• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Bring back the Scrapbox!

The Sceptile King

Just came back from a break!
Years
Hey, all,

I was thinking that ROM hacking is really the thing that attracts the most users out of PC, right?
Remember back a few years ago when we had the Scrapbox? I know it didn't go so well, but maybe we could give this forum another chance, I'm sure that I'm not the only one for this idea! So, what do you guys think?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
I'm pretty sure it's gone because the users were no longer using it for the intended purposes, and it was no longer wanting to be tended to. There is an archive of it, but I don't see it coming back.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Spam. Spam. Spam. So much spam. It was terrifying. For each member with an acceptable idea there were 20 with random spam, pointless ideas or "Look I edited the text lols now the main character is ASS lmao" kind of threads :( We salvaged the storyline ideas and moved the good hacks into Progressing Hacks. I don't think bringing it back would help activity... or rather, positive activity.

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
We already did! Warnings and infractions for spamming for the worst offenders, you can bet. But most of the threads were harmless spam, or just showing ignorance rather than malice, and we just closed/deleted them. If we had infracted all of them, we would have racked up thousands of red cards, and we aren't just that strict D: The Rom Hacking mods were swamped some days, and I helped them more than once.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I forget. What exactly was the scrapbox?

I'll say "you don't want to know" and leave it at that. :P

Really though, I'm quite glad it's gone. It was a really really spammy forum.
f076e.gif

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
The scrapbox for ROM hacking was used for random idea's people have for ROM hacks.
It was closed down because a Moderator felt it wasn't being used as they wanted.

I don't think it'll come back.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
What good would it bring?
None... We have team section for ideas and progressing hacks for the hacks that actually have some potential to release at least a beta.
Scrapbox would just become a new spammy forum with newbies trying to get attention with their AWESOME ideas...

Years
I've heard of this Scrapbox thing somewhere... but given I don't frequent the ROM Hacking boards I would be heavily against bringing it back because of reasons stated above. Spam pits are just not tolerable and it would be demised very quickly.

The reason it was closed was because the users posting there weren't using it correctly, and we currently have sections in Emulation that defeat the purpose of the Scrapbox.

Years
^ No we don't, we have one thread, which very few more experienced users even go to (not saying I'm not guilty), which I'm guessing could make some beginners feel disheartened if no-one even sees their ideas.

I think if we put more emphasis on supporting other people's ROM Hacks, maybe rewarding emblems for good reviews of hacks or something, then maybe the community will be made a tad more supportive? Idk.

Of course, the main issue with the Emulation forum is the fact that the Hacks Showcase is separate from the rest of the forum so you have to go back to Emulation. Why are ROM Hacks not in the ROM Hacking section? I seriously don't get why this has been like it has for so long.

It could really just be:

Emulation
ROM Hacking​
Hacks Showcase​
Progressing Hacks​
Sideshow Showcase​
Tutorials​
Research & Development​
Team Discussions​

And even then, I think ROM Hacking and Emulation don't really get enough threads alone, so even this could work:
ROM Hacking & Emulation
Hacks Showcase​
Progressing Hacks​
Sideshow Showcase​
Tutorials​
Research & Development​
Team Discussions​

Last edited:

waterworks

Previously Fireworks
Years
Iirc there was a "Beginner's Showcase" section introduced, which was basically Crapbox 2.0. As you can see, it is no longer around, due to the same reasons as the Crapbox was removed originally. The fact there is no Crapbox any more gives people an incentive to try harder with their hacks, so they can get it into Progressing Hacks. Which, imo, other than a few stars, is starting to turn into a Scrapbox itself :\

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Spherical Ice has hit the nail on the head with the biggest problem about the ROM Hacking section.

The scrapbox would be pointless, most threads in the progressing hacks die anyway - and that's with requirements and being approved by moderators. It would just fuel more mindless posting and less actually being followed through (at the expense of the moderators).

Back