• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Atrocities of the past

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
err, okay, koffi~

Better prep yourself for some awesome and most brutal European (and others) torture devices!

Wooooooo! Torture me baby, yeah! If that ain't evil. . ., koff~

You should ask for clarification on context first. In the Dark Ages and other older periods of history, Europe was one of the worst places, I concur, but in the modern age, many countries in Europe are surpassing the US in equality, civil liberties, and other various "good" things. Though the Middle Eastern countries are still worse than the US, we are far from the best right now.

One good thing about the US, we did all our worst stuff in a shorter period of time than other countries, so considering the age of the country, the US still has the most potential, if only the people here would stop squandering it.

ProjectMisfit

The fear of an inconceivable ending.
Years
I don't think we should let the past bind us down, but people who have actually been effected by the past should be allowed to feel as they wish. As for Columbus.. he discovered a place that was already discovered, murdered countless people, and took (I'm not sure how many) children as.. ''slaves''. Members of his crew had diaries about how crazy he was. Like I said, I don't think we should let the past bind us, but celebrating such a thing is.. I can see why some people hold a grudge about what happened, and continue to do so. As for the USA's government/military, they are far from good. They act like nothing wrong happens on our part, but I don't believe that crap.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
err, okay, koffi~

Better prep yourself for some awesome and most brutal European (and others) torture devices!

Wooooooo! Torture me baby, yeah! If that ain't evil. . ., koff~

I was being sarcastic. If you knew anything about me, you'd know that I'm the exact opposite of a weeaboo. Which is what I was mocking there.

And yeah, the Inquisition was one of the worst events in human history.

I love it when Christians say that the worst crimes against humanity were committed by atheists in the name of atheism. First off, Hitler was a Roman Catholic. His soldiers and supporters were primarily Roman Catholic. While Stalin and Mao were atheist, the people of their countries were forced to effectively worship these men as gods, creating a state religion. The same could be said for modern despots like Kim Jong-un.

And yet religion, not irreligion, caused the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Taliban's activities, 9/11, etc.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
I was being sarcastic. If you knew anything about me, you'd know that I'm the exact opposite of a weeaboo. Which is what I was mocking there.

And yeah, the Inquisition was one of the worst events in human history.

I love it when Christians say that the worst crimes against humanity were committed by atheists in the name of atheism. First off, Hitler was a Roman Catholic. His soldiers and supporters were primarily Roman Catholic. While Stalin and Mao were atheist, the people of their countries were forced to effectively worship these men as gods, creating a state religion. The same could be said for modern despots like Kim Jong-un.

And yet religion, not irreligion, caused the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Taliban's activities, 9/11, etc.

I concur that the delusion that is belief in some "god" that is unsupported by any evidence does offer a gateway to more horrible actions, as well as offer a method for extreme dictators to easily sway the general population, it's not religion's fault it happened. Yes, it is difficult to segregate the ideas from the people who purport them, but many religions do start off as peaceful.

I am going to assume that you do realize an all atheist society would not be perfect, no intelligent atheist would ever assert such a thing. What we need to address, in order to reduce the chances of such atrocities from happening in the future, is the delusion. Having a set of customs is not inherently bad, and that's what religion does for some people, typically atheists who just participate in things like church gatherings and such.

Your historical references are spot on, you just failed to address that minor detail about the difference between the delusion and the religion. Many religions are atheist, and they also are the most peaceful and least crazy ones, like Jainists, for a wonderful example. Some of the delusional people segregate themselves and even avoid contact with the rest of the world, like the Amish, who remain very peaceful.

Personally, I would love to see the delusion just no longer be acceptable by the population as a whole, that is what I do, call it what it is and let the people who have the ailment know they are not stable. But what bothers me most about this delusion, in order for it to spread they have to actually elevate the value of being stupid. Thus they promote ignorance and stupidity just to keep their delusion secure.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Kitten, Jainism isn't atheist. Nor are the Amish.

Atheism is the "rejection of the belief in deities". Jainism still asserts that the Hindu deities are real and the Amish are Christian - they believe in God.

Atheism is an irreligion. As such, religions cannot be atheist nor can atheism be religious.

--

Can you explain further the delusion? From what I've read, I think you mean the extension of one's beliefs to be 100% true in regards to all reality, and all that oppose said beliefs must be eliminated.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
Kitten, Jainism isn't atheist. Nor are the Amish.

Atheism is the "rejection of the belief in deities". Jainism still asserts that the Hindu deities are real and the Amish are Christian - they believe in God.

Atheism is an irreligion. As such, religions cannot be atheist nor can atheism be religious.

--

Can you explain further the delusion? From what I've read, I think you mean the extension of one's beliefs to be 100% true in regards to all reality, and all that oppose said beliefs must be eliminated.

Very incorrect, atheist means "without" a belief in a god, the prefix "a" means without, not against. Antitheism is what you are attempting to attribute to atheism.

Jainism is atheist, I did not state the Amish were but used them as an example of delusional people removing themselves from the general population in exchange for being allowed to live as that delusion dictates. In essence, the most peaceful of the deluded.

Either you need to learn to utilize better language, or or stop only using christian propaganda.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
"Atheism is simply the absence of belief in gods; anti-theism is a conscious and deliberate opposition to theism." - About.com

I didn't say anything about opposing theism. I said Jainists BELIEVE in deities - thus, because they believe in deities, they AREN'T atheist.

You're the one that needs to do research.

Years
All of history is relevant to some degree, I meant "when does a tragedy simply become an important event?" I think two generations post makes sense on that front.
I see what you mean. While I do think that important events can still have a big influence on the present there are unfortunately too many people around who hold on to these events as personal tragedies even when they weren't personally involved.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
"Atheism is simply the absence of belief in gods; anti-theism is a conscious and deliberate opposition to theism." - About.com

I didn't say anything about opposing theism. I said Jainists BELIEVE in deities - thus, because they believe in deities, they AREN'T atheist.

You're the one that needs to do research.

Jainism is an atheist philosophy, as Jains don't believe in deities. Similarly to Buddhism, while Jainism is related to spirituality, it doesn't acknowledge a deity. Jainism is rather a philosophy of nonviolence based in spirituality.

Knowing you, though, you probably believe that what I'm saying is lies from the "liberal media", so I'm probably wasting my time.

Back