• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst Shiny Experience

ChocolateCrunch

Not an old man. x]
Years
Worst shiny experience: My rival had a shiny Oshawott (Hugh) so I restarted my game. He then had another shiny Snivy this time. It was so annoying, why couldn't I get a shiny?!

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Geez, this thread is such a depressing read at times; I feel so bad for all of these Shiny Pokemon mishaps, as well as Trainers who have never even seen/encountered a Shiny Pokemon.

The ONLY shiny pokemon I've ever seen in the wild is a Ralts. Do you want to know where? It was the one Wally caught in Emerald. -_- You heard me. I had to fight a shiny Gardevoir the rest of the game. I wanted to cry when I saw that thing.
What's your worst experience with a shiny Pokemon?
Just for the record, I challenge anyone to come up with anything worse than what happened to me. Hahahaha.

Wow; that's so sad...I take it that you don't rebattle him, even for the experience? :P

My worst shiny experience is when I met a shiny Stantler. I was RNG abused the two roamers Raikou and Entei. I'm about to RNG a Latios, then this shiny stantler comes up. Seriously, right after I caught my RNGed Raikou just to test if i get it right :(. I ended up catching both raikou and entei and could not rng my latios at all since if I want to RNG it, i need both raikou and entei.

Yikes. :<

It was a shiny Hoothoot in Eterna Forest in Platinum, but I was with that girl with the Chansey so two wild Pokémon appeared at the same time. Stupid girl KOed the Pokémon I attacked, and my Pokémon attacked the Hoothoot instead, killing it.

On Iron Island with the guy I'm supposed to help. His Pokemon knocked out a shiny Graveler. I was so mad!

I'm guessing you two are referring to Stat Trainers..? These guys seem to be ruining a lot of people's shiny Pokemon experiences... XD

I wish I could remember the generation (I think it was II) or the Pokemon, but the first shiny I saw I didn't know what was going on. It was a weak Pokemon that I had already caught for my Pokedex. Since I didn't realize what a shiny Pokemon was...I just killed it and took the experience. You can imagine how I felt when I realized what a shiny was. :(

Aww D:

Pokemon Diamond - Chain of 54 Abras.

Shiny.

Teleport.

djafldsjfadsjsdklfjsd

Shiny rabuta berry...I mean basculin
Wild basculin used final gambit!

What. WHAAAAAAAAA

I'm always worried about the day coming where I find a shiny Pokemon that has an easy way to flee or self-inflict the Faint status, most notably in the Safari Zone or something. >.<

Worst shiny experience: My rival had a shiny Oshawott (Hugh) so I restarted my game. He then had another shiny Snivy this time. It was so annoying, why couldn't I get a shiny?!

:cer_laugh:

As for me, I'm grateful to have at least encountered multiple Shiny Pokemon, and catching my first one, at that. However, my worst shiny experience is probably losing every single shiny Pokemon I've owned, TWICE (or possibly even THRICE, since I've lost 2 cartidges and 1 save file). The first instance is when I lost my Sapphire cartridge, which contained my first Shiny Pokemon ever, a shiny Golbat (from Meteor Falls, IIRC). :( I lost a second Sapphire cartridge as well, but I can't remember whether any shiny Pokemon were there, too. I know for a fact that I've had a shiny Golbat on one of the two Sapphire cartridges, though.

The second (or maybe third) instance is when my Emerald save file got deleted (from what I can tell, this was purely due to the cartridge accidentally jiggling/joggling while I was saving right before a Secret Base battle; no cheating devices have been used on the Emerald cartridge). If memory serves correctly, I had a shiny Fearow (traded over from FireRed and a shiny Surskit (which I hatched in Emerald). Instead of recovering the previous save file, the game goes and tells me "The save file has been deleted due to corruption or damage.", at which point I basically cried. In my current Emerald save file, I have a Shiny Whismur from Desert Underpass (which is the only Shiny Pokemon I currently own/can prove the existence of, for now), so I guess that's something. :/

My other "worst Shiny experience" is encountering a foe Shiny Kingdra in Hoenn's Battle Tower, encountering a foe Shiny Ampharos in Hoenn's Battle Factory (which I owned for a while when I swapped for it :P), and being offered a Shiny Charmeleon at the start of a Hoenn Battle Factory run (which I selected, of course). The reason these are bad Shiny experiences is because I can't outright own the Pokemon in question...the Battle Factory examples are probably worse, since I get teased with the Pokemon and can only own them for up to seven battles. XD T_T

Other than the above, I'm constantly paranoid of encountering a Shiny Pokemon (shiny starter Pokemon, Birch's foe Poochyena, Wally's Ralts, etc.) whenever I temporarily start a new game/save file. I grapple with the question of whether or not I would consider restarting my 900+-hour save file just for a shiny Pokemon (most likely, it would have to be 2 Shiny Pokemon, or a Shiny Pokemon I like more than Shiny Whismur). The stories I'm reading in this thread aren't helping matters any. XD

dragonfly_dust

Look at my avatar! Nuff said.
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
I remember playing Emerald, all I had to do was get Rayquaza. I saved my masterball for this moment so I didn't have to train and level up my pokemon for the occasion.

However...surfing my way to the island...a shiny level 10 Wingull popped up. All pokemons I had with me could crushed it in one hit so I had to use my masterball...on a useless level 10 pokemon with a lax nature all because of the color palette.

I was ungratefully unhappy that day...CURSES!!!

Chaos Fork

Anything Goes
Years
All right, I don't actually legitimately own any shiny pokes yet. Not counting the red gyarados, everyone has that. But I remember the time where I was in pearl (by far my LEAST favorite pokemon game) and the first battle was on.
Shiny Starly.
Start of the game.
No pokeballs.

Years
Another worst Shiny experience for me was when I was playing my brother's Diamond, and caught 3 shinies. Not kidding you know, 3 of them.

Unfortunately, one of them was a silly Unown. Yes, an Unown (U Form to be specific). I was happy it was Shiny, but I hate Unown in general.

Inferna

hello stranger, i'm a disaster
Years
I caught a shiny Wurmple, which evolved into Dustox in Diamond but my little brother deleted the save file and it was lost :c I caught it in a double battle in Eterna forest, I had to kill Chansey before it killed the Wurmple x3

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2013
Only ever met on shiny besides gyarados despite playing for years and years. Also a shiny ralts. But in platinum. Saw it beside... Hearthome? Yeah. I forget sinnoh's city names cuz quite frankly I don't know how to pronounce 80% of them xD (heart-home? Hearth-ome?) anyways back on topic. I had dialga at the front of my party and it was like a lvl 17 ralts. I switched to the only party member I had near its level, my lvl 18 bibarel, and freak teleported instantly. I completely forgot to expect this. So I was mad and sad as idk what (it was male and I didn't have a gallade yet not either a psychic or fighting type on my team so it would have been perfect) but no. Teleport. I'll never forget that moment. Also it counts as my best shiny experience xD

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I've had pretty good luck with shinies. I've found and captured at least 1 shiny on each of my games. However, the saddest moment involving a shiny Pokémon was when I encountered a shiny Graveler in Pearl Version that used Explosion. It wasn't the first shiny I found on that game (my first was Gastly), but it was the first time ever that a shiny had slipped through my fingers. I wanted to cry! However, less than 10 minutes later, I found a shiny Machoke and caught it, so that made things a little better.

Next to that was a shiny Quagsire I found in Platinum's Great Marsh that fled. I love Quagsire and would've loved to have a purple one. ;_;

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
Critical hit on a shiny Sealeo, then a bit later, encountered two Bronzors in Wayward cave: One shiny, the other not, I knocked out the non shiny, and then Mira ko'd the shiny bronzor... in one hit!

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
After reading a bunch of these posts I feel quite special for having caught all three shinies I've run into.

leaves thread

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
Worst shiny experience...
Well, I haven't run innto a whole lot of shiny's, but my third time running into one was awful.

In Emerald, I was fighting Registeel. Surprise surprise, it was shiny. I tried my hardest to catch it (you have no clue ><) but in the end, it struggled itself to death.
Ah.

heyo

HEYO!
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Worst shiny experience? I have two; one happened to me and the other happened to my friend.

What happened to me actually started out as the best shiny experience ever. I started a new game on my Crystal version for fun, and ended up saving over my old file because the day care gave me an egg that hatched into a shiny Tyrogue. I managed to get that thing into a level 40 Hitmonchan, which was my best friend at the time. Then, one day, while I was playing it at a summer camp program, a kid took my Gameboy from me, released my Hitmonchan, and saved the game. I cried for two days.

What happened to my friend had me laughing for two days. One day, he was playing his Crystal version at my house, and managed to find and catch a shiny Krabby. He evolved it into a Kingler, and was really happy because it learned Guillotine. Then, my other friend threw a pillow at him. This pillow, which was tossed very lightly into his direction, had slightly hit his Gameboy in his hand. This caused the game to restart, and somehow delete his save file.

RenegadeClyde

....'-'.
Years
Shiny Wingull: I just started the game and picked my starter pokémon. I was on my way to find and battle may, and guess what I've found. Yep, no pokéballs. Trough I've found ANOTHER one later in the game and catched it.

Shiny Electrode: Awww yeah! I've found a shiny electrode! Let me find my pokéballs... "Electrode used SELFDESTRUCT!"...T-T.

heyo

HEYO!
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Actually, this just happened to me right now.
BADWORD_zps8d6afb73.png

And I don't even have my Pokedex yet.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
BADWORD_zps8d6afb73.png

Personally, I'd have used a cheat to add Pokéballs to my bag while in the battle.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Worst shiny experience...
Well, I haven't run innto a whole lot of shiny's, but my third time running into one was awful.

In Emerald, I was fighting Registeel. Surprise surprise, it was shiny. I tried my hardest to catch it (you have no clue ><) but in the end, it struggled itself to death.
Ah.

Ouch. :x

Worst shiny experience? I have two; one happened to me and the other happened to my friend.

What happened to me actually started out as the best shiny experience ever. I started a new game on my Crystal version for fun, and ended up saving over my old file because the day care gave me an egg that hatched into a shiny Tyrogue. I managed to get that thing into a level 40 Hitmonchan, which was my best friend at the time. Then, one day, while I was playing it at a summer camp program, a kid took my Gameboy from me, released my Hitmonchan, and saved the game. I cried for two days.

What happened to my friend had me laughing for two days. One day, he was playing his Crystal version at my house, and managed to find and catch a shiny Krabby. He evolved it into a Kingler, and was really happy because it learned Guillotine. Then, my other friend threw a pillow at him. This pillow, which was tossed very lightly into his direction, had slightly hit his Gameboy in his hand. This caused the game to restart, and somehow delete his save file.

Oh gosh, that first situation is just horrible. :< (and that is exactly why I have to monitor anyone playing my Pokemon games, for fear of something happening to my shiny Pokemon, let alone the rest of them. :S)

As for the second situation, that had me laughing quite a bit (and I can speak from experience because, as mentioned in my previous post in this thread, the same thing happened to me, only I didn't get a pillow thrown/tossed at me. :P :cer_laugh:) Those GameBoy game files must be a bit fragile/delicate if a mere pillow can cause a game restart and file deletion...

BADWORD_zps8d6afb73.png

Personally, I'd have used a cheat to add Pokéballs to my bag while in the battle.

Wow. :o I didn't even know there was a cheat to modify Bag items while engaged in battle (on VisualBoyAdvance, that is...).

heyo

HEYO!
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023

I'm not a big fan of cheating, although I did hack the game to change my starter to Pichu. Luckily, once I beat the game on this file, I started another file with Tyrogue and found a shiny Rattata that I caught.

Wow. :o I didn't even know there was a cheat to modify Bag items while engaged in battle (on VisualBoyAdvance, that is...).

You can use any Gameshark code on VisualBoyAdvance. You can also use CodeBreaker or GameGenie codes, but I've never even heard of those before.

Years
some classics classic, first shiny pokemon:Nidoran F in safari zone ._.
2nd Shiny Tauros, Safari zone....
3rd Shiny heracross, Safari zone
]
THE WORST
Shiny Rayquaza in emerald: killed my underleveld team...

Even Today I hate myself for believing in the stupid theory "Keep a Masterball for a week in you PC and you'll get 99"

Back