• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen Tougher?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
It is definitely tougher, but the only thing I'm really frustrated about is that I keep losing to crits. :x DynamicPunches from Gurdurrs hit multiple times in a row, some pokemon can toxic + protect for several turns without fail, just crits in general are making the game pretty frustrating.

Also, has anyone else noticed that the trainers suddenly jump in levels? Like there will be Pokemon leveled mid-30s then all of a sudden they'll all become low 40s? Or the main storyline's last battle has Pokemon leveled 50, but then the Champion's are lv 61? I hate grinding

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I underestimated Cheren's last Pokemon using Work Up constantly. Took me about 5 tries (Was using a slightly underlevelled Riolu) but I finally did it. Looks like I'll be doing some more training. Which I have no problem with :)
Interesting, I easily murdered Cheren with Riolu + Counter. No trouble at all.

Years
You know what I am finding myself in the Pokemon centre more often. Normally I'm heaps over levelled by the 4th gym but I'm only 2 levels above.
It's refreshing, makes more interesting.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Nah, nothing too serious... I gotta try Challenge mode sometimes...
Heck, my Lucario (even as a Riolu) did not faint even once yet...
Maybe it's because I already beat the Japanese version so I knew what to expect but I don't think it's that difficult.
I did have a struggle against Clay in the Japanese version but I had no problems in the USA one.
I do love the increased AI (I believe GF also took some competitive strategies not only for PWT but also for normal NPCs) but I wouldn't mind increasing it further :D

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
Years
Oh...so it's not only me? I thought its due to my long absence from Pokemon that made me a bit "weaker". I find Gym Leaders and some trainers out-leveling me...something that NEVER happened to me in previous Pokemon games. I DO win, sometimes with struggle, but the fact the Gym Leaders are still out leveling me makes me uncomfortable with my progress :S .

In the end though, it's quite perfect, I LOVE it when things are slightly more challenging...really interesting. :D

blue

gucci
Years
Well, if people are having trouble with just normal mode (I assume) then I'm definitely going to have trouble playing in Challenge Mode, all the trainers Pokemon are at higher levels and I've lost to Cheren once or twice now. Regardless, I'm still loving the game.

Tranca

Monolith
Years
  • Seen Jan 7, 2013
The difficulty is raised from the first probably, but I still haven't encountered anything the starter, and event genesect/keldeo can't take on.

Years
Based on the videos I saw, yes Trainers really are tougher and more strategic in this game. When I watched the Marriland videos of B2/W2 he lost to Cheren on the first try in both the Japanese Black 2 and English White 2 videos.

Yeah, I admit you do find yourself underleveled against some Gym Leaders.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I found Cheren, Roxie and Burgh really easy. The first time things got a bit awkward was when I fought Elesa....but then my pokemon turned out to be severely under leveled. I managed to get through the fight, but it was tighter than previous battles.

In general the game is probably a little harder than before, it's not as easy to just storm through an area beating trainers. Usually I have to go heal around halfway.

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
Years
By level and i think at some points AI is yes more difficult, i have found the game much easier but that is only due to the availabilities of Pokemon from previous generations, I am not a Gen V hater I'm quite the opposite great games and great gyms but i just don't really like any of the Pokemon. So being able to go through the gen 5 game with older gen Pokemon is pretty good to me.

Years
Yes the game is tougher, but interesting enough is I defeated the gym leaders with under leveled pokemon up to the sixth badge, the first gym was the only easy one though for me. Had to rely on the two legendary pokemon that you are able to get before getting 7 badges just to defeat the 7th gym. Also Ghetsis is so annoying, the only trainer battle that had I had to take on twice.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Yes, more challenging, but it's still not tough outright without challenge mode being available from the start...

I underestimated Cheren's last Pokemon using Work Up constantly. Took me about 5 tries (Was using a slightly underlevelled Riolu) but I finally did it. Looks like I'll be doing some more training. Which I have no problem with :)
I caught on the first time his Patrat used it, and I happened to have a counter — Azurill's Charm can keep his buffs down.
Defensive advantages seem to work better against gym leaders.

Last edited:

dragonnathan025

Pokemon Breeder
Years
It seems like they try to stack the odds against you. What I mean is this...

It seems odds of me getting poisoned by any moves like Poison Sting are 3 in 4, whereas if I try to poison it's 1/16.

Odds of me being unable to move in paralysis are 1/2, while the odds of the opponent being paralyzed are 1/8.

Odds of Effect Spore/Poison Point are 9/10.

Odds of me hitting myself in confusion are 7/10, while the opponent is 1/20.

Tell me if anyone else has been having this luck, in absolutely all their games.

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
I do think it is a bit tougher. I actually underestimated the first gym and really had to plan out how to beat Cheren because I went in with a bunch of pokemon at lv 6,7, and 8 lol

Syltti

Lilligant's Loving Trainer
Years
It's tougher. Though, with that said, I never lost a battle. xD Not in any of the gyms, not to random Trainers, not to the Elite Four, or Iris, OR in White Treehollow.

I'm still shocked about WT, kinda expected to get facewrecked by Areas 8~10, but nope. (Yay for Froslass~)

The World Tournament post-story, though... That.. that's an entirely different story..

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I'm playing White 2 on Challenge Mode (got the key from a friend who already beat Black 2) and I honestly don't see much of a difference other than a couple of levels difference. Now the trainer's Pokemon are about equal with mine, but it's more incentive to train I guess.

I've only blacked out once since starting Challenge Mode, and I'm currently in Lacunosa, been doing Challenge since Skyla.

tldr, this game is definitely harder but I really like that.

Years
I must be in the minority that finds this a rather easy game, then. It was rough early on, but that was because I decided not to use my starter and was stuck with a Mareep, Azurill and Riolu until Castelia. I smashed Cheren's face in with a Lv. 10 Azurill spamming Charm and Frustration because all he did was Work Up until he was at neutral Attack. Roxie actually gave me a lot of problems, though, but the game got a lot easier and the grinding got less monotonous once you get the Lucky Egg. I haven't wiped once.

The PWT is the hardest thing ever and pretty much forces you to EV train though :/ I'm stuck on the World Leaders section because as soon as a Drayden or Clair are anywhere in my bracket it's endgame

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
my first time playing i did find it hard up tp about my 5 badge and then i just started breezing throught the rest once i got most of inteam team together

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
Tougher? Yes, yes it is. I beat Ghetsis by spamming Revives and items(I didn't use a single legendary too.) I am currently in the PokeCenter right before Victory Road, to afraid to enter. Every single Victory Road I've been in has been extremely hard for me...
(Diamond was impossibly hard, i took every wrong turn! Red I just chickened out and quit before I entered, because I was too scared. Ruby, I still can't believe I cleared it with hardly any trouble. White, I got my friend to clear it for me xD. White 2, I'm cowarding. I hope I don't befall teh same fate as my trainer did in Red...)

Back