• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Graphics.

3D Graphics good or Bad?

• Good

Votes: 103 88.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Dosen't Matter

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
This is the only thing that really concerns me about these games. As a general rule, outside of the most carefully tailored and polished first person games, 3D graphics have been distractingly cheesy, and this is ESPECIALLY the case with past 3D Pokemon graphics. I've never understood the desire among fans for 3D graphics, since the 3D versions of Pokemon have always, absolutely without exception, looked worse than the sprites. At least the sprites, if one can only fill in that third dimension in the mind's eye (which has become easier with each generation, with the improvements in 2D graphics) have actually looked pretty much like Pokemon. The 3D ones never have. Not even close. They've never looked even vaguely like 3D renderings of Pokemon - they've always looked like exactly what they were - 3D meshes.

At least with the sprites, I could get drawn in and start watching the action and forget, if only for a while, that it was only a visual representation in a game. With the previous 3D meshes (and the upcoming ones, if the screenshots are anything to go by), I simply can't do that, since they're so obviously NOT Pokemon - they're meshes and they're always meshes and they never stop being meshes. They don't look 3D - they just look fake.

I guess we'll see though, hmm?

TrainerTori

Growlithe Fan
Years
*fangirl scream*
OK. I am STOKED!!
I can understand a bit of disappointment with the textures, but HOLY COW this is leaps and BOUNDS beyond where they were!

I personally think it looks beautiful. Is it comparible to top of the line graphics - no, but I don't think that's Pokemon's edge.

Years
I feel like the graphics change was too much of a jump since all the games before X and Y had a similar graphics style whereas this is an entire overhaul of the visual style of the game. Definitely will miss the sprites a lot too, since I just don't have as much attachment for 3D Pokemon artwork, though I'm willing to bet I'll get attached quickly enough once we get more previews of the games.

So yeah... will take getting used to but still a change I welcome!

Years
They really left the old Pokemon Graphics formula in the dust with X&Y, and I think it's about time they did, given the Graphics power of the 3DS. Even if the Pokemon are weird, the incredible graphics will sell this game.

Looks like I have a reason to hold onto mine now. XD

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
Transition from 2D to 3D

Since Gen VI is going to be on the 3DS, obviously the perspective from in-game will longer be in a 2D view. How do you guys feel about this change in viewing perspective?

I think that a Pokemon game for the 3DS was overdue, but personally I still prefer the original top down, psuedo 3D view.

Also, I haven't seen this anywhere else, but if this has already been posted or being discussed somewhere else, feel free to close it.

Years
3D Opinions?

So, X and Y are set to be the first 3D Pokemon games. What do you think of this? What will it be like adapting to this sort of style? Do you prefer it in 3D by the looks? How do you think the game will be effected by the 3D aspect, if at all?

Discuss :3

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
i like the 3D style, it looks more rpg. i wish you could customize the trainer too now. i'm excited to see the attacks in 3D. it'll look more like pokemon battle revolution!

blue

gucci
Years
I'm really happy with what I've seen so far, I can imagine entering a city and being able to see the majority of it from the point where you are standing.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
The battle graphics are sexy, but I agree with this.

The OW graphics are...well quite ugly, to put it simply. They're jagged and uneven, and the world doesn't look as natural as it does in previous games. I think the detail of the graphics themselves has been swept aside and disregarded by the hype of having Pokemon move to 3D.

Speaking as someone who loves to sprite OWs I'm not fond of these. They're going to be really weird to fan-make. Not that Nintendo should care about that but ... Yeah.

kammond

Huh
Years
A bit sad about the departure from sprite artwork, but the 3D still looks quite nice.

I don't think I'll like the dynamic camera angles though... I hated Skyarrow Bridge. Castelia too

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I would much MUCH rather have good sprites than mediocre meshes.

I've never gotten the fascination with pseudo-3D in games. To me, so obviously that I really don't get how anyone can miss it, mediocre 3D meshes aren't appealing at all. With the right shading and enough layers, sprites can easily fool the eye into treating them as 3D objects. But poorly designed meshes can't even begin to do that - sure, they're rendered in three dimensions, but what they are, much MUCH more obviously than anything else, is poorly designed 3D meshes. They never make that jump over to fooling the eye, since they're so obviously primitive and artificial.

To me, it's like the difference between a painting of an apple and a baseball spray-painted red. Sure - the baseball is right there, rendered in three dimensions, but it STILL doesn't look like an apple - it just looks like a painfully bad copy. The painting might not actually BE an apple, but neither is the spray painted baseball, and at least the painting looks a helluva lot more like one.

edit to note that I already responded to the thread this one was merged into, but since it's a sort of addition to my previous post, I'm going to just leave it...

Leikaru

Back from the dead...
Years
The graphics are fairly good quality, but I can see why some people really dislike them. They will be polished, and look fabulous once the game is released. To be honest, a 3D world is good enough for me, no matter what the graphics look like.

Years
The one thing I've seen about the graphics in the little film on the Pokemon website that I really dislike is when a Pokemon appears...It just isn't right.

Also, the attacks will make battles longer, the zooming in and the duration of the attacks. It looks good but I prefer it zoomed out.

xWhyNotx

Scripting Master
Years
New overworlds

How do you guys feel about the taller overworld sprites? I'm just curious and think it's a good topic to discuss. c:

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
They have all of my hate as an OW spriter.

ZettaSlowbro

Veteran
Years
I don't get why people are calling this too much of a jump, there really isn't any middle ground to go to; It's either go 3D or no 3D really. I mean they could have had just had the battles be 3D, but honestly I think that would be a bad idea; it just wouldn't fit together.

Back