• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does anyone else want Ash gone and the show to use different protagonist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitsune Genetica

Tea and crumpets!
Years
IMO, Ash's character growth is terrible. I know this is fiction, but there are times where Ash acts like a complete idiot over things he's seen at least two times before.
I agree with whoever said Pokemon Special should have been the anime.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I like the anime the way it is, yes the thing that annoys me the most about Ash is him not aging but I believe their reason for that is because to appeal to the younger audience that is around his age. It would be completely uncomfortable for me if they were to replace Ashy boy with another protagonist which there is a possibility for the new protagonist can be extremely annoying.

:t354:TG

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
MangapwnsAnime.png

How it should've been SO long ago.

I will cherish the nostalgic memories from the Kanto, Jhoto and Heonn anime, but it became sort of crappy by the time we got to Sinnoh (I'm still a fan of Dawn :3) Best Wishes was better than D&P but still boring.

The Special, on the other hand, could actually get some ratings.

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
Barry is so annoying, I don't think Paul would put up with him very long. He can hardly stand to be around Ash. Barry would most likely end up a squishy puddle under Ursaring's Hammer arm.

This is precisely why it would be hilarious.

TamerKoh

World of Chaos Super Deluxe...
Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2012
Well the show has been following Satoshi for quite some time now. It has indeed grown old. What's truly mind boggling is, despite the number of in-episode days that cycle through, he somehow remained 10 for over 650 episodes.

In all honesty, being a reader of the infamous Pokemon Adventures manga, I would be in favor of that becoming the basis of the anime. It's a really good series, and far better than the anime, in my opinion. Sadly, I doubt this would come to pass anytime soon.

DarkLordEon

Ruler Of Time and Space
Years
I don't mind ash to be honest. Its fine by me, he was really good in hoenn i just wish they made references to the other regions more often in particular to ash's success to some extent.

Years
  • Age 31
  • ME
  • Seen Jan 18, 2012
I just think they don't want to let go of ash and pikachu. The dynamic duo that has been together since the very first episode. More importantly to me; pikachu

The only parts I enjoy in the b/w series is pikachus cute outbursts.
If ash goes pikachu has to go and ultimately no matter what anyone says that would absolutely destroy the series even though seasons 1-5 are the only ones I find worth collecting.

So in short.. naa keep him and pikachu around a while longer

Years
I like to pretend that each season of Pokemon is a different reality. That way each new season can continue to use Ash, but it's not the one same Ash in the other realities. Also, it could contribute to the age old question of his age. To add to this delusion of mine, you can differentiate the different Ash's by the slight art changes and clothing change... but I know it's really just new artists working on the series... Anyways, that is my two cents and keeps the show a pinch fresher than knowing it's just the same 10 year old throughout the whole series somehow trumps the concept of time...

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
Years
I would, but Ash is almost as much of an icon as Pikachu in the Pokemon anime. Not to mention how much easier it is for the creators to keep the same old boring character that still sells.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
Years
Having quit the Anime quite some time ago, I can say that I have no affinity with Ash&Co whatsoever. But I did spend enough time on the Internet and playing the games to know what people can do with the concept of Pokémon. It's perfectly possible to turn the concept into an anime (it doesn't even need to be 100+ episodes, 26 is enough if it's done well) well capable of entertaining the older audience with a story line, character devellopment and artstyle (it doesn't even have to change that much) comparable to some of the better Anime out there. I'm just not too happy with the goody-goody neverending loop that is the current Pokémon Anime. It's so predictable.
(Also the reason that I quit.) It is for this reason that I like the movies more than the actual series. At least the movies /tried/ to put in a more "mature" story line, sure Ash would always end up saving the day, but at least there was some plot. :B

I would just like it if the anime makers would remember that they have a share of first/second/third gen fans and give them something neat. There's like 0 possibility, but hay, one can dream, right?

I remember the Pokémon Specials like Raikou Legend of Thunder being more exciting than your avarage Pokémon episode. Though I didn't quite agree with Marina/Crystal's character, I loved Kenta. Yes, I want different Protagonists and yes, like said before, the Pokémon special manga would be a nice idea to use as a base. It's drawn somewhat childishly, but it definitally has some darker moments. (Like Blue and Silver being abducted when they were young, the original Pokéholders petrifying and go on~)

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2012
Maybe if they had started changing characters each time they changed a region, it would have been okay. But instead they decided to keep Ash and Pikachu and change the female character every generation (excluding 2nd) instead.
The anime is geared towards kids, which seems to make it imperative that the plots are G rated and predictable, and the characters shallow and forever young. I don't think they will ever make Ash get older, and I don't think they will ever replace him.

My hope is that, rather than replacing Ash, they make a side series geared for Pokemon's older audience, making it more bearable. Actual, complex plots and deep, unpredictable, developing characters who actually have flaws. I also hope this for games, maybe a T rated game with some romance in the story would prove to be more entertaining than the same old plot rehashed like what is seen in the current games. However, I doubt this will ever happen. Why? Because even if they make a different anime with a PG13 or a T rated game, stupid parents will be like 'it's a cartoon' and let their kids watch it, then complain about how it isn't fit for children.

:c

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
I agree, a pokemon series geared towards an older crowd would be awesome. just started reading pokemon adventure (manga) and plesantly suprised how... non kiddyish some of the stuff is.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
If Ash leaves I will. No reaosn to replace him once Ash is gone the Anime should be gone. They have done this before in other shows and each time is has failed.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
If Ashy-boy leaves, it'll give me a reason to watch again. He is the most annoying, most narcissistic, and least intelligent protagonist of any show I've ever watched. And one of the ugliest, to boot. He needed to be retired seasons ago. Him and his stupid rat. And hopefully any new protagonist would be nothing like him. Meaning they would be intelligent, wouldn't brag about becoming champion every two minutes, and wouldn't be an eyesore to look at or a pain to listen to. And they wouldn't be going around with unevolved Pokemon for multiple seasons. A female protagonist would be ideal, but honestly ANYONE would be better than Ash at this point.

Do I think this will ever happen? No, they've kept him stringing along so long that it would cause widespread panic and protests if they did give him the axe. But we can dream, right?

feralig8rx

PokeFanatic
Years
I would have liked to see Ash leave after Johto. I know that's kind of odd but to be honest I always pictured Ash having a comeback and a second chance at the big league.

However, I would not be opposed to having a new lead every season. I hate to compare animes, but I like what they did with Yu-Gi-Oh! and protagonists. If only pokemon took the same approach, I think I would have seen more seasons of pokemon.

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
If they changed it I would stop watching. Well if they changed it to much. Its obvious Team Rocket are leaving after BW but if Ash left people would rage.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
I wish the anime was like the Adventures manga where there's new protagonists and rivals in each saga but the characters from the previous saga still appear as supporting characters. I also think it should be like the Legend of Thunder special where the main characters go their separate ways but then they team up when a legendary Pokemon gets into trouble.

ROBO-BOY

The Monkey Man
Years
Here is what I think...

I think Ash is getting old. But, I don't wanna see him gone for good... yet.
I think they should make a series where it follows a new Protaganist, someone who wants to battle FOR THE FUN OF IT, NOT THE F*^$%@#! FAME OR MONEY! However, I wish that they journey with their brother(yes, main is a girl) and her best friends, Mike and Clare. I think Ash should be the main character's RIVAL in the series, but not turning up every second episode like Paul did.

Years
  • Seen May 1, 2023
I also wish that they would change the main character, only because i've been watching since day one and want to see ash become a pokemon master..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back