• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Different Metagames and battling revival stuff

Anti

return of the king
Years
So, it seems like no one actually wants to play BW OU. That's fine, but a stubborn inertia will only suck the forum of what remains of its life. In order to stop that, we're going to shift our focus to other metagames for us PCers to play together. But we need to make sure this is collective so it isn't just two or three people pushing people to do something they don't want. So that's what this thread is for.

Basically, We're aiming for four metagames to have a tournament for in the coming ComNight (see T&E for that). That way we can get a feel for what meta(s) we want to seriously pursue as something of a "replacement" for BW OU. Any generation, any tier is up for discussion or "nomination."

Some especially notable potential metas include:

BW NU
DPP OU (post-Salamence ban)
Advance OU
RBY OU
GSC OU
DPP UU (post-Heracross ban)
BW Ubers

...And many more. We want to narrow it to four, so this is for a little discussion and a poll coming soon.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I haven't done anything else other than BW, so I'm just throwing support behind BW NU. :x

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
I dont mind, i like all of them.
lol.gif

Just no BW OU lol.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2012
As i've stated, im down to play BW the most due to the fact it's the direction i see pokemon going in. I know the debate stands that some believe there are too many "random" occurences that are hard to calculate for. But that's the FUN OF IT!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
DPP OU or UU for sure. BW NU and Adv OU seem like good picks as well. I am fine with anything else as the last one (GSC OU perhaps?), or really anything for that matter.

Also, throwing this out here: we could try metagames we haven't played yet as Community Night tournament themes. That would give everyone a better idea of what to expect.

Edit: Oh, and we could try making our own BW standard metagame as the fourth metagame.

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I wouldn't mind playing any metagame, even BW OU. I have strong preference to BW metagames in general, though.

Years
I hate to be that guy but I still think we should still acknowledge BW OU since it's the most competitively relevant tier and the one that most people start/develop in. Obviously everyone in the community doesn't like BW because it's hard to achieve success in because of Volt Turn, BPass etc or just prefer other metas to it like Zeb and D-A, but despite this I think it should still be the focus here for virtue of relevance/popularity.

Um Id also like to advocate against GSC OU; it probably sounds fun but it's generally just a stallish meta that usually requires a lot more thinking to play at a high level that most of us can/would like to exert. ADV would be neat though.

Oh, and we could try making our own BW standard metagame as the fourth metagame.

This sounds cool, Id stay away from dw stuff but re 'testing' chomp tdawg etc would be cool.

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Um Id also like to advocate against GSC OU; it probably sounds fun but it's generally just a stallish meta that usually requires a lot more thinking to play at a high level that most of us can/would like to exert. ADV would be neat though.

Why is that a bad thing ? Id prefer a high thinking metagame rather than just putting Volc and Nitetales on your team and then simply clicking Quiver Dance or something with base 9999 attack and clicking its stab move and watching a mon die. :\

GSC takes alot of skill, true. But you dont have to play stall, infact full stall doesnt WORK at all in GSC (NYPC events are to blame for this and also Celebi not being in the OU metagame). There i said it. You try stalling in a metagame with Growth Eons, Drum Lax, JoltWak, DruidCruel Explosion teams etc. Its essentially impossible. Offense these days is the way to go. The fact of the matter pure stall is always going to lose in GSC because it just doesn't do anything lol. Aggressive stall is the most dangerous stall playstyle even then its really hard because of the aforementioned stuff.

EDIT:

Wouldnt mind DW OU or DP OU at all tbh though, im leaning towards either of those.

Lightning Zap poops on Volt Turn, Keldeo poops on rain better scarfers (chomp) etc. Also retest Exa plz.

Anti

return of the king
Years
I'm going to have to agree that GSC is a bad idea. I am not against skill-based metagames but for all of the "you can't win with full stall in GSC" that have popped up in the past 24 hours, the games are (from the small sample size of GSC battles I've seen) undoubtedly longer and proceed at a very unfortunate pace. Yeah, touting "skill" and all of that sounds nice, but we also want a fluid, fun game. In that respect, Advance is superior and still quite skill-based. I don't know what GSC would add to that. Advance OU is my first choice.

DPP OU was apparently better without Salamence, though the issues came mostly with Latias IMO. Either way, a lovely meta. DPP OU would be my second choice.

BW NU as well, mostly to represent Gen 5.

Speaking of which,

I hate to be that guy but I still think we should still acknowledge BW OU since it's the most competitively relevant tier and the one that most people start/develop in. Obviously everyone in the community doesn't like BW because it's hard to achieve success in because of Volt Turn, BPass etc or just prefer other metas to it like Zeb and D-A, but despite this I think it should still be the focus here for virtue of relevance/popularity.

I get what you're saying, but if BW is in fact unpopular among the userbase and the activity base, why would we feature it? I just don't see how keeping it around because it's recent if things would be more fun with a different meta. And ultimately, that's why we come on forums: to have fun. I would even argue that it's not relevant since no one here seems to actually play it. Maybe in the world of competitive as a whole it is, but not here. And here should be our primary focus. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the argument, but it seems like it's advocating for BW OU as the standard metagame even though it acknowledges that no one seems to actually like the meta or at least not like it as much as others. That doesn't make sense to me.

That being said, for the fourth slot I really like the created metagame thing though I question its practicality. The potential is really awesome because of involved things like tests for members to get excited about, AND it's a nice thing that sets us apart.

But for now, that seems like it's a bit down the horizon. My fourth and final preference is DPP UU, as it is still a fairly modern meta in a way that, say, ADV OU is not. Or so I've been led to believe!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
I think it would be a good idea to keep BW OU though. After all, it's the official metagame and the first one new battlers learn. It makes the forum more approachable if a user already has experience in standard play and wants to participate in CBC. So, BW OU, BW NU, DPP OU, and Adv OU could work. We could add another metagame to the mix once we have adjusted to this.

Years
Yea p much what wolf said. We can still play other tiers among our community since obviously we're still doing this for fun, but the second sentence of wolfs post is exactly the point I wanted to get across. I'm all good with the tiers wolf proposed as well.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
For our created metagame, i dont see why we just dont release all DW abilities and mons and test from thereon out for BW OU/our created metagame. We really dont have anything to lose PLUS it opens up a much more diverse and exciting metagame. For example stuff like Rough Skin Garchomp and Blaze Blaziken have the potential to be OU in our created metagame. Plus we can retest Excadrill i feel as it has an awesome check in dreamworld, that being TechniLoom and Iron Fist Conkeldurr. Obviously we can test and ban stuff if its broken *coughShadowTagChadelureCough* but i dont see what the downside is to this really.

That being said id also like to open the flood gates for an even more diverse metagame with complex bans (see: Sand Veil/Snow Cloak and SS/Hail on same team) maybe thats a little much but yeah. Im also kinda want to (re)test some of the ubers like Manaphy, Lugia (this is a stretch) and Deoxys-N (also a stretch lol), Thundurus etc.

Hate to admit it but im kinda excited for the created metagame idea if it comes to fruition lol.

EDIT:

ALSO FREE GIRATINA-O lol <---was a joke. =P

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
The metagame would be more interesting with Dream World. I don't see why we can't have it. The only arguments against it (afaik) would be either: 1) without DW the metagame would be ~official~, or 2) the occasional release of a DW release keeps the metagame fresh. This metagame is being done "for fun," so it doesn't really need to be playable on the games legitimately anyway. And I think we should avoid complex bans unless we really need them. Every Pokémon that has either Sand Veil or Snow Cloak has a second ability thanks to DW, so a Sand Veil / Snow Cloak ban can be done. Also, Dream World includes unreleased items like the stat boosting berries and Soul Dew, right?

By the way, the following tournament themes will be for CN: BW NU, DPP OU, Adv OU, and GSC OU. Basically, it's all of the past generation OU tiers sans RBY, with BW NU. Once CN is over with, mostly everyone will have experienced those tiers and we could a voting poll afterwards.

Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2012
I'm entirely unfamiliar with most of these metagames, only dabbling here and there in some of them such as Adv OU or GSC. Which I feel is part of the fun in trying them out.

I'd put my vote in for most anything that isn't pre-Adv and that's even stretching it a bit cause I really hate the way third gen's physical/special moves are bound by typing instead of being bound individually. It feels suffocating when you're making sets for your pokes. I'm still willing to try it, though, because I know there has to be some merit and/or skill to playing it.

I also don't have any problems with BW OU. It's not my specialty but I'm pretty familiar with most of the pokes so it'd be easy to jump into.

Anti

return of the king
Years
I like making DW the "created" meta especially since it's basically the "endgame" of BW OU anyway.

Hate to admit it but im kinda excited for the created metagame idea if it comes to fruition lol.

That's probably a good thing lol.

I will say though (at the risk of being a downer), we really need to make sure that everyone is on board with this (read: not just the people who post in this thread...EVERYONE) because we have a small but VERY unsuccessful history of "oh this sounds cool" initiatives that only a couple people actually want to do. I think it's the least we could do.

Also, how would we test with such a small userbase? While I feel like our userbase issues are hugely overstated (it was never that huge/as long as the people we have are on board, who cares?) but here I actually don't know how we can run a test...it worries me a little.

Regardless, sounds fun. I'm looking forward to it.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Well why not make a poll to see what metagame people want as the main one ?

I already had a vague idea about the test process.

• Set up ladder with stuff unbanned
  • post a thread with the "NP : D_A is cute" like smogon does but for our tests i guess. That way we can discuss stuff and get an idea of what people are complaining about/what is good.
  • Keep ladder up for a month or so
  • Reqs for voting
  • Get people to post noms to wolf who have reqs
  • Wolf posts a thread with results.
sparkle shimmer lol. I guess we'll just have to hype it a little to get people interested.

Last edited:
Years
Well why not make a poll to see what metagame people want as the main one ?

I already had a vague idea about the test process.

• Set up ladder with stuff unbanned
  • post a thread with the "NP : D_A is cute" like smogon does but for our tests i guess. That way we can discuss stuff and get an idea of what people are complaining about/what is good.
  • Keep ladder up for a month or so
  • Reqs for voting
  • Get people to post noms to wolf who have reqs
  • Wolf posts a thread with results.
sparkle shimmer lol. I guess we'll just have to hype it a little to get people interested.

Are we even active enough to do this?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Tbh I'd say it is. I can think of like 11 that'd be willing and all of us can continue to advertise CBC to increase those stats. But I like da's idea :3

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well because not everyone who may vote may not be qualified - since all of CBC's regs compared to PO's regs probably aren't appropriate to base any sort of voting upon. :c

Back