• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity Get-Together Pixel Art Event!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Sprite/Pixel Art:
dpmfa025.png

Digital Art:
sugimori025.png

digitalart.jpg

Entry coming soon...

mockingod

Super Mario World Hacker
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 29, 2010
Ok is this it?????????? Because I just used squares

Years
  • Seen May 11, 2016
I think I can help a little bit with the situation.

Pixel art is a form of digital art, created through the use of raster graphics software, where images are edited on the pixel level.

As for the difference, just see Spherical Ice's post.

Years
hey, im wokring on mine now. its gonig to be horrible x3

but, dont worry, i know what pixel art is. though i was thinking of mixing PC and Fall, if thats alright, you can choose what to judge on. Now, just a quick question, i can add sprites to this picture right? i have the perfect idea. for some reason, Ho-Oh Reminds me of fall! x3 maybe its because of its new HG/SS cutscenes where it flies aronud, and it looks all autumny.

well, here it is. its so horrible x3 but it was just for fun, to pass time ;D

Ho-oh.gif

gah, i just noticed, it may not be pixel art. i fail so badly T_T

Last edited:

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
I really don't understand why some of the people that posted didn't get the difference between general digital art and pixel art. Digital art is all about drawing with a PC, basically. Pixel art is a form digital art, obviously. However, in order to be true pixel art, some rules need to be followed. For example:

Wikipedia said:
Image filters (such as blurring or alpha-blending) or tools with automatic anti-aliasing are considered not valid tools for pixel art, as such tools calculate new pixel values automatically, contrasting with the precise manual arrangement of pixels associated with pixel art.

Palettes are pretty important:

Wikipedia said:
The limited number of colors presents a challenge when attempting to convey complicated concepts and ideas in an efficient way.
The limited palette often implemented into pixel art usually promotes the use of dithering in order to achieve different shades and colors, but due to the nature of this form of art this is done completely by hand. Hand-made anti-aliasing is also used.

Regarding the file format, instead:

Wikipedia said:
Pixel art is preferably stored in a file format utilizing lossless data compression, such as run-length encoding or an indexed color palette. GIF and PNG are two file formats commonly used for storing pixel art. The JPEG format is avoided because its lossy compression algorithm is designed for smooth continuous-tone images and introduces visible artifacts in the presence of dithering. BMP is also avoided, due to its lack of image compression and poor cross-platform support.

I hope everything's clearer now. Just in case, here's a little comparison I made:

214v7rs.png

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2011
i removed those clouds, now what?
now i have indeed made it pixel by pixel.

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
Years
Theme: Autumn

cherubiautumn.png

I was bored, so I drew an Autumn Cherubi. :D Not really meant to get very far in the event.
Since it's the Fall, its second head wilted and fell off.

omomo0725

Mudkip Lord
Years
Theme:fall

here is my Fall entry.
Pumkin.jpg

Just somthing I tossed to gether using some left over sprites
Also are we aloud to use real pokemon sprite and modify into a fall like theme? cause if we can I want to change my entry.

If it was made pixel by pixel then whats with the white lines surrounding it all.
only thing that looks hand drawn is the handle and this is still not pixel art.
go into lets say...ms paint and use the magnifine glass then use the pencil tool and draw pixel by pixel.
also you want to add shading into your art as well as it wont be counted for as pixel art.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 21, 2024
I just kinda threw this together randomly:
250s64p.jpg

If that isn't qualified as "Pixel Art" then, enter this instead. I made it last year for halloween:
1z5uk2a.png

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
Years
Here's my entry, hope it's not too late.
358nxxw.png

Pichu has just discovered that fall has arrived! XD

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2011
what do ya mean i didnt made it pix by pix? thats exactly what i did.
and actuallt they are'nt while lines, they appear to be coz its actually a faint grey colour.
u magnify it and then u know it

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
Years
what do ya mean i didnt made it pix by pix? thats exactly what i did.
and actuallt they are'nt while lines, they appear to be coz its actually a faint grey colour.
u magnify it and then u know it
I don't really believe that you made it pixel by pixel. This is because it looks like you took an image from Google, edited it a bit, erased the "handle," and redrew it. I can tell because no one draws something with that much anti-aliasing in it, especially someone who's a novice at spriting. And I don't see a reason why you kept a black background.

And we all know that those aren't white lines. But the thing is, they're there.

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013

Yeah vepser couldn't say it any better
I shouldnt have to DQ this twice
DISQUALIFIED
sigpic137355_14.gif

It's not very Pokemon-y...
but I felt there was no better way to represent Pixel Art than with the men who
started their glorious careers in pixels.
You realize this pixel art theme means you have to sprite everything by yourself
DISQUALIFIED
I just kinda threw this together randomly:
250s64p.jpg

If that isn't qualified as "Pixel Art" then, enter this instead. I made it last year for halloween:
1z5uk2a.png
Sorry but a fusion isnt 100% made by you and the other thing well :/
It seems the exact thing that Advancedk9 did so both of them are
DISQUALIFIED

Now we are gettingbetter entries and ones that are following the rules so keep it up guys

Sackferth

Fonetics Phanatic
Years
Yeah vepser couldn't say it any better
I shouldnt have to DQ this twice
DISQUALIFIED

You realize this pixel art theme means you have to sprite everything by yourself
DISQUALIFIED

Sorry but a fusion isnt 100% made by you and the other thing well :/
It seems the exact thing that Advancedk9 did so both of them are
DISQUALIFIED

Now we are gettingbetter entries and ones that are following the rules so keep it up guys

I did sprite those myself, is it because they already existed?

Sackferth

Fonetics Phanatic
Years
Theme
Your submission is required to fit into either of these two themes:
1. Fall. In other words, an autumn theme that can range anywhere from leaves, scarecrows, pumpkins, halloween, etc.
2. PokéCommunity. This can range anywhere between a scene of you and your friends here at PC, something resembling the PC logo, etc.

Pertaining to the other aspect of my DQ, I honestly did those from memory. It took me forever, but I did. That first link would have actually helped quite a bit if I was looking for sprites. In all seriousness though, I don't see how that second one would help really.

Considering the similarities, would I have time to redo them in a more original manner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back