• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: Animated Sprites in Ruby and FireRed

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
Okay, that should work. Victini has 7 sprites, but i'll see if I can expand it to 8.

ShadowTails

I'm working on a better Avatar
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 7, 2015
I understand, I addressed that later in my post that they'd still stretch and bounce.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
It seems that I've found a "loop" command for those animation codes.
Use: FD FF XX XX ; where XX XX is the number of times the animation will loop (In little endian, of course).
Though it seems to have a limit, the value can only reach ~FDFD times. (From my testing, FFFF crashes the game.)

Note: It repeats the code from the beginning up to the last code before the loop and when the limit is reached, it will proceed to the next code, if any.
Oh, when you do the code like this:
Code:
00 00 09 00 01 00 09 00 FD FF 01 00 FD FF 01 00 FF FF 00 00
[I]'From frame 1 to frame 2 and the animation repeats over and over to no end...[/I]
It seems to loop infinitely with no adverse effects at all.
That means, B/W-style pokemon is indeed possible.

I've tested all this with trainer animations and it works perfectly.
I ought to share it here because I'm quite sure that this can also apply
to pokemon animations. But then I could be wrong...

I might post a video sometime.

For curiosity's sake, I tried the code, and followed the instructions on the first post.
I used a Ruby ROM (obviously).
It did have animations, but the battle won't load.
I mean, during a wild battle, my trainer won't send out his PKMN to battle the animated enemy PKMN. =/
My guess is that it'll also be the same on trainer battles.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
I thought that might happen. I don't know why, but it seems to wait for the animation to end before sending out another pokemon, and it might take some ASM hacking to fix that.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
There's a guy on YouTube that did this like two or three years ago. I'll see if I can find it. But anyways, yeah, it's the same concept. He had animations for Pokémon and the trainer's backsprite in Ruby.

You mean crazybuizel? That's actually who made this whole discovery, and he explained it in the comments of one of his videos, and we later found the tables in Fire Red as well.

I actually made a hack of this to support different animations for each Pokemon (Similar to trainer animations, as they have a table for each sprite), however, I lost it from Windows deciding to erase one of my hard drives on installation. I'll probably recreate it if enough people want it.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
Here are some examples of what I mean. They are not indexed, but there is a way to inserted non-indexed images in Advanced Sprite Editor made by Wichu.

Attachments are below.

Last edited:

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
Years
You mean crazybuizel? That's actually who made this whole discovery, and he explained it in the comments of one of his videos, and we later found the tables in Fire Red as well.

I actually made a hack of this to support different animations for each Pokemon (Similar to trainer animations, as they have a table for each sprite), however, I lost it from Windows deciding to erase one of my hard drives on installation. I'll probably recreate it if enough people want it.
Yep. That'd be it :P Was looking for so long, and couldn't find it D:

Haru~

Can't resist the chubbiness :3
Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2012

For curiosity's sake, I tried the code, and followed the instructions on the first post.
I used a Ruby ROM (obviously).
It did have animations, but the battle won't load.
I mean, during a wild battle, my trainer won't send out his PKMN to battle the animated enemy PKMN. =/
My guess is that it'll also be the same on trainer battles.

That's a drag...
I knew it was too good to be true.

But shiny quagsire is right, it'll require ASM.

But if done on trainer animations, does it work for you?

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2012
I need some help. how do I re point the offset ? I'm using NSE HEX editor, I dont even know where to put the code ! I'm new in rom Hacking.

I open the HEX editor , select Sprite Table and then went to 2349B and I dont know what to do next :/

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
How about a step by step tutorial about this with pictures? I understand some of those but I'm stuck at repointing the offsets and using AltariaKing's code

Another question, if I successfully do it, can I use Wichu's Sprite Editor to add Sprites into the frames or do I have to use another program like unlz etc?

EDIT: Finally did it! At least I think so. But the problem is the sprite only blinks no matter how many times I edit the sprite in unlz? I think I need help.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 29, 2013
You find a ASM routine at 0x3F860
I want very much to have a wild battle with animations
but my understanding with ASM is very bad

please help!

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Ok, I got it to work but, i have 2 questions... :D

Does anyone know how to implement this to the enemy only? Cause I don't need the backsprite to be animated. (It's because I'm using Emerald Sprites...)

Do I have to just put another Backsprite to make the Illusion that it's not moving? ? :/

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2013
Animations table in this 308CBC
But not to animate the backsprites
if you do, freeze the battle

I say this because already worked with before Pokemon Emerald.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Animations table in this 308CBC
But not to animate the backsprites
if you do, freeze the battle

I say this because already worked with before Pokemon Emerald.

No, I'm using FireRed but Importing Emerald Sprites... :/

Thanks anyway when you make the 2nd frame like the 1st frame it looks like it doesn't have an animation at all... :D

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2013
Perhaps with a ASM routine would be possible insert a
Pokemon Emerald animation...
...this is my one desire:
"a NEW ANIMATION".
...But I do not know anything about creating ASM routines...

timson733333

Woah.
Years
Is it possible to change some animations in Emerald? I'm currently toying around with some sprites in Emerald but it's really annoying when the 2nd frames don't line up with the 2nd frames of the original Pokemon I wrote it over.

Back