• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: Pokemon above level 100

Years
I've been trying to do this too. I managed to find the level check for the exp bar, but not the one for actually gaining exp or anything. I really wanted to do this because it'd make for a fun run through.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
I would also like to make sure that everyone knows that without changing all learned move structure over to Jambo's structure, learned moves wouldn't happen over 127.

As Jambo and shiny have said, the game assumes level 100 for everything: Exp, damage, catch rate etc. Not to mention, your Pokemon will never be able to be traded to another hack unless they have the exact same changes.

/personal opinion: Just split your hack into two games. It is honestly more fun that way. Long story lines can be great and all, but most people have trouble finishing one hack with a level cap of 100, try having one up to 255.

Years
I don't really care about learning moves over 100, or anything more than just stat boosts. I also dont plan on building a game off of this. I just want to do it for funnsies, and like anything else I hack, just to say I did it. But most of all it'd be amusing sweeping the elite 4 with a lvl 120 charizard or something.

cjcman95

codycarol95
Years
lol

LOL this would be a sweet thing to have. I always wanted my pokemon to go past 100

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2015
This would be a great thing to do for just the opponents! The player's level cap would still be 100, but the opponents' cap would be over that. Just to buff 'em up. Would be good to do something like this for Pokemon Trainer Red. Would there be any good way to keep the player's Pokemon from going over 100, but the opponents to go over 100? I know KarateKid mentioned 127, that would be a good level cap, assuming the player's Pokemon can't go over 100.

PSYqualiac

King of Eatos!
Years
So, I'm sorry for necro-ing this, but I realized we don't have a definitive answer on the code changes to do what the OP asked. From what I re-read our local experts have given the following pros and cons:

Pros:
-Increases storyline
-Allows for multi-regioning
-Can add a new depth

Cons:
-Involves doing a LOT of code reworking
-May break the game
-Pokemon can't be traded to other hacks unless the same changes are made

Do we know exactly what changes to make?
If yes, why doesn't somebody skilled at coding end up making a tool for this to change the level cap and the stat curves accordingly? Honestly, if the same tool is used on multiple hacks that have this feature, then trading between hacks would still be a thing. Just my new cents.

PokeBunny

Pokemon Game Maker
Years
When I get a laptop, I'll try to make code changes, possibly for all Generation 3 games. But I'll also have to change the whole Stat system to actually do the stupid calculations, and change any code used for adding Pokémon, and code for leveling up.

PS. How will you like items to boost EV's up and for maximum values to be 64? (Since I'm changing the stat system)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
This wouldn't work for the player leveling, but for enemies I think you could just set the pokemon to over level 100 just before battle. Possibly just use jpan's hacked engine and the set-level var 0x4052 to 0xff-yourlevelhere? although if it really turns everything into missingnos when you hack the value that won't work.

Also, I'm not really convinced that you need to break the cap for multi region fun. I frequently go through one region with pokes that are still under level 50, but then again I blast through the game with almost no grinding :P Two regions balanced like Johto gives same result. Leveling is far more tedious at the higher levels to boot. I imagine you could easily stuff in three or even four regions before this would ever become a problem and I've never seen a five region hack. I don't think this feature would add any depth or, well, really even be something I would notice in a playthrough because I'd never get high enough (yeah, I admit, I growl/leechseeded Brock once to death with Bulba because I was too impatient to level up to Vine Whip, so maybe I'm not the best judge) and even then, relying on having your enemy be higher levels than you for difficulty isn't, eh, always my idea of a challenge if the solution is just grinding.

Rexmario41

The Real Rex Sprite hacking
Years
I Got a question, how do you set level cap to Level 255 without turning the pokemon into Missingno?
Thanks, RexMario41 :)

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
it is my work:
in these offest change
0x030094
0x30198
0x3dbf8
0x41860//when you change here,the pm cannot level up
0x43b5e
0x43be0
0x49ed0
0xe7fe8
0xe80f0//when you change here,your pmExp will not normal
change ca 20 40 00 to 80 20 80 00
and in 47000to48000,i change some D1 to DB
hope me can help you

AtecainCorp.

Rejishan awake...
Years
it is my work:
in these offest change
0x030094
0x30198
0x3dbf8
0x41860//when you change here,the pm cannot level up
0x43b5e
0x43be0
0x49ed0
0xe7fe8
0xe80f0//when you change here,your pmExp will not normal
change ca 20 40 00 to 80 20 80 00
and in 47000to48000,i change some D1 to DB
hope me can help you

Excuse me. That offsets is for FR or it was for Any Rom?

Blah

Free supporter
Years
This is a rather interesting concept. I don't see much practical use, but it's defintely interesting enough for me to check out :D

Anyways, I looked into the Rare candy routine, and removed the limiter which caused me to run into a "evolution stone" script. I removed that portion as well, and ended up being able to feed a level 100 Pokemon a rare candy.

The result was rather sad, it did this:
ooPSO3k.png

I'm not too sure why that happened.

EDIT: I should also mention it's learning moves as if it was level 101. So in theory if you get it to level to "0" like I just did, and it had no moves at 100 it will relearn all the moves in it's move table.

EDIT2: Hmm alright. So I think this will take a large amount of work, it's not something that will be able to be changed by removing a few limiters. The Pokemon stat calculations and everything are working, however it's reading values from an offset using a level dependant algorithm(I think). As such the experience curves and learn moves and all that good stuff are severely damaged. And we end up with the stat gains messed up:
kwi2M2J.png

Bottom line: Give up :D

Last edited:

PSYqualiac

King of Eatos!
Years
Well, as far as practicality goes, I want to make a 7 region game. Using already released Gens 1-6, and then Gen 7 when it's released. My current project is practice for before then.

As far as the point of doing this otherwise... For Science! We have pushed to the edge of what we should do... Now let's push past the edge and do the things we shouldn't do! :D

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
Excuse me. That offsets is for FR or it was for Any Rom?
it was for FR and you should do others for example,you should add some other EXP 'table,beacuse the lv101 need new EXP species.

timg

today i finish this work and it is so hard.
(sorry i use is a china FRROM)
timg

Last edited by a moderator:

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
Because that hacker can humble brag all he or she wants with the image, if anything is to come of that information, we need the source code/the edits that were done.

I mean they posted some offsets earlier. When looking at them, I wasn't able to make sense of them, but they didn't just post an image.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 6, 2019
I mean they posted some offsets earlier. When looking at them, I wasn't able to make sense of them, but they didn't just post an image.
It's still not the full source code, so until AkimotoBubble posts exactly what he did to achieve this, I will not give two f**** about those images. (I'm also not a fan of increasing the level cap personally, since game balance will be flung out of the window, but whatever)

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
This is a rather interesting concept. I don't see much practical use, but it's defintely interesting enough for me to check out :D

Anyways, I looked into the Rare candy routine, and removed the limiter which caused me to run into a "evolution stone" script. I removed that portion as well, and ended up being able to feed a level 100 Pokemon a rare candy.

The result was rather sad, it did this:
ooPSO3k.png

I'm not too sure why that happened.

EDIT: I should also mention it's learning moves as if it was level 101. So in theory if you get it to level to "0" like I just did, and it had no moves at 100 it will relearn all the moves in it's move table.

EDIT2: Hmm alright. So I think this will take a large amount of work, it's not something that will be able to be changed by removing a few limiters. The Pokemon stat calculations and everything are working, however it's reading values from an offset using a level dependant algorithm(I think). As such the experience curves and learn moves and all that good stuff are severely damaged. And we end up with the stat gains messed up:
kwi2M2J.png

Bottom line: Give up :D
The reason it rolled over to level 0 is because the game doesn't know what to do with a level 101 Pokemon, so it just rolls it over to level 0 and treats it as such. It will also rollover to that level if you get it past level 255, but that can't be changed without changing the maximum variable for levels, so it's an actual hard limit as opposed to this soft limit. Those weird numbers there are the game removing ALL of the stat gains that Rhydon has accumulated and reducing all its stats to 5, and it can't show numbers over 99 so it puts a ? on the first digit to signify that number is over 100.

As for getting a Pokemon that's over level 100, it is possible to some extent, I think. In Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow you could do it by making a hybrid with two Pokemon with different experience tables, and you can run into wild Pokemon with levels over 100 through the Old Man Glitch. Granted, if they weren't hybrids they would be reduced to level 100 upon given experience or a Rare Candy but their stats worked just fine, and they didn't really learn any moves past level 100 unless they were glitch Pokemon. I'm not sure if you can get a Pokemon over 100 in Gen 2 but given how arbitrary code execution and glitch research has advanced it's possible for sure. As for Gen 3, I've seen glitch Pokemon at level 127 before. ChickasaurusGL did a video of a subglitch of the original Pomeg glitch, which involved accessing Pokemon beyond the 6th party slot, and it glitched variables in the game to a large extent, including glitching up some battles so that the opponents would both send out Bad Eggs at level 127 or so. Granted they were glitched and their checksums were off making them Bad Eggs but it's certainly possible, and I would definitely look that video up (be warned though, it's long.)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
I wonder if this went possible. This reminds me Feral Chaos in Dissidia Duodecim. Its level is 130 while highest can be achieve by any player is 100 (but still can be taken down though). Enough of FC or I would get this off-topic.

Implementing this idea would touch and/or ruin much at the EXP gaps at each level. Breaking the limiter which only limits to 100 and expanding the EXP gaps table will do much but it will be truly impossible to be done as smooth as silk. I don't know if there are tables for the EXP gap but a certain routine makes it go. The idea next is how much a Pokemon will gain EXP to get to 101 and onwards until 255, and the final level's maximum EXP. I can't imagine if this is easier in trainers just for a while. Wild or any other enemy would too but I can't really imagine if the above 100 user goes to you. This will mess save files too (since that you can edit the amount of EXP in save files using save editor programs like A-Save). Developing this idea will turn very buggy. This idea is ten times ouchy than Touched's Mega Evolution implementation.

Just sharing point of views but no need to reply this unless you have to judge something. I'm just saying what would happen. If I'm wrong, I would not delete this message and leave this trashed here.

Back