• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mods in video games

TY

Mods. Some people like them, some hate them. They can change a small thing in a video game, or just completely turn the game around into something new. What is your opinion on mods? What are your favorite mods? Do you mod a game yourself?

Discuss :D

srinator

I seriously thought that u were talking about your mod-ship >>
There was this mod called Garry's mod. Idk if I spelled it correctly

Oh god

Yukari

I personally Love mods, good ones anyway. I like seeing people express their creativity through mods. And sometimes they can be pretty fun. One of my favorites is the Legend of Zelda Minecraft mod, because it is so well done and adds a lot to the game. And yes, I do make mods. Specifically Minecraft and Doom mods.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Love 'em to death. They just make games better in general, and fix the many mistakes made by developers. Be they graphical, bug fixes, minor skins or even complete overhauls, mods can add a plethora of options to games, give life to mediocre ones and make more fun the already fantastic ones. Though I can't see a reason that anyone would hate mods, that seems like one of those things that someone would hate because it's popular. Especially considering that they're completely avoidable and easy to ignore.

As for my favorites? Hard to say. On the console front, though this is considered hacking, it's really the same thing in this case, there's Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Being able to pit Bayonnetta against Cloud Strife to the boss theme The Almighty from Persona 4 on a ship from Monster Hunter is just plain enjoyable. Though this game isn't as customized as others, it's interesting to see how you can personalize your game and really add flare. When I discovered modding for Brawl it added SO many hours to the experience.

On the PC, my two biggest examples are easily The Sims and Elder Scrolls. Among the plethora of games on the PC, these two have some of the biggest modding communities you will ever find. I could go on and on about how many ambitious mods have made me awe at the heights these games could reach, but I'll just keep it safe and say that these two (and most other games with mod support) are largely definitive on the PC for mods alone (and though I'm a PC gamer, among other platforms, I'm not a "PC mustard race" sayer; I'm just a guy who loves mods). Skyrim, specifically, would have been a day-one return for me on console, having preordered the game, but I bought it with full knowledge that the modding community would make the game much larger and more fun than the vanilla release, and man was I right.

Sir Codin

If you hate mods, you hate PC gaming. Get out.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
I used a lot of mods for the Sims back in the day. People had custom furniture and characters they created and I loved being able to download and use those crazy things. G-Mod is another awesome "game" that you can basically do anything you want with.

I'm interested in mods for Skyrim and Civ V if I end up getting them for PC.

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
Years
I don't really care for mods especially the mods that effects the gameplay giving the player an advantage. If you gotta use mods to win a game then practice, mods just piss other players off and makes you look like a terrible gamer.

As in mods that don't enhance the players skill then I don't mind it's in the game. As long as the mod doesn't give the player a clear advantage over another player I think it's fine.

Back