• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Experience System

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Should it be easier, or harder to gain experience in X&Y?

It seems as though it was very easy to gain more experience in Generation V where we've got handed a Lucky Egg, and along with that, Audino in the wild shaking grass. Which, yeah, I can't complain about that, it's just, sometimes I wish it was harder to train pokemon, y'know? Having the satisfaction of training pokemon to fit the game's needs, it sort of adds to the challenge of completing a pokemon game, in which I do love that sort of "rush" from completing a certain challenge.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Honestly I think that it was almost too easy in the beginning to level up, but the level curve quickly turned too difficult when there was no more wild grass that would allow for easy grinding of Audino with how B/W's experience system works. If there was a way they could adjust to make it a little more difficult in the beginning and just a little easier in the end I'd be pretty happy. The Lucky Egg made everything easier in general though =P

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
I think it would be neat if Gamefreak did this:

1. Make it easy-ish to level up Pokemon. Not too easy, but relatively.
2. Make the pokemon that are going to be useful for the next big story part (be it gym leader or new area) have a difficult time leveling up against the current wild pokemon.

This would make the trainer make a decision. Take the easy and quick method of leveling up, but for your already owned pokemon, so you need overlevel, or you can take the harder method of training and get a type-advantage in the next area you travel through. This, I guess, could cater to both types of trainers. Those that want a lot of work for a great reward, or those who just want to work through the game with just a few pokemon that they picked up at the beginning (as I'm sure everyone at one point used their starter almost exclusively).

Then again, I don't really know what I'd want. I enjoyed the Audino / Lucky Egg combo in BW later in the game, but I definitely didn't abuse it early on. It's just when I got to the E4 and I wanted to, for once, have a full team of level 55 pokemon. I've never managed to get a full team to that point and I definitely enjoyed it, but if Audino / Lucky Egg didn't exists I wouldn't have even attempted that.

Years
  • Seen Aug 19, 2023
I like it just the way it is, And the level cap is just fine. IF they lowered it I would be sad, because i have a pokemon iv'e been transferring over since Fire red... At level 100. And if you have to know, Its a blastioise.
In a nutshell: CHANGE NOTHING IN THE MATTER OF LEVELS AND EXP GAINING!!!

Guy

just a guy
Years
I wouldn't like to see the experience system made any more difficult than it needs to be or too complex for that matter. I thought Gen V introduced a great thing with level based experience and then awarding us the Lucky Egg midway through the game. It didn't necessarily seem easier, but for someone like me who likes grinding just a few levels higher, it did make it more fun and less tedious ─ not something I could say about GSC or HG/SS. So long as there is a well defined level curb throughout the game, then I think they can manage to maintain the difficulty level of gaining experience at an appropriate level for everyone.

As for the level cap, 100 has always seemed like the appropriate number. To stop it at LV. 80 or 90 would just be weird. You ask why it's worth it at all, well besides just the effort and satisfaction of training a Pokémon to go as far as it could go, when you take into account EV training, you can make that Pokémon become as strong as it has the potential to become. What's the biggest difference between a LV. 80 Pokémon and a LV. 100? The difference is in the stats.

Not to mention, to change the cap of the level system would mean having to adjust what levels Pokémon learn certain moves. The difficulty of gaining experience would also have to be increased so the player is not to reach that cap too easily or too quickly.

At the end of the day, I don't see why they'd need to raise or lower the level cap, and I don't see them doing either one of them anytime soon.

Back