• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game pc?

Years
So i found a game pc with this specs:

Asrock z77 extreme4
Intel core i5 2500k
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
MSI Geforce GTX 560ti Hawk
Western Digital 500 GB
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Cooler Master GX650W
Windows 7 64 bit

is this a good gaming pc?

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
It's good enough for Indie games, but for intensive AAA games, it'll be to little.
You should go with i7-4770 at the least, which is a Haswell-DT Processor.
Case, RAM, and Graphics are fine, but a different type of Processor eventually means a different type of Motherboard, but I won't go on with that, Hardware isn't my speciality, anyway.

I assume the 500 GB part is your HDD?
I've got experience with HDD and SSD, and in terms of speed, I would never go back on HDD, as SSD is way faster on every possible aspect.
The only downside of SSD is, it's 3x the price of an HDD.

Years
I've got experience with HDD and SSD, and in terms of speed, I would never go back on HDD, as SSD is way faster on every possible aspect.
The only downside of SSD is, it's 3x the price of an HDD.
From what I have heard (although I don't quite have experience with an SSD yet) is that it's better to use both an SSD and an HDD. I know a person who uses both on their tower and they use the SSD for programs and the OS install and the HDD to keep files.

Years
From what I have heard (although I don't quite have experience with an SSD yet) is that it's better to use both an SSD and an HDD. I know a person who uses both on their tower and they use the SSD for programs and the OS install and the HDD to keep files.

If possible, this is the setup you want to go with, as the storage of an HDD per GB is still miles cheaper than an SSD.

As for the PC in the OP, I'd be concerned about that Cooler Master PSU it's using. Cooler Master doesn't have the best reputation as a PSU manufacturer (their system cases and aftermarket cooling systems are amazing, however). Breakdown by itme:

Mobo: Great budget buy.
Processor: A nice budget processor. Not top of the line, though.
Heatsink: Great heatsink.
RAM: Generally considered quality RAM. Is it DDR2 or DDR3?
Video Card: Nice budget video buy.
Hard drive: Need more info other than the brand and size.
Case: Great case.
PSU: Iffy since it's a Cooler Master. If it's the bronze certified one (second version of it), it's okay, but not great. The non-bronze certified one is terrible, however.

All-in-all, it's severely limited by its PSU. It needs a better quality PSU. The wattage is fine, but you need a better quality PSU than the Cooler Master GX 650W. I'd suggest looking at Thermaltake, OCZ, or Corsair. Especially OCZ or Corsair.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
So i found a game pc with this specs:

Asrock z77 extreme4
Intel core i5 2500k
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
MSI Geforce GTX 560ti Hawk
Western Digital 500 GB
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Cooler Master GX650W
Windows 7 64 bit

is this a good gaming pc?

The CPU is the part that's pushing it, and is scraping minimum specifications for PC games ported from Xbox One and PlayStation 4 games. The GPU is also not too hot for next-gen games, but it's above min-spec. I definitely want to push for a faster CPU (perhaps something from Ivy Bridge if you're looking to limit the expenses or Haswell), and you might want to consider a current-gen mid-range card (something in the 750-760 range). No matter what, your CPU should have at least four threads (two cores is OK as long as it's multiple threads per core)

I'd also suggest getting some kind of SSD in the setup, but I'm thinking of hybrid hard disk drives. Seagate now sells third-generation hybrid disk drives for desktops, which have 8 GB of read/write NAND cache and lots of 7200 RPM storage. You'll have to reboot it several times before it gets things going, but you micromanage... nothing. And if the NAND fails, you still have a 7200 RPM disk drive :P

Years
The CPU is the part that's pushing it, and is scraping minimum specifications for PC games ported from Xbox One and PlayStation 4 games. The GPU is also not too hot for next-gen games, but it's above min-spec. I definitely want to push for a faster CPU (perhaps something from Ivy Bridge if you're looking to limit the expenses or Haswell), and you might want to consider a current-gen mid-range card (something in the 750-760 range). No matter what, your CPU should have at least four threads (two cores is OK as long as it's multiple threads per core)

I'd also suggest getting some kind of SSD in the setup, but I'm thinking of hybrid hard disk drives. Seagate now sells third-generation hybrid disk drives for desktops, which have 8 GB of read/write NAND cache and lots of 7200 RPM storage. You'll have to reboot it several times before it gets things going, but you micromanage... nothing. And if the NAND fails, you still have a 7200 RPM disk drive :P

I'm definitely considerably more concerned about that PSU in that system. The i5 specified is serviceable for many games. Maybe not top-of-the-line, system-throttling games (and most AAA titles), but it's still serviceable. The PSU, on the other hand, could drastically shorten the lifespan of the rest of the components if it's a subpar quality one, which I think makes it a higher priority to upgrade.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I'm definitely considerably more concerned about that PSU in that system. The i5 specified is serviceable for many games. Maybe not top-of-the-line, system-throttling games (and most AAA titles), but it's still serviceable. The PSU, on the other hand, could drastically shorten the lifespan of the rest of the components if it's a subpar quality one, which I think makes it a higher priority to upgrade.

What's your opinion on the PSU (and its manufacturer), by the way?

Years
What's your opinion on the PSU (and its manufacturer), by the way?

I, many people I've talked to, and numerous hardware-rating sites do not look very favorably on Cooler Master PSUs. I've not personally used this particular PSU, but a quick look at Tom's Hardware and a few other hardware sites gives me the impression that it's subpar, which was my experience with my own Cooler Master PSU that was purchased in late 2008 but failed in early 2010 (barely even over a year lifespan). The real issue is the fact that the lack of durability is caused by the less-stable voltage levels that Cooler Master CPUs have historically typically provided, and it seems many have continued having these voltage problems with their PSUs. There's a lot more fluctuation, and this will damage other components. You never want to skimp on the PSU.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 12, 2023
Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, and Enermax are all good brands for a PSU.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Why not we throw together an alternative, build-it-yourself configuration? Just need to know what is the price of the pre-build and then we can start working on a more optimal configuration.

MKGirlism

Years

I did notice, that most people here are Laptop users (I might be wrong), many of them don't offer space for two Drives.
But I agree on having an SSD for OS and HDD for files/Apps is more affordable, but sticking with one big SSD is a lot faster and safer (in case you drop your Laptop and damage it visibly, you'll know what I mean).

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I did notice, that most people here are Laptop users (I might be wrong), many of them don't offer space for two Drives.
But I agree on having an SSD for OS and HDD for files/Apps is more affordable, but sticking with one big SSD is a lot faster and safer (in case you drop your Laptop and damage it visibly, you'll know what I mean).

The OP seems to be asking for opinions on a desktop PC.

Either way, I agree, but I'm thinking of less kludge-y methods. Like one hybrid disk drive, or having the hard disk drive as the primary drive and use Intel Rapid Storage Technology to utilize the SSD as a cache.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
thanks guys

ow yeah this pc is 350 euro.

This would be about 472 USD before any taxes.

It's actually hard to squeeze in a non-pre-build that is optimal... xD

I'm not very sure about the PSU, though. If this computer is offered by a system builder, ask if the PSU can be changed (at a fee).

MKGirlism

Years
The OP seems to be asking for opinions on a desktop PC.

Either way, I agree, but I'm thinking of less kludge-y methods. Like one hybrid disk drive, or having the hard disk drive as the primary drive and use Intel Rapid Storage Technology to utilize the SSD as a cache.

I was confusing 2 Threads, I guess.
How thick of me.

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
Years
The components in that machine aren't bad, but at this point they're kind of minimal. I'd suggest at least swapping the CPU for a i5-3570k and the GPU for a GTX 660. Doesn't need to be right now, you can worry about that when you have the money.

Also the PSU seems kind of meh. I'd have it swapped for something by Antec, Corsair, or Seasonic if possible.

Back