• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 21, 2013
Look for the bank.map. Find the coordinates that you want to put the player in, then enter all that info into SMCA. It's that simple really.

Well I figured as much but I can't find where the map says what it's bank.map is, where do I find that at? Should I just write over a previous map then? :paranoid:

droomph

weeb
Years
Well I figured as much but I can't find where the map says what it's bank.map is, where do I find that at? Should I just write over a previous map then? :paranoid:
In AMap right next to the map title is two numbers xx.yy. The first number tells which bank it's (kinda like a folder of maps) and then the second number is the actual map number. So bank.map, xx.yy, whatever, that's where you find the (basic) map number.

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
For those who SMCA doesnt work (like me), you can do the stuff manually, simply open an Hex Editor and change the value at 0x0054A08 (x axis) to your liking.

Haven't found the Y value though.

Kaith

Hacker of Fire
Years
So I'm using Advance Map editing a FireRed rom. I'm currently creating a cave and was wondering how to get the black hole, the one that's sometimes on the floor and you can drop through, to connect with the floor underneath.
(For reference, I have the top floor as Map 3.20 and bottom Floor as Map 3.46)

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
Guys, I have a question:

A lot of times I bumped here in people discouraging using A-Text. To my grief, they were right, that A-Text bastard screwed up my scripts, even though I said him to use space from A00000 to avoid part rewriting, however it didn't give a damn and still use the first free offset when repointing.

Then goes my question: how to do it without A-Text using say, XSE for instance? It seems that people use that, but how? XSE is for scripts, not for text editing, isn't it? How would I change the start menu names, for instance?

Thanks

Years
You need to use Translhextion and a Table file. If you're using FireRed, then this is the table file you should use.

Load your ROM in Translhextion, then in the Script menu select Open Thingy table and select the .tbl file you downloaded. A notice will pop up, press Ok and then in the new window that appears check the "Thingy View Active" bar.

You can now search for text using Alt+F and replace it with Alt+H.

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
Yeah but the text should have the same length isn't it? I've tried to edit it but it obviously torn up my rom.

Years
Yes, it has to be the same length. If not, search the ROM for a pointer to the text and repoint it. This is quite hard to explain, but say the text you want to change is located at 0x145c00.

Make a script in XSE with your new text, regardless of length, like this:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @1
= Hello this is a string of text\nand it may or may not be longer\lthen the original part of text.

Compile that to your ROM in XSE, save the offset in Notepad, and then load your ROM in Translhextion (or whatever hex editor you want).

Now, remember the original offset was 0x145c00? Well, we need to turn that into an offset. We do this like so:

[14] [5c] [00]

Reversed:

[00] [5c] [14]

Add [08]:

[00] [5c] [14] [08]

So now we search the ROM for 005c1408. We then replace that with the pointer to our new script.

Say we compiled that text to 0x800000, we then need to make that into a pointer:

[80] [00] [00]

Reversed:

[00] [00] [80]

Add [08]:

[00] [00] [80] [08]

So we replace 005c1408 with 00008008.

That should work, though I'm not 100% sure. Back up your ROM and test it out, then get back to me if there are any problems.

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
As I understand, it does the same as A-Text, except that I have more control over it. All I need to do is to create a big jumbo script for all the strings, then locate each one of them with A-Text.

Goddamn it's a lot of work... Gotta delegate this to someone.

Thanks though

Years
I know this has probably been asked many times before and I think I may have a long time ago but where can I find the inis for after Route 101 in A-Text?

Also in Advance Map, the city/town names, etc under "From INI" are in German. Is there anyway I can turn this into English? The map headers, however are in English.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
My problem is that in my Pokemon Ruby hack, the name of the map doesn't show up when you enter it. For any map.

Under the "Header" tab in AdvanceMap, I have Show Name On Entering set to Show Name [01], and the type is set to City [02] for one particular map. Any ideas?

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
I know this has probably been asked many times before and I think I may have a long time ago but where can I find the inis for after Route 101 in A-Text?

Also in Advance Map, the city/town names, etc under "From INI" are in German. Is there anyway I can turn this into English? The map headers, however are in English.

You don't really need them, just use the Search function inside and search for the beginning of your text, then click Write To Ini to put in there.

There's a lot of work, but I really suggest you to not change the dialogs from this tool but from XSE directly.

droomph

weeb
Years
My problem is that in my Pokemon Ruby hack, the name of the map doesn't show up when you enter it. For any map.

Under the "Header" tab in AdvanceMap, I have Show Name On Entering set to Show Name [01], and the type is set to City [02] for one particular map. Any ideas?
There is an array of names, and there can be only so much in one game. If you want you'll have to remove one of the preexisting cities and then make your new city/area on top. If you want new towns however may I recommend using Emerald instead?

droomph

weeb
Years
How do I find certain text in XSE? There's no text search button there.
It's indirect but simple. Instead of explaining it to you I'll just give you an example.

Let's say you find a text at 0x800000. So now what you would do is look for the pointer to that offset, which would be 00 00 80 08. So using a hex editor, search for that string of four numbers. Usually there will be only one mention of that pointer in the entire ROM. Then record the offset, and then on XSE decompile one byte before that offset (eg if the pointer was at 0x700000 decompile at 0x6FFFFF). And through the Smart-Decompile it will decompile that string of text. Yaaay

Kaith

Hacker of Fire
Years
So since my previous question got shot by, I'm just gonna repeat it.

So I'm using Advance Map editing a FireRed rom. I'm currently creating a cave and was wondering how to get the black hole, the one that's sometimes on the floor and you can drop through, to connect with the floor underneath.
(For reference, I have the top floor as Map 3.20 and bottom Floor as Map 3.46)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back