• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

3rd Gen Hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?

Who is the hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?

• Roxanne

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Brawly

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • Wattson

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Flannery

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Norman

Votes: 53 18.5%
  • Winona

Votes: 22 7.7%
  • Tate & Liza

Votes: 129 45.1%
  • Wallace/Juan

Votes: 19 6.6%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
Tate & Liza were such a pain. Whenever I would fight them I would usually be under leveled or have nothing to counter their attacks. Whenever I beat them though I feel like a god.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2020
It's a tie between Brawly and Tate and Liza, albeit varying. Everytime I pick Mudkip as my starter, Brawly's Makuhita always beats the heck out of my Marshtomp. It spammed Bulk Up and Arm Thrust, and I can't line up a decent shot due to that raised defense.

And when I picked Torchic, I always had a tough time against Tate and Liza, due to the fact that I'm facing twins, with type advantages no less.

So in total,

Mudkip - Brawly
Torchic - Tate and Liza

TheLeetCasualGamer

Hi, I'm strange :3
Years
I hated Tate and Liza. I thought it was psychic, not spam the living hell out of Earthquake. Took me by surprise the first time but I still hate having no middle ground to it. You either completely destroy them, or you struggle through the odds.

Years
Dunno about you guys, but my worst nightmare was Tate/Liza! I had no problems with Norman's Slaking as long as I had a Fighting or Steel type, but I had A LOT of difficulty with Tate/Liza, especially because I tended to pick Torchic as my Starter Pokemon!

o Pikachu o

Pikachu
Years
I had the most trouble with Liza and Tate when i was younger because I always started off with Torchic and my team also sucked.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Wattson. That Magneton resists everything and it's just horrible to fight so early on in the game :x Especially with the amount of times it confuses, paralyses and sonic boom's you, it's a really hard Pokémon to fight. D: Although maybe I just don't train the right teams for it haha.

Resolution

We have a Badas* Over Here
Years
Tate and Liza were a nightmare. I thought it was a simple Psychic-Type team, not a Leaf-Blade spam Xatu team. I couldn't hit it either...I had to restart my game twice because of them.

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
Years
By far Winona. If you don't get yourself a Flygon that early on or get a good Ice/Rock type move (Which I never could,) that Altaria is hard to beat. I usually have Hariyama by the time Watson comes around, so that's never a problem. Liza and Tate aren't too bad if you have Sealeo/Walrein. Surf and Ice Beam on that thing has worked perfectly for me against them.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Wattson is the only one to give me any amount of trouble, unless I had chosen Mudkip. Magnetons typing and moveset/parahax make it quite annoying that early in the game.

Years
So I ALWAYS choose the fire starter so for me in Sapphire that's Torchic. I always catch a Wingull above Oldale Town so wipe the floor with Roxanne as Wingull knows water gun and my Torchic has evolved and learned double kick. My Combusken wipes out Brawly with Peck. An with it's ember I have no problem with Watson. With Flannery Pelliper comes to the rescue and then I destroy Norman with double kick. Winnona starts slowing me down and I have to plan but she has never beat me. The Twins are an issue but with a Baziken Pelliper combo I get through. Now Wallace kills me with whiscash's earthquake and Milotic's water pulse I die multiple times. I actually just defeated him on a my restarted Sapphire game with only my Blaziken and earthquake/double kick. Was level 60 at the time. I am a natural grinder and don't plan to do it and I think the level diffrence is what saved my arse this time. But hands down Wallace is one tough cookie.

Years
  • Seen Oct 14, 2012
I had trouble with Flannery, Tate/Liza and wallace would be a pain but that's really it tbh.

JackHack96

Intrepid Hacker
Years
Well, it depends on the starter you chose. If you chose Torchic, you'll have problems with more than one gym leader. I chose Mudkip the second time and it was very powerful: i had problems only with Tate/Liza.

Years
To this day, Brawly gives me trouble... The thing is that I ALWAYS pick Treecko... And no matter what level, his defenses are terrible and I can never beat Brawly first try. I was younger when I used Swellow/Taillow, but I was really bad; now I try to go with something different, so I usually don't have a Taillow, or any flying type for that matter.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Norman and his stratergies in Emerald... ( shudders ). Facade in my opinion, is purely evil! After whittling his Slaking to the last bit of HP, it facaded on my poor Swablu, OHKOing it. I'm agreeing with everyone else and saying his Slaking is one huge tank. Plus it has a Sitrus Berry, so after all of that hard work trying to KO it, it restores a quarter of its HP.

hils21

Spoiled Brat
Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2016
i prefer norman than the other gym leader, because his slaking is totally...totally...hmm...strong....lucky his last slaking always loafing around

picture.php

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
None of them... at all. Hoenn had the easiest gym leaders. @___@

I can't even go for who I had the slightest difficulty with like I would normally do in this situation because they were all so easy.

Back