• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

3rd Gen What did you think of the I Gen remakes?

Years
I enjoyed them, but I don't think they added enough to the material, other than the Sevii Islands. I played LeafGreen, and I felt like I was playing the EXACT same game, with updated mechanics and remastered graphics. They also didn't add enough additional legendaries, with the only ones being The Dog Trio of Johto. They could have at least added a big island reminiscent of Mt. Silver, with a massive legendary Pokemon, probably Ho-Oh and Lugia, for FireRed and LeafGreen, respectively.

Speaking of those rascals, you could never complete your Pokedex unless you went to a wretched event where you could DOWNLOAD the on your game. DOWNLOAD. This necessarily means that unless you went to one of those damned events, or you cheated (which is never condoned by Nintendo), you had absolutely no hope in completing your Pokedex. A minor personal complaint is the lack of animated sprites in these and RS. Crystal had this all set up, but they took until Emerald to redo this.

I'm not all complaints, though. It was great to replay the games that kept me captivated as a child, and I somewhat liked the new key items, like the Fame Checker, which I could never complete, but oh, well. The addition of abilities was a blessing and a curse for certain Pokemon, like Koffing, which could now evade Ground moves. The music was not stellar, but it was pretty acceptable.

Overall, I enjoyed this game, but I feel that it could have been reinforced more by Gamefreak.

Yiazmat

going ham since 93'
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 6, 2013
They were good, but are now hard to enjoy because of HGSS being better. :(

Years
I thought that FireRed and LeafGreen were really well done, staying true to the originals, yet adding new things like the Sevii Islands. Like a few others have said, though, there isn't very much to do once you've completed the story, which was a problem that Ruby and Sapphire had as well (Emerald added the Battle Frontier).

Overall, they aren't quite as good as HG/SS, but for the lesser technology at the time, they did a pretty good job.

Tackle

Pancham
Years
I think it isn't needed, Fire Red and Leaf Green are remakes already. They won't make 3rd remake of Kanto, I think. Plus, in HGSS there's Kanto.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
I thoroughly enjoyed FRLG but like everyone else said there could have been a lot more stuff done to it, like animated sprites for the Pokemon and updated the Kanto region with things in RS like different types of weather but overall it was enjoyable.

Sorbet

sυᴘᴇʀɪᴏʀвᴇт
Years
They were really good games at the time. For me there was enough to do after the Elite 4, like exploring all the Sevii Islands, which were a great addition to the game.

I find it hard to enjoy the games now though, it's just very dated and we have also have Kanto in HG/SS. The only reason to play them now are because of the Sevii Islands and just nostalgia.

JokerBen

Director of Pokémon Nobelium
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 29, 2023
I wish they would have waited for a while and remake it on DS

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
I think they were very well done, but could have added in Ho-Oh and Lugia for a different version each. They're not needed to complete the Dex but if you're a perfectionist like me they are.

Last edited:

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
It's a thing that I actually really dislike. A literal copy of the first games. They should have taken a bit liberty in some parts, like allowing trade with Hoenn from the beginning, or at least when you reach Bill. Having to play the whole game without any Johto or Hoenn Pokemon was boring. I have RedBlueYellow for that. HGSS handled this issue way better. In FRLG you can't even evolve Pokemon who's evolution wasn't in the original games. I had to carry Golbat until Elite Four which it trying to evolve after each level, only to say it stopped.

Basically it's the same thing all over again and it was extremely boring. I'd rather replay my RBY games than play FRLG. Thankfully they learned their lesson in HGSS.

EDIT: Now that I've beaten the E4 and went to Sevii Island, I have to say that the islands are quite boring. It's just visiting some random locations with the same encounters. I hoped for some new Pokemon, and not Pidgey/Meowth/Spearow combination on ALL seven. This is easily my least favorite game in the series. I'll play it just for the sake of Pokedex and trade with RSE.

Last edited:

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I actually had a lot of fun with FR/LF. I loved the fact i could replay the classic games with improved graphics and gameplay. And i thought the addition of the islands was pretty cool. AND the fact you could have wireless battle with that thingy that came with the games :D

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I love FRLG. They stand out among the others to me, but seem pretty underrated. The only part I disliked was how hard they made it to connect to the other games in Gen III, what with getting the Ruby and Sapphire for that guy in Sevii Islands.

B-L-A-Z-E

リズ
Years
While they are my least favorite main series games, I still think they are ok. They're not games I would want to play over and over again but they can be fun every once in a while.

Munchlax11

Munch?
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 15, 2014
I really liked FRLG... but I liked RSE a lot better, I feel like that FRLG are a step back from RSE.

Guy

just a guy
Years
At the time, they were good for what they were. They certainly learned a thing or two by the time HG/SS came around though. Compared to RSE, however, FRLG did lack a few things that could have made it better: lack of weather effect, no new Pokémon included during the main play-through, and very little graphic improvement are some that come to mind.

I never got to play the original Red or Blue versions ─ Ruby was the first Pokémon game I ever got ─ so I couldn't compare the original with the remakes. I do know that the remakes were very much like a carbon copy of the originals though. Not much was changed to make the game play feel somewhat new or refreshing other than what they added post-game. This is something they learned from when making HG/SS I thought.

Overall, like I said, they were good for what they were at the time. I certainly had my share of fun playing them.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I thought that FRLG were flawed masterpieces. They certainly do a great job of recreating the region and presenting it in a way that feels very nostalgic. However, it does seem like they could have done more to bring it up to modern standards. I personally think that the absence of the ability to evolve national mons without the national dex was rather silly, but I am glad that it wasn't implemented in HGSS. It does seem like they could have done more to flesh out the story more, maybe explain more of why Giovanni is doing what he's doing, and even include more involvement in the story by Prof Oak. The strictness of which they adhered to the originals makes it feel even more aged than it is. But, even with all that strictness, they changed things in the game that made little sense to me. Primarily the Pokemon distribution throughout the region. Some of it makes sense, yes, but Things like Manky on Route 22 from Yellow are maintained, while Nidoran is removed from the very same route, despite being available on that route in all the gen 1 games! Overall, though, I do thoroughly enjoy my copy of LeafGreen, even if it does have its flaws.

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
I loved it. But I think they could have implemented a few things more that they had introduced in GSC and RSE, like berries and animated sprites. I understand they wished to keep it as authentic to the originals as possible, but I still think they could have at least had berry planting areas in the Sevii Islands and ways to make Pokeblocks and Contests. All in all, though, I think the game is excellent and I love that there were added second gen pokemon catchable. I just wish that there was a prize of a Johto starter once the Kanto dex was complete.

Back