• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Version Differences

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Aside from the obvious version exclusive Pokémon, what other version differences do you think will exist in X and Y? Will there be exclusive locations like the Unova games, or maybe whole new exclusive features? What existing Pokémon do you think will be made into version exclusives?

Discuss!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I hope there are some differing areas like B2W2 did. I hope not different features though, as it'd be weird to have one feature in X and a different one in Y...unless there's like a challenge mode and easy mode to unlock and share with other games, that'd be nice. If they're gonna have different features in the two, being able to link to the other game and share would be great.

diamondmutt1111

A wild summer appeared!
Years
I hope there are some differing areas like B2W2 did. I hope not different features though, as it'd be weird to have one feature in X and a different one in Y...unless there's like a challenge mode and easy mode to unlock and share with other games, that'd be nice. If they're gonna have different features in the two, being able to link to the other game and share would be great.

I agree, maybe areas like Xstatic Zone and Yacht Zone (like Black City and White Forest)...or something like that, something WAY more clever than what I just posted, lol

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
I just got on here and was shocked to hear there are new games coming out but have given myself a few minutes to think about it and hope to goodness these games are totally different then B / W and B / W2.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I hope there are some version exclusive areas again too. But it would be good for them to be interchangeable like they were in B2/W2. I think that some of the version exclusives from other games will be one again, such as Petilil and Cottonee.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I'm really hoping they won't have version exclusive areas, but considering the reception White Forest and Black City got, I'm sure they'll incorporate that into it. The most I'd prefer would be aesthetic changes to the design of various areas, like what we saw in White 2 and Black 2.

BLOOOD-La-ti-

This is the place to try!
Years
There will always be version exclusives,
And there's supposed to be a version exclusive area,
so far we only know that there are version exclusive pokemon.

Years
I'm really hoping they won't have version exclusive areas, but considering the reception White Forest and Black City got, I'm sure they'll incorporate that into it. The most I'd prefer would be aesthetic changes to the design of various areas, like what we saw in White 2 and Black 2.

Agreed. I wasn't very keen on the idea of 'missing' out on areas of a game, just because I bought one instead of the other. Aesthetic changes would be a nice way of separating the versions, which could be linked to the Legendary Pokemon that is on the selected game.​

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Hm... I'm probably thinking that there might be some towns or even areas that might be version exclusive. But then again... I'm also thinking of something else.

How about Pokémon X will be about going into the past and future versions of some towns? While Pokémon Y would be more about parallel worlds. I'm sure that would make it even more interesting. But then again... the legendary Pokémon have nothing to do with Time and Space (unlike Dialga and Palkia).

But as always, there's bound to be version exclusive Pokémon in the game. Who knows if we may see Patrat being exclusive to Pokémon Y?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I guess the way I see it, there can be some Exclusive areas, sort of like the Black Tower, the White Forest, the Black Skyscraper, and the White Treehollow, sort of battle-happy areas like those to gain points for prizes. It might be also cool if there were specific areas in each game to catch exclusive pokemon in each exclusive area; sort of like a haven in each. Of course there's exclusive pokemon, where... of course in each game there's an exclusive amount of pokemonn you can catch in each, what kinds of pokemon you can catch in each of them.

It might be cool if they had more exclusivity like say... exclusive in-game events, or perhaps extra events where you can do different stuff like... exclusive minigames, or the chance to win exclusive handy items for say, EV training or something. The villainous team would also be probably be exclusive; as in, dependent on which version you have, is the team that you fight against; sort of like, Team Aqua vs. Team Magma.

blue

gucci
Years
Similar to previous games possibly with Gym leaders i.e you battle a certain leader depending on which version you have i.e Drayden/Iris, I'd like to see that again.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I want more stuff like White Forest and Black City, however, I think there won't be a whole lot of exclusives, given that Unova was all about opposites, ying/yang, whereas these games are about oipposites, sure, it's less about the ying to your yang, and more the opposite of what we've become/who we are.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I'd like to see aesthetic changes relevant to the legendary mascot just like in Unova. If there's too many changes between games people complain because they would have to buy both, but personally I would love some slight change in story and location. I can see that it would be unfair for some people though.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I had a thought; This might sound weird, but, say X&Y has to do with chromosomes. What if version exclusives with X&Y has to do with gender differences? Like, okay, an XX chromosome would generally side with females, and an XY chromosome would generally side with males. What if the version exclusives were like that?

For instance, what if in Pokemon X, the rival would be a female, and in Pokemon Y, the rival would be male? Or, what if certain gym leaders were male, and the others female? Or, what if in one game, your parent is a father, and in the other, your parent is a mother?

Just a thought!

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
Aside from the obvious version exclusive Pokémon, what other version differences do you think will exist in X and Y? Will there be exclusive locations like the Unova games, or maybe whole new exclusive features? What existing Pokémon do you think will be made into version exclusives?

Discuss!

I hope B2/W2 have set the trend for version differences. Differences in locales, Pokemon, events, etc... I also loved Ruby & Sapphire's plot differences.

Give us a real reason to play through both games.

Years
I had a thought; This might sound weird, but, say X&Y has to do with chromosomes. What if version exclusives with X&Y has to do with gender differences? Like, okay, an XX chromosome would generally side with females, and an XY chromosome would generally side with males. What if the version exclusives were like that?

For instance, what if in Pokemon X, the rival would be a female, and in Pokemon Y, the rival would be male? Or, what if certain gym leaders were male, and the others female? Or, what if in one game, your parent is a father, and in the other, your parent is a mother?

Just a thought!
I like the idea of having different characters in the same roles for both games. I don't think it necessarily means that you'd need to have to have different genders, but certainly it's something new they could do that would fit into the themes we think the games are going to have.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Pokemon X
Player's mom is present but the dad is absent.
Rival is a girl
A town that worships/protect the forest of Xerneas
(If there's 2 sets of trios) One trio exclusive to this version
You ride with roller blades

Pokemon Y
Player's dad is present but the mom is absent
Rival is a boy
A town that worships/protect the shrine of Yveltal
(If there's 2 sets of trios) One trio exclusive to this version
You ride with a skateboard

That's what I would like to be version exclusive. It's my wishlist even tho some of them probably wouldn't happen x)

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I noticed some people were saying how everything in the trailer seemed France-related until the more desert-like area, so perhaps (and this is a stretch, I know, but still my two cents) there are two regions in-game, and in X you start at region A and go to region B post-game, and in Y it is reversed. Again, it's a big stretch but an interesting concept nonetheless, as it would allow for enough of a version difference to be impactful but it wouldn't make one player feel as though they are missing out on something from the other version.

Back