• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How Arabs killed Pokemon, the ironic reality

Toutebelle

Banned
Years
Actually, Pokemon is popular in a number of Muslim countries. It's somewhat popular in Indonesia (nearly 90% Muslim), since I've found quite a few fics in Indonesian. It also seems to have fans in Malaysia and Brunei. However, Indonesia isn't very conservative for the most part. A lot of Indonesian women don't cover their heads and lots of people eat things that are forbidden by the Quran (such as bats). (Believe it or not, most Muslims are not Arabs. Only about 20 percent are.)

I think with Egypt, there's been a trend towards Islamization in the past few years. Years ago, Egyptian Muslim women wore regular bathing suits on the beach and no one complained. Now that isn't the case. It's sad. Egypt also has a large Christian population, and believe me: Arab Christians tend to be very conservative too.

Needless to say, people thinking Pokemon is childish is not a uniquely Middle Eastern problem. Many Americans and Europeans regard the games as childish too. Almost none of my friends are into Pokemon. I think it has to do with 4Kids' handling of the anime, and non-fans associate Pokemon with the anime.

Nintendo may be at fault too. They might be assuming that Middle Easterners aren't gamers. I feel they do the same for Latin Americans. It could be since people there tend to be poorer than people in the US and Europe.

tnfsf11

lots of people eat things that are forbidden by the Quran (such as bats). (Believe it or not, most Muslims are not Arabs. Only about 20 percent are.)
1. Bats are not forbidden, only pigs.
2. I'm aware that Arabs are not all the Muslims in the world, also Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei are not Arab, read the title.

I think with Egypt, there's been a trend towards Islamization in the past few years.
True, unfortunately. :\

Nintendo may be at fault too. They might be assuming that Middle Easterners aren't gamers.
No, Pokemon was extremely popular before it disappeared. I mean, they made collectible discs in potato-chips bags for us Arabs, I guess that shows how much we are important to them as buyers.

Last edited:
Back