• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen My name's ???.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
Was I the only one to take this seriously, and when the policeman asked what the rival said his name was, put those three question marks? In Silver, I did just that - it was a brilliant way to name one's rival, but he gave his name as ??? so I named him ???.

I might still do that today just for the lulz but back then I was a stupid kid. I thought that was his name! I laugh at myself sometimes but really, this one is GOLD xD (pun intended!)

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Oh my god, I thought I was the only one who did this haha. When the police officer asked what his name was I just typed in ???, because that's what his name appeared to be. XD; I didn't actually understand that it was just a way of incorporating naming your rival into the storyline. Oooh, the memories.

Last edited:

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
Oh my god, I thought I was the only one who did this haha. When the polic officer asked what his name was I just typed in ???, because that's what his name appeared to be. XD; I didn't actually understand that it was just a way of incorporating naming your rival into the storyline. Oooh, the memories.
Reassuring to know that I'm not the only one, either. I still enjoy the memories of "??? wants to battle!" and really, that makes his name uncertain. Realistically, it only works with him, because every other rival is someone you grew up with except Brendan/May, who come with names.

I think there's a reason why this changed in Generation IV... too many people named him ??? so they had to make it "unintelligible." That was what first got me thinking about this, and now my Crystal replay is too. Though I named him Mat, as in Doormat xD

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
Naming him ??? was the first thought that poppd in my mind but i wanted to see if they would let me name him something else so i named him something else.But having an opponent called ??? brings an aura of mystery around him.

Years
I did this the first time too, haha.

After Black and White came out, I wanted to name him M after Missingno because of the ??? name in GSC and N in BW. But somehow it just wasn't as fun for me because I've already named him about 20 times since then. :(

Last edited:

Elesa

The Shining Beauty
Years
I did that too! xD I don't remember why.. It had to be about when I was in first grade when I got it. I think it might've been 'cause that's what the rival said his name was.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
I know a good many people who named their rival "???." I didn't, but now that I read this from JayTheKing, I think keeping his name as ??? could actually prove to be an interesting experience--I can just imagine a rival that you never even get to know their name...it's a lot more sinister when thought of in that manner.
Naming him ??? was the first thought that poppd in my mind but i wanted to see if they would let me name him something else so i named him something else.But having an opponent called ??? brings an aura of mystery around him.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I thought he was legit, haha. My first time in Silver, I did name him that. I realized that it was probably my cue to name him something naughty, so the next time I played Silver, he was ASS. He's usually Squid or Coach nowadays.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I think I might be the first one here who didn't name him ???. Though I can't exactly remember what I did the first time playing Gold. Later on I named him stupid stuff like "BUTT" or "Poophead" of B**TCH. something a immature 9 year old would do.
Though even in HeartGold I named him Betch. >.>

The Works

Omochikaeri!
Years
I remember playing on my brother's old and dusty GBA and starting up Gold. For some reason it never saved, and since I was like 4 years old, I stayed there in that room in New Bark. A few months later, I started up the game, but I only got far to somewhere before Violet City and after naming my rival.

Policeman: What was his name?

Me: ???

I was stupid back then.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I did that like the first two or three times I played the game before I was like, "Time to name this foo."

Years
Well, after you battled him he said "My name's ???," and I wasn't about to lie to a police officer. Even later on when I battled against him and his name showed up as ???, I was waiting for the big reveal. Took me a while to realise that talking to the officer was your chance to give him a name, and any time after that he was just known as Silver.

93Aiwass

Getting Back into Pokemon
Years
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Yeah, I did this getting started, 'fraid to say. ^_^;;

Love is the Law, Love under Will.

#isthenumbersign
Years
Haha didn't know this many people actually did that, because I didn't. x) But I was always like, "He didn't tell me his name!", so I just put like Rival or something.

93Aiwass

Getting Back into Pokemon
Years
Haha didn't know this many people actually did that, because I didn't. x) But I was always like, "He didn't tell me his name!", so I just put like Rival or something.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Yeah, after I learned this, I started using my sister's name, much like I did with Gary in the Yellow version. ;-P

Love is the Law, Love under Will.

blue

gucci
Years
Hah! I thought I was the only one, I used to just name him "???" as I saw it. That was until I found out his real name was Silver and used that name from then on.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I myself also named him '???' when I first played. This being due to the fact that it was my first Pokemon Game ever so I didn't think that I was able to name him whatever hahaha. whoops.

Back