• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
At the moment im not sure why you'd even use DD Salamence. Its basically hard walled by faeries (if it uses Fire Blast) or skarm, scizor, forry, ferro etc and friends if it uses Iron Fail.

DD Salamences niche was being able to get perfect coverage and be basically un-wallable with 3 moves and sweep late game which it no longer has the luxory of. Garchomp or Tyrantrum are probably better at the <stat up move> attacking thing simply because they hit stupidly hard and have a secondary good typing to hit faeries with and in chomps case all it needs to do is run stone edge>fire fang to nail Togekiss and maintain good coverage.

At this point i can only see it running some sort of mix set, otherwise it seems very meh.

Salamence@ Life Orb
Rash/Naive Nature
4 Atk / 252 S.Atk/252 Speed
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Iron Tail
- Brick Break

or at a push

Salamence@Choice Band / Choice Scarf
252 Atk / 252 Speed / 6 Def
Naughty*/*Naive Nature / Adamant Nature / Jolly Nature
Trait: Moxie
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast* / Fire Fang
- Iron Tail

Yeahhh..... lol.

DDer has 4mss imo as it cant hit what it needs to and is just really meh.

Red Viper

Pokémon Collector
Years
I wanna build a competitive meowstic female. IF anyone has a good set please post in reply to me
This is my set and I think it's quite okay:

252 EV Sp. Atk, 252 EV Speed, 4 EV Sp. Def
Nature: Modest
Ability: Infiltrator
- Psychic (STAB, can also be replaced with Psyshock)
- Shadow Ball (To get rid of Ghost types)
- Signal Beam (To get rid of Dark Types)
- Calm Mind

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
This is my set and I think it's quite okay:

252 EV Sp. Atk, 252 EV Speed, 4 EV Sp. Def
Ability: Infiltrator
- Psychic (STAB, can also be replaced with Psyshock)
- Shadow Ball (To get rid of Ghost types)
- Signal Beam (To get rid of Dark Types)
- Calm Mind

I disagree with the nature. Timid is the better nature so Meowstic can outspeed as much as possible.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
How good is Delphox in competitive battles?

I was thinking of using her in the future...

Delphox is kinda mediocre, tbh. Its weaknesses to Stealth Rock and Stone Edge/Earthquake/Surf/Hydro Pump/Pursuit make it hard for it on OU. These are its best bets:
-Fire Blast/Overheat
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Grass Knot/Shadow Ball/Switcheroo
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze

or
-Calm Mind
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Grass Knot/Shadow Ball/Substitute/Wish
Nature: Timid/Bold
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe (Timid) or 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef (Bold)
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Blaze

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2015
my ditto is

mild + alert to sound - 31 sp att + 31 Speed

quirky + like to thrash about - 31 att + 31 Def

modest + take plenty of siestas - 31 hp + 31 Sp Def

does anyone know if all above nature and Characteristics can make perfect iv when breeding? i just get it from gts randomly.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Does anyone happen to know which pokemon to breed with Charmander for Dragon Dance, Focus Punch, and Crunch? Also for Marill, Aqua Jet and Belly Drum.

Floette

Fairy Trainer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 14, 2013
What's the best nature/spread for Florges? I want to run singles with it. Type coverage in the moves is useful, as it's for the Battle Café rather then wifi battles.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
What's the best nature/spread for Florges? I want to run singles with it. Type coverage in the moves is useful, as it's for the Battle Café rather then wifi battles.
An offensive set would be nice. Even though I haven't played X and Y, I'm betting this would be the best for offense and coverage.

Florges @ Life Orb
Ability: Flower Veil
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpD go with platinumdude's evs
Moves: Calm Mind / Moonblast / Psychic / HP Fire

Calm Mind can help to further boost Florges' already high SpA and bring its fantastic SpD to great levels. Moonblast is the main STAB move here. Psychic deals with Poison types and HP (Hidden Power) Fire deals with Steel types, simple.

Is Hp imporant for a garchomp. I have fantastic stats for all but HP and Sp def and its Jolly. OR should I keep trying?
Hidden Power would be underwhelming due to your Garchomp's Jolly nature, but it's still okay to keep. Also, low HP (Hit Points) and SpD would mean that it would not be able to take special attacks as well. Stick with Outrage/Dragon Claw, Earthquake and Stone Edge/Poison Jab (for coverage).

And by 'keep trying', do you mean by breeding for a better Garchomp? If it is, it all comes down to you imo.

Last edited:

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
Years
Is Hp imporant for a garchomp. I have fantastic stats for all but HP and Sp def and its Jolly. OR should I keep trying?

The only thing that Garchomp doesn't need is SpA. Everything else is very useful on it, and you should just keep trying for 31/31/31/x/31/31 spread on it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Does anyone happen to know which pokemon to breed with Charmander for Dragon Dance, Focus Punch, and Crunch? Also for Marill, Aqua Jet and Belly Drum.
Focus Punch and Crunch aren't good options for Charizard X in standard, as well as Charmander in Little Cup. Focus Punch takes prediction to use, since the move will fail if the user gets hit by an attack. Crunch doesn't provide notable coverage and it triggers Aegislash's King's Shield. But if you must know:
-First, breed a female Charmander with a male Gyarados/Horsea/Seadra/Kingdra/Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite/Axew/Fraxure/Haxorus that knows Dragon Dance until you get another female Charmander with the move.
-Breed that Charmander with a male Scraggy/Scrafty that has Focus Punch and Crunch.

As for BellyJet Azumarill, breed a female Marill/Azumarill with a male Poliwag/Poliwhirl/Poliwrath/Politoed that knows Belly Drum until you get a female. Then breed that offspring with a male Golduck/Kabuto/Kabutops/Buizel/Floatzel/Alomomola that knows Aqua Jet.
Consider that Florges' offensive move pool is shallow. But it can string together just a couple sets for it to be effective:
-Wish
-Protect
-Moonblast
-Aromatherapy/Toxic
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 SDef

or
-Calm Mind
-Moonblast
-Psychic
-Hidden Power (Fire)
EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 Spe
Just keep it.

Jimmyray

Bish Bash Bosh
Years
Something has been baffling me since I started competitive battling in this gen regarding priority/speed. I've been running Mega Alakazam in my team who has the ability Trace and a base speed stat of 150. A few times I have been outsped and cannot understand why. Please bare in mind that my Alakazam is Modest with 31 IVs in Speed and max EVs in speed too. 2 instances that I can clearly remember are as follows:

1. The match begins and my opponent sends out Gyarados, who proceeds to mega evolve. I switch into Aegislash and absorb Waterfall nicely, but after a failed attempt to used Swords Dance & Iron Head, Aegislash faints from 2 Earthquakes. I then send in Alakazam and mega evolve him, thinking I will easily outspeed him as Mega Gyarados has a base speed stat of 81 and I have a base speed stat of 150. I then proceed to use Dazzling Gleam but to my surprise Gyarados gets in there first and uses Waterfall for a one hit KO. I know he's not choice scarfed as he's used 2 different moves so I'm baffled by this point but with only Blaziken left, I send him out and use protect for the speed boost gain and proceed to 1HKO the Mega Gyarados with High Jump Kick. I have been thinking and thinking and I just don't understand why my Mega Alakazam was outsped. Gyarados' ability is Mold Breaker and that has no significance on speed. My ability is Trace so I gained Mold Breaker as well. Neither Waterfall or Dazzling Gleam are priority or last priority moves. As far as I'm aware there is no item he could have been holding that caused this to happen. My speed is nearly double Gyarados AND Blaziken's so I just really cannot fathom what happened here.

2. In the second instance, Mega Alakazam was faced with a Kingdra. It was already raining and my opponent had just switched out of Drizzle Politoed via Eject Button. I had just switched into Alakazam. Kingdra has a base speed of 85, but admittedly this one did have Swift Swim which (I think) doubles his speed to 170. So Alakazam Mega evolves and traces Swift Swim. Therefore Alakazam's base speed surely should be doubled to 300. 300 clearly > 170. So I go for a Dazzling Gleam, yet Kingdra manages to get in there first with Surf. Can somebody please explain? (I'm operating under the assumption Kingdra would not run with Swift Swim AND a Scarf)

I have no issues outspeeding Mega Gengar and other disgustingly quick opponents so I just cannot understand what has happened here. Sorry for dragging this post out but I wanted to give clear details on the situations. I would be massively grateful if someone could tell me what I'm missing.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Something has been baffling me since I started competitive battling in this gen regarding priority/speed. I've been running Mega Alakazam in my team who has the ability Trace and a base speed stat of 150. A few times I have been outsped and cannot understand why. Please bare in mind that my Alakazam is Modest with 31 IVs in Speed and max EVs in speed too. 2 instances that I can clearly remember are as follows:

1. The match begins and my opponent sends out Gyarados, who proceeds to mega evolve. I switch into Aegislash and absorb Waterfall nicely, but after a failed attempt to used Swords Dance & Iron Head, Aegislash faints from 2 Earthquakes. I then send in Alakazam and mega evolve him, thinking I will easily outspeed him as Mega Gyarados has a base speed stat of 81 and I have a base speed stat of 150. I then proceed to use Dazzling Gleam but to my surprise Gyarados gets in there first and uses Waterfall for a one hit KO. I know he's not choice scarfed as he's used 2 different moves so I'm baffled by this point but with only Blaziken left, I send him out and use protect for the speed boost gain and proceed to 1HKO the Mega Gyarados with High Jump Kick. I have been thinking and thinking and I just don't understand why my Mega Alakazam was outsped. Gyarados' ability is Mold Breaker and that has no significance on speed. My ability is Trace so I gained Mold Breaker as well. Neither Waterfall or Dazzling Gleam are priority or last priority moves. As far as I'm aware there is no item he could have been holding that caused this to happen. My speed is nearly double Gyarados AND Blaziken's so I just really cannot fathom what happened here.

2. In the second instance, Mega Alakazam was faced with a Kingdra. It was already raining and my opponent had just switched out of Drizzle Politoed via Eject Button. I had just switched into Alakazam. Kingdra has a base speed of 85, but admittedly this one did have Swift Swim which (I think) doubles his speed to 170. So Alakazam Mega evolves and traces Swift Swim. Therefore Alakazam's base speed surely should be doubled to 300. 300 clearly > 170. So I go for a Dazzling Gleam, yet Kingdra manages to get in there first with Surf. Can somebody please explain? (I'm operating under the assumption Kingdra would not run with Swift Swim AND a Scarf)

I have no issues outspeeding Mega Gengar and other disgustingly quick opponents so I just cannot understand what has happened here. Sorry for dragging this post out but I wanted to give clear details on the situations. I would be massively grateful if someone could tell me what I'm missing.
In Wi-Fi and Battle Maison battles, the opponent gets the +1 turn priority when you Mega Evolve. That's why it's helpful to have Protect or Fake Out to ensure the Mega Evolution goes off safely. Or you can Mega Evolve as the opponent switches to be on the safe side.

Jimmyray

Bish Bash Bosh
Years
In Wi-Fi and Battle Maison battles, the opponent gets the +1 turn priority when you Mega Evolve. That's why it's helpful to have Protect or Fake Out to ensure the Mega Evolution goes off safely. Or you can Mega Evolve as the opponent switches to be on the safe side.

But I'm sure I've switched in against Mega Gengar before with Alakazam, and then mega evolved and taken it out with Psychic?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
But I'm sure I've switched in against Mega Gengar before with Alakazam, and then mega evolved and taken it out with Psychic?

That's not how it works. Here's how it works:
-You Mega Evolve
-The opponent moves first before you do. End of story. That's why it's safe to Mega Evolve as the opponent switches. Remember that Mega Gengar's Shadow Tag doesn't take effect the turn it Mega Evolves.

Jimmyray

Bish Bash Bosh
Years
That's not how it works. Here's how it works:
-You Mega Evolve
-The opponent moves first before you do. End of story. That's why it's safe to Mega Evolve as the opponent switches. Remember that Mega Gengar's Shadow Tag doesn't take effect the turn it Mega Evolves.

Okay that would explain the 2 situations I mentioned at first, but literally in the last battle I had, not 20 minutes ago, I sent Heracross out against a Clefable, I mega evolved, and I moved first, then Clefable used Dazzling Gleam. Why did I move first in that situation if the opponent gets +1 priority when I mega evolve?

EDIT: And also, that still doesn't explain how I can outspeed an already mega evolved Gengar on the same turn that I mega evolve (with Alakazam)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Okay that would explain the 2 situations I mentioned at first, but literally in the last battle I had, not 20 minutes ago, I sent Heracross out against a Clefable, I mega evolved, and I moved first, then Clefable used Dazzling Gleam. Why did I move first in that situation if the opponent gets +1 priority when I mega evolve?

EDIT: And also, that still doesn't explain how I can outspeed an already mega evolved Gengar on the same turn that I mega evolve (with Alakazam)

The situation I explained before only works in Wi-Fi and Battle Maison battles. It's not there in standard in-game battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back