• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do you think that some of the Unova Pokemon don't even look like Pokemon?

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Teehee... I don't think there's supposed to be something that a Pokémon should look like. There shouldn't be any standard to look out for when it comes to things like this - you know, creativity and expanding on things, huh? That said, I think they all look like Pokémon. :)

damion

Dragon Trainer
Years
i like that they are looking less like animals and coming to their true name pocket monsters just as it was mentioned here. In japan there are stories about creatures and what not, i mean come on it is just a video game and since when did video games because close to reality (same issue i have with tv and reality shows)

im happy with the image of pokemon and i love your pic darkshade good work

Years
I think what you mean is they don't feel like Pokemon. To me alot of Gen 5's Pokemon feel like generic creatures that didn't have much thought put into them. Trubbish is my main example. If I met the guy whose brilliant idea one day was "OMG lets make a trash bag Pokemon!" I would probably beat the hell out of him.

Years
The Unova Pokemon are still Pokemon, looks and all.

I don't even see any reason why they don't even look like Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen May 6, 2023
I repeat pokemon are anything GF says they are! Since when there were anyrule that defines what pokemon are?

Years
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Pokemon used to look like real animals, not counting some. But the majority.
Nonsense.

Generation I gave us:

-Geodude, a rock with arms and eyes
-Voltorb, a ball with eyes
-Electrode, the evovled form of Voltorb which is slightly larger and upside down
-Grimer, a pile of snot
-Muk, the evovled form of Grimer which is the same thing but bigger
-Magnemite, a magnet
-Magneton, three Magnemites stuck together
-Eggsecutor (sp?), a bunch of angry eggs which evolve into a coconut tree (????????!!!??)
-Mr. Mime, a.........mime.
-Jynx, a woman in blackface
-Porygon, an untextured 3D computer model
-Koffing and its evovled form, Weezing, both of which are purple wads of yuk that spew poison gas

Generation II gave us the Unown, a whole legion of Pokémon based on the letters of the alphabet.

Pokémon have always looked that weird piles of random madness. That goofiness is part of what makes the franchise so endearing to me.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
Nonsense.

Generation I gave us:

-Geodude, a rock with arms and eyes
-Voltorb, a ball with eyes
-Electrode, the evovled form of Voltorb which is slightly larger and upside down
-Grimer, a pile of snot
-Muk, the evovled form of Grimer which is the same thing but bigger
-Magnemite, a magnet
-Eggsecutor (sp?), a bunch of angry eggs which evolve into a coconut tree (????????!!!??)
-Koffing and its evovled form, Weezing, both of which are purple wads of yuk that spew poison gas

Generation II gave us the Unown, a whole legion of Pokémon based on the letters of the alphabet.

Pokémon have always looked that weird piles of random madness. That goofiness is part of what makes the franchise so endearing to me.

*highfive*

I agree with this

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 27, 2017
Pokemon are so diverse, we can't really say what "looks like a Pokemon". They can be anything--we've had animal based Pokemon, mythical based Pokemon, humanoid Pokemon, and even object based Pokemon since the beginning. A Pokemon's a Pokemon no matter how simple, complex, realistic or abstract their designs may be.

Shadowed Team

Kanto/Johto Pokémon Master
Years
I have to say, Pokemon Black and White's Pokemon have disappointed me abit. They don't look as good as the previous. Pokemon like Configurous, Yanmask and Klink really aren't that great. Sure, there are some good ones like Unfezant, Haxorus, Zebstrika and the legendaries, but a lot of them are just plain ugly. For most players, looks come first rather than strength.

MagikarpFTW

Pokemon Master
Years
  • Age 26
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 27, 2012
I agree that Pokemon don't have to look a certain way but some of them look like creatures from other franchises such as the Vanillite line that look's like something from Moshi Monster if any of you have heard of that.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
We have SO much Pokémon. There's always going to be low points in creating designs, but at the same time we get used to them eventually. & For me, I'm always looking to try out different Pokémon and there are so many options. The Unova Pokémon make it all the more interesting for me to make choices. Do I want to train a snow cone line or some trash???

But in all seriousness, there's a lot of variety in Pokémon. Unova's just happens to be more related to the region it is located in (there's a lot of trash in NYC). Nevertheless, they were created in a Pokémon game so they are Pokémon.

@MagikarpFTW - Humans also look alike, but does that make them any less unique? u_u

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2014
When I first saw Klink and its evolutions I was like what the hell are they thinking, but theres more anyway.
Pokemon should resemble natural entities and not gears, screwdrivers, washing machines (and the list goes on).

Quixote

Pokemon Researcher
Years
Here's my main gripe with the new generation. The older generation of Pokemon feel like they blended into the "Pokemon World" while the newer ones do not.

Whether it's because of how complicated they look, or because of how the Pokedex goes, they all just strike me as odd. All of the older Pokemon at least fit into some kind of ecosystem while the newer Pokemon feel a lot more, "forced".

Me being older might be something that is affecting me, but there is no denying that the way some of the new Pokemon are projected is a bit odd. If I had seen someone summon a Siglyph or a Digimon Trubbish/Garbodor, I would not have batted an eye.

This is what I mean about the ecosystem thing. A lot of the older Pokemon fit into the ecosystem. People complaining about Muk? At least it explains in the Pokedex that some nuclear waste or something combined with it. Eggxecute? The Pokedex literally says that they are technically seeds so it evolving into a Coconut tree isn't that unbelievable.

A lot of the Pokemon in Black and White feel like someone came up with an idea, and then the next person threw a dart at a bard and that was the Pokemon's location. Cofagirius and Bisharp look like some kind of Yu-Gi-Oh card.

I think the overall complaint with the new Pokemon is that they don't look, natural but at least with the older generations, they look like that on purpose and pretty much have a backstory that explains them while the newer Pokemon just looked like they creators just said "hey I think this might be a good idea" and just went with it.

If you looked into your backyard, could you honestly imagine a family of Throh and Sawk frolicking? At least with Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee, Tyrogue was created to give it more of a natural quality.

Nonsense.

Generation I gave us:

-Geodude, a rock with arms and eyes -Point partially taken
-Voltorb, a ball with eyes -Pokedex states that this was on purpose
-Electrode, the evovled form of Voltorb which is slightly larger and upside down -Pokedex states that this was on purpose
-Grimer, a pile of snot -Purpose
-Muk, the evovled form of Grimer which is the same thing but bigger -Purpose
-Magnemite, a magnet

About the Magnet line and the Koffing line, if they had been found outside of Magnemite and Cinnabar Island respectively; it would have been weird but they are not.

Porygon was created. I will let you have Jynx and Mr. Mime. but I always thought of them as joke characters.

Volcoronawing649

New Recruit
Years
I think a Pokemon is a Pokemon no matter what it looks like. True fans of Pokemon accept all generations and just have fun with the games instead of criticizing them anyways, because the games are a blast, especially the new ones _____________________________________________________________________

Volcarona FTW! Oh and Larvesta, he is cool too...

Last edited:
Back