokemon's styles well and I really like it. :D Keep up the spriting! ^^

----

Anyway, I revamped one of my earlier Pokemon. While I do not have an image of it on its own, it is part of this FakeDex: http://superjub.deviantart.com/art/New-FakeDex-WILL-BE-REGULARLY-UPDATED-301887976 It's the turtle with the blue shell. :) Anyway, I decided it was a bit bland, boring etc. so I tried to spruce it up a bit with BRIGHTER COLOURS (!!! :DDD) and a different shell. It also has an official name now (Tortosus) so yeah. :)

tortosus_revamp_by_superjub-d66r65v.png

Tortosus (tortoise & colossus)
The Tortoise Pokemon
Water/Rock
"The huge shell on Tortosus' back is used for surprise attacks and camouflage from predators."
---
C&C is appreciated! :D

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
I'm trying to improve on the outlining, as Suckeeto is the only one I'm iffy on, aside from Tuttby.

Regarding shading and facing directions, this is based off of existing fakemon artwork, so I'm trying to be accurate with the shading/facing direction. If a Pokemon is facing to the right, I generally flip it to the left, so Hoppiler will be facing towards the left in-game.

Tortosus looks nice. The shading on the body looks a tad too dittered, (don't do that, unless your going for GB/GBC style), but everything else looks really.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
I'm trying to improve on the outlining, as Suckeeto is the only one I'm iffy on, aside from Tuttby.

Regarding shading and facing directions, this is based off of existing fakemon artwork, so I'm trying to be accurate with the shading/facing direction. If a Pokemon is facing to the right, I generally flip it to the left, so Hoppiler will be facing towards the left in-game.

Tortosus looks nice. The shading on the body looks a tad too dittered, (don't do that, unless your going for GB/GBC style), but everything else looks really.

Thank you. :D Yeah, you're not the first person to tell me I use dithering too much. xD I have tried to cut down, and will try and cut down some more in the future. ^^ Funnily enough, it's more of a newerthing since when I started spriting and for a long time I used very little but then found out I liked it a lot and kinda used it excessively. xD Oh well, I'll stick to smoother shading in the future. :>

Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2015
Is there any way to show you some things I made or do I need to spam 14 more posts until I can finally post a picture/url/link? If yes - big minus point to this website... and then I will do it like this (or will this cause a ban or something similiar?):

taratos.deviantart.com/art/Venusaur-336982617
(just c&p)

good night!

Years
  • Seen Mar 9, 2016
My Tumbleweed Pokemon's first stage, Musdkal, uses a couple of the colors from the ordinary and shiny Swadloon.
The latest version is what I think is very presentable, but perhaps some suggestions on the shading and color decisions I made would be of some help.

What of the pose and size?
Tell me whether you find them unique.

I've included the earlier Sprite (my second sprite, too big and facing the wrong direction) for comparison since these are very recently made from when my interest in making them sparked up.
The newer one is my fourth sprite, improved from an on-the-fly design change with shading and a pose I didn't like, but I think it looks more like a Pokemon.

Please tell me if you think I've succeeded in that dynamic.
Except for the "eyes," which are sensory organs made visible through open slits on its "face," though if you feel they clash a bit much I'll do my best to fix them up a bit.

I am new at this so my pool of experience is a bit shallow and my familiarity with some terms may be lackluster.
I plan on creating my own showcase, then Fakedex when I have enough sprites made.

Edit:
Finished my second Fakemon!
Second stage evolution, Shudthistl, I'm generally happy about.
Had trouble with the outline coloring, I accept the shading mostly, but I don't think it is as solid as my previous work.

The limbs are tough to agree on, being all narrow and such.
Perhaps I should remove one of the colors from the upper body so I can prevent the thorns from being entirely black on their outlines.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back