• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash's Age/Coma Theory

Years
  • Seen Sep 28, 2013
They finally showed the episode where Charizard returns here in America today and during the episode they showed many flashbacks of when he had Charmander threw Charmeoleon and Charizard. What i don't get is HOW ASH CAN STILL BE ****ING 10 YEARS OLD. When during those flashbacks they did tell us that he aged twice. And then after his 8th Gym battle in the Johto League(which they flash backed to) they said it toke something like 3 months before the Silver Conference began. I figure Ash should be somewhere around my age which is 21. The only way i will accept that Ash is 10 years old is

• Ash is indeed in a Coma
  • The Unova Region is in a Alternate Reality.

The reason why i think he could be in a Alternate Reality is because:
  1. Zangoose and Seviper were't showen Fighting each other when they were shown to be mortal enemies.
  2. Ash tried to Capture a Pokemon without weakening it first, when he first came to the Unova
  3. Pikachu lost to a Level 5 Snivy when he was shown to be able to defeat Legendary Pokemon and then somehow manages to defeat Snivys final form in the Unova league.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Not entirely sure what was said in the dub, but it's been established in both Japanese and English that he was still ten at the beginning of Unova. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Word Of God has stated that he began his Pokémon journey at the age of 10 years and 10 months. So apparently, everything up until Unova has taken place in less than two months. We can not be in an alternate reality, because the mementos in Ash's room at the beginning of the Unova saga are from throughout his travels.

And I'm just not fond of the Ash coma theory. I'd prefer they just retcon those 4 seconds of dialogue in Unova episode 1 and have his age be ambiguous again rather than have it be a big frickin deal.

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
whatever the creators say i dont believe, i like to think that ash is 12 now because 2 years is more realistic for how much time has passed than two months. one must understand each season doesnt necesarrily equal a year as well. either way, the hard reset on ash's abilities and age at the beginning of BW wasn't a smart move and everyone knows it, but there isnt anything we can really do about it eh?

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
There's an alternate theory to the whole Ash being 10 year old thing, because unless they just stop counting their age past 10, at least a year or 2 should've passed by now. One year can at least be confirmed, since in the Pikachu short for the third movie, Ash celebrated his 1 year anniversary of being friends with Pikachu.

Now, this other theory is regarding Ho-oh from the very first episode of the anime, where Ash wishes that he'd have a journey that'd last forever, just as Ho-oh flew by. Ho-oh's Pokedex entry in DPPt says the following: "It possesses seven-colored wings. It is said that those who see Ho-Oh are promised an eternal happiness." Some believe that Ho-oh may have granted his wish to give him the promised "eternal happiness", which imo, is a bit more believable than the coma theory, since it's mostly canon :p

So yeah, a good reason to why Ash is still 10 years despite over a year passing, however it doesn't really explain why other people still say that he's 10, since they wouldn't know that, unless Ho-oh actually implemented it into the minds of everyone.

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
Ash has to be at least 11 even though, they don't say it. Although if the cover of may's coro is based on the x and y anime's ash, then he looks a bit older then. They may finally have seen their mistakes.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
As far as I recall, Ash's age/birthday was only ever mentioned in the dub besides episode one of Kanto and Unova, where he was confirmed as 10. I'm hoping they go back to pretending it's ambiguous though and ageing him up a bit in XY.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
In the original season, they counted days/months in almost everyday and 2 months had passed before he had even gotten his 3rd Gym Badge in Kanto.

Also, if I am no mistaken, in one of the Pikachu Shorts. Ash tells Pikachu it has been a year since he had started his journey with him. I think this was the 4th movie. But in the Dub, at the start of Unova, it does say he is 10 still. So I don't know exactly what their logic is.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
I saw something somewhere that explained:
Ash saw Ho-Oh at the very beginning of the show(ep. 1). And a pokeDex entry says that whoever sees Ho-Oh is given eternal happiness. So, for Ash, eternal happiness is to stay 10 and always be on a pokemon journey.

Years
Guys just leave the topic of Ash's age.... If the franchise think they are right in taking Ash's age still at 10 then it is alright. No problem there. We can just hope that theory of them changes when he will travel in Kalos Region

bulbasir

Just call me Mr. Sir...
Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2013
Ho-oh theory is interesting, I doubt the creators actually did that on purpose though.

Guest123_x1

The main reason they keep Ash at 10 years old is so the show can be targeted towards children, without newer viewers being 'alienated' if Ash had actually aged several years as the show progressed (if that were so, he'd be in his 20s by now). Besides, characters in most animated shows normally don't age anyway.

It's for much the same reason as Arthur Read always being in 3rd Grade at Lakewood Elementary (and Pepper Ann Pearson always being in 7th Grade at Hazelnut Middle School for her eponymous show's entire run.)

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
The main reason Ash is still 10 is because it wouldn't look neat for the protagonist to grow up in a long running franchise. Same applies for other Non-Pokemon animes in which the heroes don't age up or become old. Besides, you wouldn't like it if Ash grows up, I'm telling you. It won't feel right.

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Yep, that's me
Years
How is Ash still ten:

1. The writers don't want Ash to grow up as that will make the story go *KAPUT*

2.It goes to show you that 10yo's are able to be great Pokemon Trainers.

3. That's how the Anime goes...

Years
It's just the way it is. If there was aging, we would have had to say goodbye to Ash as the character development would run the show over. Likewise, characters on The Simpsons haven't aged and there hasn't been any major character development in both, in that time is nonexistent and aging is a myth...

Back