• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokeClone: A Pokémon engine coded in Python

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2023
PokeClone: A Pokémon engine coded in Python

Introduction

PokeClone is developed by tpw_rules, sonicrules1234 and m.vit, it's intended to be an engine base (like Pokemon Essentials) however coded in Python, allowing for more expandability and variety, the current version is v 0.1 and supports many overworld features. We're using this engine to create Pokemon Bronze, which is currently looking for team members.

Features

As of v 0.15 PokeClone supports:
  • Basic overworld movement
  • Warps
  • Cutscenes
  • Trainer spotting
  • NPC dialog
  • Self dialog
  • Choice dialog
  • Basic surf support
  • Animated tiles
  • Attack System (not battle system)
  • Black/White-like animation
  • Saving

Media

Screen%20Shot%202012-03-11%20at%2010.29.47%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202012-03-17%20at%204.48.43%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202012-03-17%20at%2011.57.07%20AM.png

(More updated screenshots coming soon, feel free to submit your own and I'll gladly add them here)

Dependencies

To be able to use Pokeclone you need:
  • Python 2.6+
  • Pygame
  • PyOpenGL

FAQ

I want to create my own map, where should I start?
If you want to make maps, open up Tiled, select your sizes and go! Make sure you have a "Collisions" layer and use the collisions tileset provided to use them.
What about NPCs/Trainers/Cutscenes?
In the data/maps folder in the source you can find some xmls that share the map's name, for now use those as reference.
I found a bug! What do I do?
In your .exe folder or source folder you'll find a file called exception.txt, paste the contents in Pastebin or a similar service and post the link here.
Where can I find more info about doing (insert here)?
PokeClone's source includes some basic documentation, and in the source link you will be able to find a wiki which will be edited to fit your knowledge needs

Downloads

Developer Channel

If you want to look for some help, discuss about code or new features, feel free to join us on IRC, we're on #pokeclone in Freenode.

Help Wanted!

We're looking for Rom Hackers who can help us translate ROM data into XML files (like Pokémon B/W Animations) and developers who know OpenGL!

Credits

Nintendo and GameFreak for Pokemon
Pokemon-Diamond, Thunderdove and Serebii08 for their amazing tiles
Sonicrules1234 for ROM to XML conversions

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2021
Nice!
I'm going to give this a try right away

Edit: I lol'd at the jesus boots xD

Last edited:

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
Well done. Almost makes me want to continue working on the Python Pokemon game I was helping to create! Hope to see more in the future from you!

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2023
Remember you guys can fork the source and implement your own maps and features!

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2016
I'd fork and help if I knew the slightest thing about what you guys were doing. I've never used PyGame before, and it took me a while to figure out that pokeclone.py was the startup file. D:

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
This is interesting but I'd love to see some screens or maybe a video... if you have as much done as you say media shouldn't be a problem.....

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2023
I'll add some screenshots of earlier builds since I'm not near my desktop at the moment, would be nice to have user submitted screenshots with custom content

godo156

All Hail the Glow Cloud
Years
Don't know if this counts,
Spritetest.png

but here's proof that the player sprite can and has been edited.
Can't edit the game itself because I have no idea how to install python or pygame on my windows 7 computer...

nuzamaki90

Knight of The Volt
Years
Jesus Boots XD

I played with the engine a bit and it's actually really nice, just needs a few more things added to it.

Excited for the next release.

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2023
Quick update to keep this thread from being dead!

We've started OpenGL implementation! (woo!) what does this mean?

Firstly, a new dependency, PyOpenGL.

For now it's implemented in the animation system (yet it's only in the tool, not in the very early battle screen), it brings higher frames per seconds, amazing fluidity in animations (I truly mean it!) and hopefully will make our lives easier with adding bigger content (bigger maps, battle tweens, battle animations) without consequences (frame drops mostly)!

Go ahead and try out the animation tool! It's very easy to load an animation, in your terminal type out the following
python tools/animation_view.py pathtoanimation(must be in data folder) animationname(demo/battle, just check the xmls)

I'll be starting a PokeClone resource git...sometime... so that others can contribute with battle graphics, animations (we need all 649 pokémon!), new features, etc...

Also feel free to discuss features and their implementations here, I was thinking of a universal GTS, just send new fakemon data to a database and watch it sync across all pokeclone games? who knows! virtually anything is possible with python in comparison to other platforms!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2023
I'm officially announcing the first PokeClone-powered game!
BRONZE-VERSION.png

So what is it? Well well well, think about it as a Pokémon Prism 2, a new adventure in the region of Naljo!

I already asked Koolboyman and he said yes, hence why I'm making this announcement.

So, to show the power of PokeClone it will expand upon Prism's features, right now I have a working Pokemon-controlling area and a 2D sidescrolling area, which will be further expanded than Prism's appearance, it will feature new/reworked areas, new dialogs/characters/gym leaders, and hopefully 3D!

Here's a quick teaser, yet i'm sure you saw the titlescreen already in the current PokeClone build ;)

Screen%20Shot%202012-09-16%20at%201.12.57%20PM.png

(Note, even if it's an OSX screenshot, it's Python so it will run on Windows/Linux/OSX! How's that for cross-platform huh?)

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2023
Pokemon Bronze is being mantained by me directly, to try out PokeClone's current flexibility, it's easy to add tiletypes like ladders so far, and adding NPC animations even more. Scripts are an easy deal. But no, it's all private for now and is as advanced as PokeClone, everything I've done so far is easy to reproduce in PokeClone vanilla :)

Back