• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Log-in UserName And Forum UserName

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Elow... G'day to everyone here in PC. :)
Anyways, I just wanna share an idea I just had while troubling myself with my programming project... :P
So here it is...

Basically, my idea is about, having a log-in username and a forum username. what's the difference?
For example, I open my web browser, and went here to PC. Then, for me to post, I have to log myself in, so then... I type my 'log-in username' as destinedjagold, and then, after I am logged in, my 'forum name' is Jagold... So, other members can see our names with our Forum names...

My idea is for those who doesn't want to type their pretty difficult usernames while logging in.
In the name change thread, we could just simply ask mods/staff (with the same rule applied) to change our usernames, or 'forum usernames' to be specific...

So basically that's it.
What do you think?

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years
We.. don't have to type our usernames. There's a remember me box. :[ Unless I'm not correctlly understanding the suggestion.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
We.. don't have to type our usernames. There's a remember me box. :[ Unless I'm not correctlly understanding the suggestion.

oh yeah...
I forgot about that little box thingy... :P

If we were to separate the two, we'd make it so you log in using your email address instead of having a totally separate "name" to use.

Regardless I don't think it's strictly needed, but I wouldn't be opposed to the idea if others like it.

I think typing our email ad is nice as well, but it's a hustle to some members, the way I see it.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years
If we were to separate the two, we'd make it so you log in using your email address instead of having a totally separate "name" to use.

Regardless I don't think it's strictly needed, but I wouldn't be opposed to the idea if others like it.

But what if people had e-mail addresses like lolsuphomie44663whatsbeenhappenin6839?

Years
But what if people had e-mail addresses like lolsuphomie44663whatsbeenhappenin6839?
Then it's their fault.

I'm actually pretty keen on the email address idea. It would make things easier for users with ASCII symbols in their name and just gives an alternative way to log in as a backup.

Of course, I've never had trouble with my username, with its 6 standard letters, but I can see how it would work.

Maybe a way of selecting the login method would be best?

Cello

Tonight!
Years
A lot of things are starting to use this across the internet these days, but mostly online games.
I could see it causing issues through forums, unfortunately. :(

This would require you to fill out two separate name fields during user registration; one for the log in user name and the other field for the user specific display name.
If the forum asks you to make your own log-in user name, this would require that you would come up with something that already hasn't been taken in addition to the displayed user name; so now you have to spend time on creating two unique names. I imagine most people would try to keep it short to shorten log-in time and make it easy to remember.
However, if the forum asked you to use your email instead, you wouldn't have to worry about the log-in user name being taken since it allows only a single use email address. This would make it a bit longer to type in when you go to log-in, though. D:

It's pretty common to see the option to freely change it in the user's control panel across forums added in addition with this feature too. It could lighten up the Admin's name changing work, but altogether become confusing and have to be limited so people don't abuse it.

To top it all off; what would all of the current users do it a change like this was made?

It's a fun idea but eh..

Years
To top it all off; what would all of the current users do it a change like this was made?

It's a fun idea but eh..
Audy said before, it would only be via email addresses, which you already need to have to get your account registered in the first place.

We could be really eccentric and use our member numbers. :D

For example, I would be 36854.

That's just a joke, by the way.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years
Then it's their fault.

I'm actually pretty keen on the email address idea. It would make things easier for users with ASCII symbols in their name and just gives an alternative way to log in as a backup.

Of course, I've never had trouble with my username, with its 6 standard letters, but I can see how it would work.

Maybe a way of selecting the login method would be best?

Well if people have different characters in their name, guess what? That's their fault. They were the ones that requested that name in the first place and like I said earlier, there's a remember me box.

Vigilante

Ringleader of Hell
Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2009
Well if people have different characters in their name, guess what? That's their fault. They were the ones that requested that name in the first place and like I said earlier, there's a remember me box.
What if they share a computer and don't want people going on their name? They can't check the remember me box.

I like the idea, but at the same time am opposed to it. Many people have easier to type names then their emails, but its their fault really for putting all the special characters that make it a pain to log-in.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
Like Audy said, if something like this does happen, it'll most likely be email address and not a separate login name.

I'm not completely opposed to the idea, seeing as it will make it simpler for several users to log in, but generally speaking, an email address is longer than a standard PC username. It's no problem when I'm using my computer since it's cached, but using a computer at my school library or something will be annoying. XD

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
The way I see it, if you want to have less hassle every time you log in, just use a shorter username or one with no special characters... v_v;

Years
I think we should allow users to login from both their email, and their username.

Not something thats hard to impliment, and the statements against them are quite childish :/ "Its their fault" ... May as well stop name changing completely then because new users never have special characters in their username because they dont know that its available.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
I kind of get what you're saying. Basically what they use on YouTube, right?

Username and Password.

After you're logged in, use your options settings to type the name you want to shown around the forum?

Back