• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Oct 29, 2013
Hello, I don't know many things about ROM hacking (I just started).

In my hack, I will try to edit the Battle Factory on Soul Silver. Can someone help me by telling me how to find the:

a) list of pokemon possible there, so I can edit them
b) list of trainers possible there, so i can edit them

Thanks in advance!

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Froze the moment I stepped on it. Of course, if I bothered to actually pay attention when reading the tutorial, I might not have problems like this...

Anyways, I just had to change the var number to 4050 for it to not freeze.

I wrote a tutorial on this specifically. It is called "Flags, Vars, and Script Tiles". Even if you have read it, read it again.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 8, 2015
Does anyone know how to point to a custom item script in GSC? If there's an actual pointer, it would help. I did see an ASM pointer in an item editor I was using, but I want to change it to use a new address. The pointer is only 2 bytes from what I saw.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Does anyone know how to point to a custom item script in GSC? If there's an actual pointer, it would help. I did see an ASM pointer in an item editor I was using, but I want to change it to use a new address. The pointer is only 2 bytes from what I saw.
You could always try to locate the routine that uses the items and either transfer all the item code & data to a new rom bank (I did a similar thing with my own hack - I transfered the whole code related to trainers and their pokemon data into a different rom bank), or just try to modify the routine so that a new rom bank would be determined for the item data (more complicated way probably).

If you want to go for the first option, try to trace back the code with BGB's debugger, or just by using Gameboy Asssembly Editor. Though I'm not entirely sure what you asked here, but if you really want to make room for items' scripts, moving the whole data to a different part of the rom is not such a bad idea.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
In Advance Map there is a wild pokemon option for grass, water, fishing, and trees.

Is it possible for a hacker to use the "tree data" to create a second tile of grass with different pokemon in it than normal grass, like how dark grass was different from regular grass?

Charles Dupiau

ROM HACKER
Years
Whenever I try to load the Viridian City map on advance map it either freezes or gives me loads of error messages all at once and forces me to quit the program. Does anyone know why it happens?

karatekid552

Years
In Advance Map there is a wild pokemon option for grass, water, fishing, and trees.

Is it possible for a hacker to use the "tree data" to create a second tile of grass with different pokemon in it than normal grass, like how dark grass was different from regular grass?

If I remember right, the Tree data is mislabeled and is really for Rock-Smash rocks. Anything is possible, but what you are asking is to write a new behavior byte for your new title that creates a random battle. This us very possible, and can be done easily with JPAN's engine, in which you could script it.

Whenever I try to load the Viridian City map on advance map it either freezes or gives me loads of error messages all at once and forces me to quit the program. Does anyone know why it happens?

If this is for just this one map, well first: does it play in game? Most likely, you corrupted it. A-map tends to have more of a tolerance for corruption, as maps that won't load in game will still load in A-map. However, if it is really bad, then A-map won't load it at all.

Last edited:

Eren Jaeger

Pianoist
Years
I got a problem. A real bad one.
When we started from a "Clean Rom" to another and started scripting and mapping.
Just today, after I finished off mapping. I restarted my rom and tested the events from the start.
But when I tried to go outside my starting map it hangs, I keep doing it and still hangs. When I checked the a-map and went to the starting map, It says "Invalid map footer" also my A-map is set to the latest version, am I doing something wrong? Me and my girl---friend just mapped seven maps and changed almost everything of the appearance and it looks original. This happened to me before, my hack's progress is good, so I'll appreciate a explanation and prevention or even a cure (lol) so yeah, help?

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
I got a problem. A real bad one.
When we started from a "Clean Rom" to another and started scripting and mapping.
Just today, after I finished off mapping. I restarted my rom and tested the events from the start.
But when I tried to go outside my starting map it hangs, I keep doing it and still hangs. When I checked the a-map and went to the starting map, It says "Invalid map footer" also my A-map is set to the latest version, am I doing something wrong? Me and my girl---friend just mapped seven maps and changed almost everything of the appearance and it looks original. This happened to me before, my hack's progress is good, so I'll appreciate a explanation and prevention or even a cure (lol) so yeah, help?

I'll get to it before gogojjtech and karatekid22 so they don't beat you over the head with it since they have repeated it many times by now. Advancemap 1.95 is still called a Beta for a reason, it's very buggy and occasionally messes up maps and corrupts data.

I'm not too sure about Advancemap fixes, but you can try to open up Advancemap 1.92 and port over the same map over the corrupted data via the "Insert Map" thing at the top. Of course if Advancemap 1.95 won't let you see the map, you'd have to recreate the map unless you saved an earlier stage of it.

karatekid552

Years
I'll get to it before gogojjtech and karatekid22 so they don't beat you over the head with it since they have repeated it many times by now. Advancemap 1.95 is still called a Beta for a reason, it's very buggy and occasionally messes up maps and corrupts data.

I'm not too sure about Advancemap fixes, but you can try to open up Advancemap 1.92 and port over the same map over the corrupted data via the "Insert Map" thing at the top. Of course if Advancemap 1.95 won't let you see the map, you'd have to recreate the map unless you saved an earlier stage of it.

But... He never said he was using 1.95....

However, if he was, I wouldn't be surprised by the results.

Years
  • Seen Nov 3, 2019
Hello everyone, I has a problem need to ask... After I assemble my .s file to my rom, and I started play my rom, the in game song that I assemble voice was loudly than other original song voice... How can I fix it? Thanks :)

PS: Sorry for my bad english... :(

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 12, 2018
Is there currently a way to edit moves in pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver?
PPRE is very bugged in this regard, so it won't work, and I've searched a lot for this, but no results.

And does anyone know the offset to edit type effectiveness in Heart Gold and Soul Silver?
I found this thread:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=83674

But it only supports up to Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, so if anyone knows the offset for HG/SS, I can do the rest myself (doubt there's an editor for this, but I know my way around a hex editor).

EDIT:

seems like I've found the place, but it's kinda a jumbled mess... not everything seems to align properly, still trying to figure out;
http://gyazo.com/af33d5d469ec90f9c129ba75d6e24ada
Guess I'll just share this in the meantime until I can figure it out, or until I become stuck and need help.

EDIT:
okay, so it doesn't list neutral damage outputs, in which case I will need to let it point to some free space where i can add more of these. I've tried to figure out how to repoint this, but I don't seem to get it, so can anyone help me with this please?

Last edited:

Eren Jaeger

Pianoist
Years
Well, he said he was using the latest version and I assumed that meant 1.95. :/

Yes, I am using the latest version.

Hello everyone, I has a problem need to ask... After I assemble my .s file to my rom, and I started play my rom, the in game song that I assemble voice was loudly than other original song voice... How can I fix it? Thanks
1.%20smile.gif

PS: Sorry for my bad english...
3.%20frown.gif

About that, you should read gogojtech's tutorial http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=301027

karatekid552

Years
Yes, I am using the latest version.

Okay, then I will give you my speech:

LATEST VERSION != STABLE VERSION

1.95 is an unfinished, open beta. It has bugs. It has issues. It says that right on the download page.

1.92 is a stable version with only one or two bugs that never cause too many issues. It also can do almost everything 1.95 can. 1.95 has only 3 new features: tileset adding (which can be done by hand), bucket fill (which, if you are using, your maps will be boring), and a "replace all of same type" bucket fill (only useful feature). Just use 1.92.

ep!c

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2015
I will tell you why 1.92 sucks sometimes:

>saving tilesets as independend bitmap (.dib), sucks to open with paint.
>palettes are not RGB but RBG which can **** up tileset-porting.
>levelscripts on more than one map can bug by having same variable and script-offset.
>No "Fill" or "Magic wand" function

I suggest you to use the different versions, depending on what you want to do.

Sliter

Gaijin Trainer
Years
I'm a bit lost on my Patinum translation/minor hacking , someone could help me please?
For the charcater names I find some on the text file I got with TheNewPokeText (Pl_msg.narc) and I think isn't all there, Like for Cynthia and Cyrus to show in battle as example, the sabe with some trainer classes, I found a few but not all of them are there, maybe they are on another file, not on the Pl_msg.narc?(And about the msg.narc that are text from D/P, the platinum make any use of this file or is just a leftover?)

Another idea is for an extra on the translation, but could be usefull for someone that want to play the platinum nowadays: I want to hide some of the event key itens, for the darkrai event, shaymin event and and stufs, as example, I want to hide the Oak's letter on a corner in the Rowan's laboratory, if the player go and press A, will find the item there, just a example of what I want to do, locating it as a common item in a pokeball too

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 7, 2013
Hi, how do you play pokemon hacks? How do you save on them and get them? I know nothing about them and really want to play them, can you please help me? I will be so happy if you do! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back