• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] New type triangle for starter Pokémon

FluorescentMunchlax

(aka Joltiikk)
Years
With some leaked screenshots from Pokemon it was revealed that there is a new type triangle, that people could now use for their games. As you know instead of Fire Grass Water a lot of people use Fighting Dark Psychic and a few use Rock Ice Ground. Now you can use the new one:

Fairy --> Fighting --> Steel --> Fairy and so on.

I'm possibly going to use this for my upcoming game but for now I will just make some sprites for it and put them up here when they're done. Hope this helped though.

The type chart:
View attachment 69584

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Coming up with triangles is something quite easy to do... things would be a lot more interesting if you come up with just two Pokemon to begin your journey with, or five.

Rock Ice Ground doesn't seem like a good triangle to me, since the majority of rock and ground type Pokemon have similar appearances and movesets.

Anyways, here are some ideas:
Three Pokemon:
Fire > Steel > Rock
Poison > Grass > Ground
Ice > Ground > Fire

Two Pokemon:
Water/Ice <> Grass
Ground/Psychic <> Grass/Poison
Steel/Ground <> Fire/Fighting
Normal/Flying <> Grass/Ice

Something even more interesting would be a triangle like Houndoom <> Breloom <> Claydol.

In my game, the starters are Poliwag and Ralts. A bit weird, you might think, but I'm kinda fed up with the "Rival picks Pokemon which has the type advantage over yours" concept.

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
Personally, I'm using the following triangle and pokemon:

Ice -> Ground -> Steel

Vanillite -> Trapinch -> Beldum

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
Okay wait, isn't a Dark Psychic Fighting not a triangle?

Dark is immune to Psychic, which completely makes it not a triangle. Unless you want a bias type-choice, of course.

Ice, Ground, and Steel are also biased, as Ground hits Ice normally.

Here's a list of all possible triangles(without the fairy)
Rock/Flying/Fighting
Fire/Rock/Steel
Grass/Poison/Ground

And by neglecting the damage by cross-typing:

Here's a list of possible Quads:
Fire/Bug/Grass/Water
Fire/Grass/Ground/Rock
Rock/Flying/Grass/Ground

And Pentagons:
Fire/Bug/Grass/Ground/Rock
Bug/Grass/Ground/Rock/Flying

this was found at:
http://www.dragonflycave.com/

This is, of course, if you were looking for legitimate triangles. That means that the type resists one and is super-effective against another.

Last edited:

Arma

The Hyena
Years
@Sunfished: I don't think the quads you posted are legitimate as well...
Fire has a advantage over both grass and bug...
and grass can easily beat rock and ground.

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
As I said, the quads and quints are workable if you ignore the cross-typing :P

But yeah, I just thought it was interesting to note that someone actually thought of quads and quints.

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
Why you would even use your ground starter against the rival's ice pokemon is beyond my level of comprehension.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Why you would even use your ground starter against the rival's ice pokemon is beyond my level of comprehension.
Most ground type Pokemon are able to carry steel and rock typed moves, some may even carry fire and fighting moves...

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
Most ground type Pokemon are able to carry steel and rock typed moves, some may even carry fire and fighting moves...

That's why I picked a starter that's only level-up learned move that is good against ice to be Rock Slide, which is learned at level 25, giving plenty of opportunity to get more Pokemon other than your starter.

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
As Elarmasecreta said, Ground has many quirks that can be still used against Ice-mons.

Also, Ice is quite frail compared to Ground attackers. They most likely can't withstand an Earthquake.

But it is your opinion, and the idea is quite new.

KoolKat vs. Lucas

KoolKat Gold
Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2013
Well, even though Ground is immune to Electric, I like the quint of

Water->Fire->Grass->Ground->Electric

FluorescentMunchlax

(aka Joltiikk)
Years
Coming up with triangles is something quite easy to do... things would be a lot more interesting if you come up with just two Pokemon to begin your journey with, or five.

Rock Ice Ground doesn't seem like a good triangle to me, since the majority of rock and ground type Pokemon have similar appearances and movesets.

Anyways, here are some ideas:
Three Pokemon:
Fire > Steel > Rock
Poison > Grass > Ground
Ice > Ground > Fire

Two Pokemon:
Water/Ice <> Grass
Ground/Psychic <> Grass/Poison
Steel/Ground <> Fire/Fighting
Normal/Flying <> Grass/Ice

Something even more interesting would be a triangle like Houndoom <> Breloom <> Claydol.

In my game, the starters are Poliwag and Ralts. A bit weird, you might think, but I'm kinda fed up with the "Rival picks Pokemon which has the type advantage over yours" concept.

I guess that would be cool to have two. It would be kinda interesting but you could do it where the two are supereffective on eachother like Ghost Ghost or Dragon Dragon but I do see where you're coming from with the multi-types... and I get what you mean with rock and ground having similar movesets, i didn't take that into account...

Personally, I'm using the following triangle and pokemon:

Ice -> Ground -> Steel

Vanillite -> Trapinch -> Beldum

That was one I considered... didn't want to clog my post with every single triangle possible, there's around 10-20

Last edited:

FluorescentMunchlax

(aka Joltiikk)
Years
Okay wait, isn't a Dark Psychic Fighting not a triangle?

Dark is immune to Psychic, which completely makes it not a triangle. Unless you want a bias type-choice, of course.

Ice, Ground, and Steel are also biased, as Ground hits Ice normally.

Here's a list of all possible triangles(without the fairy)
Rock/Flying/Fighting
Fire/Rock/Steel
Grass/Poison/Ground

And by neglecting the damage by cross-typing:

Here's a list of possible Quads:
Fire/Bug/Grass/Water
Fire/Grass/Ground/Rock
Rock/Flying/Grass/Ground

And Pentagons:
Fire/Bug/Grass/Ground/Rock
Bug/Grass/Ground/Rock/Flying

this was found at:

This is, of course, if you were looking for legitimate triangles. That means that the type resists one and is super-effective against another.

With Psychic not being able to hit Dark, you wouldn't ever use a grass move against a fire type starter, plus you could make it interesting and have the starters as
Natu 4x effective on Croagunk who is 4x effective on Sneasel. Sneasel isn't 4x effective on Natu, but instead has two types both 2x effective, making up for the lack of Natu not hitting Sneasel with Psychic moves.

Another thing, thanks for the fighitng flying rock one. Did not know that.

Psypokes has an article on type loops like these. Given, it's a bit outdated now that XY are on the horizon, but a good read.

Thanks for the link! Will be sure to check this out.

Last edited:
Years
Don't forget you also need to take stats into account when choosing starters. take for example Joeyhugg's vanillite,trapinch,& beldum triangle, beldum has a clear advantage because metagross's total base stats of 600 is alot higher the vanilluxe or flygon who have base stats of 535 & 520 respectively. also move pools are important

Back