• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Opponents with Revives

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
In previous generations, we have seen opponents use a wide rage of items, whether it was a Full Restore, X Attack, Full Heal or whatever else. How would you feel if in X and Y some important opponents had a Revive in their arsenal of items? Which characters would have them? Would it have to be limited to a certain difficulty?

Discuss!

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
If they do, it'd be highly likely that they would be limited to at least one or two revives, otherwise battles would drag on forever what with the opponent AI repeatedly reviving their Pokemon.

^ That

And maybe it'll be limited to a Hard / Expert difficulty, should the game have one. Maybe it'll be limited to Gym Leaders / your rival / the E4 / The champion / cameo battles?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Anyone with Pokemon over a certain level (like say 60) would make sense given that the opponents are way stronger then and you need to take extra steps to beat them anyway. Maybe just one or two as mentioned would be appropriate, though. It might make battles a little too hard if there's more!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Veterans and Champions should be the only ones to have Revives, and even then, not many. Like 1 for Vets and 2 for Champs. And maybe only in Challenge Mode if that makes a return. I think the games can get difficult enough without other trainers reviving their party members, honestly.

ClumzyTrainR13

Storm Caster
Years
To be completely honest, I hope they don't do that. Yes, it creates some variation in trainer battling, but when I battle a trainer, I like to wipe them out and receive the EXP accordingly. It would suck if they would be able revive spam their strongest pokemon like I do myself (totally not hypocritical, by the way) :P .

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Challenge mode could give the AI ONE revive. Anymore than that just seems bad.

When an enemy revives a Pokemon, it should show that pokemon getting better. It would just be strange for the AI to use an Item on a pokemon you can't see, only then for it to be sent out again. "WTF, I beat that one already!"

Just for clarity's sake, they should show the pokemon getting the item. (when it is not you doing the item using!)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I wouldn't mind if it was one, plus on the bright side if they have say an Audino or a member of the Happiny line and revive it we can get even more Exp than usual (it'll be like battling two seperate Pokemon) ^_^.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I'd like it if they had one (or two tops) Revives as well. I think it'd make the game more challenging and realistic. I always thought it was unfair that we could use them and they never did. But I agree, it'd have to mention which Pokémon they healed.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I wouldn't mind if it was one, plus on the bright side if they have say an Audino or a member of the Happiny line and revive it we can get even more Exp than usual (it'll be like battling two seperate Pokemon) ^_^.

I don't think it'd count as more EXP tbh, given that it'd still be in the same battle and I'd see it as kind of like... just using Full Restore kind of. I think it'd make it too easy if you got double EXP if they revived a Pokemon given that I figure they won't have much to give left in them after fainting already? I mean it makes sense but logically idt you'd get it twice, the second time they might just skip it idk or make a clause that Audino or Chansey can't be revived from the dead although that'd seem overcomplicated. Maybe something along the lines of "_ gained no further EXP from defeating this Pokemon as it has defeated it before in the same battle, thus learnt nothing new" idk.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
simply, nah, it's already annoying enough when opponents use full restores, using revives would just make battles long and egregious.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I know it'd be pretty annoying, but I kind of wouldn't mind if this happened. I like the extra challenge it would bring. Like many have already said, however, it would probably be best if keep to a minimum of 1-2 Revives, otherwise the battle could get tedious. That being said, I would reserve it for characters such as the Champion, the final rival battle(s) [and rematches that follow], and one for each of the Elite 4 members. No one else really needs to have them.

And none for the evil organization's leader. They play dirty as it is. No need to help them in their crimes against the world.

As for the Exp. I don't see why we wouldn't get an extra dose of experience from the revived Pokémon; even just a little. For instance, having the total exp. points cut in half from the first time you defeated it. That could work. The way I see it, experience comes from every challenge you overcome. It doesn't matter if that's a Pokémon you already beat, because then why do we continue to get Exp. from the same Pokémon we knock out in the wild multiple times?

blue

gucci
Years
Yes please, make it so they have one super potion and one revive and then at later battles two hyper potions and two max revives. Surely this would make the battles a tad harder.

masaru3

Chespin, I choose you!
Years
Hahah, imagine almost winning the fight against the champion and then he max revives his strongest pokémon! Ah, don't forget you're on your last pokémon.
This would be a great time to use Embargo.

And of course, the items should be limited.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
For a long time, we have never seen opponents use revives in any Pokémon game, and if they were programmed to have a Revive to use... once they use it, it causes the Pokémon to lose half of their HP instead of reviving a Pokémon, where as in some games... it just didn't work at all.

Maybe we might see a change in this? It would be really cool to see opponents using Revives during battle, and maybe one of the Elite Four and the Champion could have a Max Revive to use, which then revives one of their fainted Pokémon and it surely would make the game even more challenging, especially for Normal mode (if there ever is going to be different difficulty levels). xD

And if there ever is going to be different difficulty levels in the game, maybe have the Easy mode so that no trainers have a Revive or Max Revive.

But of course, I'd like it if the trainers were still limited to only 4 items at a time.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
I would enjoy it if the Champions could use Revives. I've always missed how the AI isn't even programmed to use Revives (at least in the 3rd generation, from what I can tell, so I might be wrong) and if they were to change that, I would appreciate it.

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
I would think it was cool if the AI could use revives. I've always wondered about that. But I agree that it should be limited to E4, Champ, and maybe a few super-strong Red-esque characters. Imagine if every single little Youngster had the capability to revive...0_0

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
Ooh I would hate if an elite four kept spamming Revives or/and Max Revives. Full Restore was annoying enough!

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
I don't really want the battles to go on and on. I remember back in R/S, Steven use to take so long because he kept spamming Full Restores on his Claydol, if he revived that thing I would have been so annoyed. It's one thing when I use revives but I have to fight multiple trainers and I normally have less useable Pokemon since an HM slave or two is in my party.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
Trainers with Revives would be...great, I think.
They would be like other battle items now. Not everyone will have them--only when it makes sense would they be given a Revive.
I believe in Ruby/Sapphire there's a Rich boy fairly early on with only a weak Zigzagoon, and a Full Restore. Why is this fine? Because he's a Rich Boy. Adding Revives into the mix of what NPC Trainers can have will add to the challenge of battles, create more opportunities to gain EXP, and add even more "mini-narratives" for the player to enjoy. Imagine another Rich Boy saying "If I could purchase Max Revives, you'd have been toast!" Or an older woman in the Pokémon cemetery saying "I wish I could have used this Revive on my other Pokémon!!"

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Nah, I wouldn't want opponents with Revives because as it might be cool to earn a bit more EXP, they might use them on a strong 'mon I defeated, making the battle hard again, especially if the item was a Max Revive.

Back