• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon, too long?

Years
So I was playing Y the other day, and happened to come across a shiny (green) Azurill. The first thought to come to my mind was I had [already] come across better shinys in Y and I didn't want this one. So I fainted it and moved on. Upon telling my friends this, they (of course) freaked out at how stupid that had been. I then suddenly realized, I have been playing Pokemon too long when I give up a shiny. So, what I am asking is if any of you have had those kinds of moments where you just realize it's been far too long. So, have you, and if so, what exactly were they?

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
Years
So I was playing Y the other day, and happened to come across a shiny (green) Azurill. The first thought to come to my mind was I had [already] come across better shinys in Y and I didn't want this one. So I fainted it and moved on. Upon telling my friends this, they (of course) freaked out at how stupid that had been. I then suddenly realized, I have been playing Pokemon too long when I give up a shiny. So, what I am asking is if any of you have had those kinds of moments where you just realize it's been far too long. So, have you, and if so, what exactly were they?

For me, Pokémon is a lifestyle (or at least a significant part of a lifestyle): one cannot do it for "too long". Or at least I certainly can't, haha. As for your question though: the closest thing I could say would be that I recently realized that I know a lot about Pokémon. To rephrase: I've always known that I've always known a lot about Pokémon (I'm a die-hard Generation I girl), but recently I was helping out a young friend of mine who was showing me their X Version. Well, it turns out that that was their very first Pokémon game ever, and their very first introduction to Pokémon in general. They didn't know anything about previous generations, or about the specifics of types, or attacks: so, long story short, I ended up basically regaling them with my wisdom of generations past, and the way Pokémon used to be, pre-Generation VI (I cracked up when I was having to explain that the screen of the game didn't used to light up on its own; I had to buy an attachable flashlight for my GameBoy, back in the day, hahaha).

It's not quite what your question is about, I know... It didn't so much make me realize I'd been playing Pokémon for too long, just a very long time... Made me feel pretty old, actually, hahaha :pink_laugh:

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
I think I had a moment like this when Pokemon Black/White were announced, and I wasn't even remotely excited. Since Gold/Silver, I've always been extremely excited for the release of the next Pokemon game; it's one of the reasons I love the franchise. The fifth generation didn't do this for me at all, and I just thought to myself "Has it really been so long that I've gotten bored of it?"

...fortunately, I had this feeling in abundance last year with X and Y's announcement. But I think I know where you're coming from - stick with something for long enough and, eventually, you're probably going to get bored with it. It takes something truly captivating to keep your attention for such a long time.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Yeah, I believe that you can play a game to much and get burnt out. That's with everything in life, even the die hard fans take a break. Yeah, it was dumb to let a shiny go since they are so rare. xD

Valerie the Gym Leader

Fairy type Pokemon rule
Years
I sometimes play a Pokemon game for so long that I just can't play it anymore. I have to have a break from Pokemon for a while. After a couple of months I start to play the games again. I might have played and completed Emerald like 10 + times.

HUF_DBC

I think I had a moment like this when Pokemon Black/White were announced, and I wasn't even remotely excited. Since Gold/Silver, I've always been extremely excited for the release of the next Pokemon game; it's one of the reasons I love the franchise. The fifth generation didn't do this for me at all, and I just thought to myself "Has it really been so long that I've gotten bored of it?"

...fortunately, I had this feeling in abundance last year with X and Y's announcement. But I think I know where you're coming from - stick with something for long enough and, eventually, you're probably going to get bored with it. It takes something truly captivating to keep your attention for such a long time.

I was the same way when Diamond and Pearl came out haha. I had no desire to play them at all and I basically did not care for them, But I got Pearl around when Black and White came out and I loved it haha.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Love the games, but playing them for too long, though, could definitely ruin the fun--perfect example of the old saying, "too much of a good thing could be bad." :P Back when I had Pokémon Emerald, I once played it for eight straight hours non-stop, from 8 in the morning to 4 in the evening (did have launch in the middle, but kept playing it with one hand while eating with the other). Couldn't stand the game next day, and stopped playing for nearly a week. Haha.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
Shiny Azumarill. Eh. Lame anyways.
See I grew out for a while so I missed all the new games so I'm trying to ease back into it.

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
I didn't get into Pokemon until highschool, but now that I'm graduating college soon I am starting to realize that eight years might be too long; especially considering that I only play the GBA games and their romhacks.

Years
  • Seen Jul 10, 2016
Taking a break from these games can really do a lot for their appeal. If I don't play for a few months then start a new file I tend to burn through the game quickly and have a blast doing it

Back